1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Dec 29, 2008.

1. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

i wear db's without socks a lot (not with shorts) and i feel fine. not clarks though

2. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

I saw these in person last week, and the quality is pretty terrible. Even at a cheap price, it's frustrating to wear a pair of leather shoes that look lousy. For a pair of budget wingtips, I feel that you could do better with another mainstream brand like Bostonian or Johnston & Murphy. You can often catch Allen Edmonds on ebay too.

I have to dissent. I have 3 pair of these. Two pair I have worn quite frequently for almost 3 years. I do a lot of heavy walking in NYC and these have held up quite nicely. I get compliments on them quite often.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

The "barefoot DB with shorts" look doesn't work for me. There is actually a whole thread about whether or not this is kosher while The GAP and J Crew have been putting the look out there. Some can pull it off but I'm sticking with boat shoes and sandals.

It looks odd to me whenever I see DB sans shocks with shorts. I can't pull off that look so I stick to boat shoes.

4. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

you know they make dress shoes in different widths?
    Yes, and have tried all widths except for E which I know would be too wide for me/look ridiculous.

5. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Well-Known Member

why don't people jive on DBs sans socks? bucks = unlined suede or nubuck. DBs = unlined suede, people don't have qualms about the former.

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

Is J Crew like most brands where everything in their Outlet store is not sold in the regular Jcrew store? I picked up a Small Tailor fit from the outlet today for $25

7. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Well-Known Member

why don't people jive on DBs sans socks? bucks = unlined suede or nubuck. DBs = unlined suede, people don't have qualms about the former.

On me the DB's show too much space between the ankles & top portion of the shoe which doesn't look right. Plus, right now my legs are too white. Once I get a nice summer tan I might reassess.

8. justtemple

justtemple Well-Known Member

I personally like the look. Just not on myself.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Is J Crew like most brands where everything in their Outlet store is not sold in the regular Jcrew store? I picked up a Small Tailor fit from the outlet today for $25

Yes, at least that's the case for the J.Crew outlet closest to where I live.

10. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Well-Known Member

I don't, but the J Crew model does...

I always thought in those pictures, they wear ankle socks.

Never tried it, but since suede is pretty warm and adding the sun shinning on them the entire day, it would seem like it can be pretty sweaty for the feet.

11. Crakaveli

Crakaveli Well-Known Member

just a warning on the broken-in jersey polo, it fits small. i had to exchange it for a larger size.

12. joel_954

joel_954 Well-Known Member

I wonder if J.Crew will have a Independence Day sale in a few weeks?

13. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

7.5 inch opening

Gracias that's about as small as I prefer. How tall are you about? I did see you're a 32W so on a 30W that may be smaller. I am liking the slim fit and details. Did you find that the inseam runs shorter on these than the other J.Crew chino's or are they about the same?

I copped the green plaid madras shirt today from my local store. I was going to pay full retail as it was the last small in store and I've been eyeing this up for a while and to my delight it was on sale for $49 when I checked out. Nice.

14. ctrlaltelite

both the slim fit lightweight chino and the urban slim fit chino i bought were marked 32/30. the inseam on the lightweight chino is significantly shorter than the other one. this could also be attributed to the gigantic rise of the urban slim fits. edit: here's a crappy pic of the lightweight chinos with shoes. the hem works better with DBs probably but i have no qualms about their fit here. [​IMG]

15. Yardsale

Yardsale Well-Known Member

cuff those chinos man, they look like highwaters (in a bad way) there.

16. JKISSI

JKISSI Well-Known Member

Yeah yardsale hit it right on the head..

17. ctrlaltelite

18. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have gotten em so short, man. Just sayin.

19. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

both the slim fit lightweight chino and the urban slim fit chino i bought were marked 32/30. the inseam on the lightweight chino is significantly shorter than the other one. this could also be attributed to the gigantic rise of the urban slim fits.

edit: here's a crappy pic of the lightweight chinos with shoes. the hem works better with DBs probably but i have no qualms about their fit here.

Yeah I would say it looks significantly shorter...hmm, now I'm thinking I should get a 32" inseam since these you have are a 30 and seam mad short. Could you give me an idea of the actual inseam on yours? I called J. Crew on a measurement of the 30 and 32 inseam lengths and they just told me they were 30" and 32" respectively...I know that shiz ain't right.

20. ctrlaltelite

Shouldn't have gotten em so short, man. Just sayin.

yeah, i just got a pair of the hemmed classic fits back from the tailor today and they fit fine, seeing as to how i haven't worn either pants OUT out yet i am probably going to return them both. thanks to the constructive criticism i realized i'm not totally sold on the lightweight chino and really can't see much wear coming from them, comfortable as they may be.

Yeah I would say it looks significantly shorter...hmm, now I'm thinking I should get a 32" inseam since these you have are a 30 and seam mad short. Could you give me an idea of the actual inseam on yours? I called J. Crew on a measurement of the 30 and 32 inseam lengths and they just told me they were 30" and 32" respectively...I know that shiz ain't right.

yeah i'll have to check on this later tonight.