• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

BigC222

Reaction score
In what world should you expect an off the rack garment to fit perfectly? Are you making an argument that J.Crew suiting needs to be tailored? When does a RTW suit not need to be tailored?

I don't. My whole point is to say that tailoring more time and money than what you suggested.

Tailoring pants does not take a couple of days. I'm not even sure it takes a couple of hours.

That's why I said tailoring JACKETS AND PANTS...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visted the Men's Store at the Grove today. Left w/ a Harris Tweed blazer at 30% off. Wouldn't stack student discount, but will take it back to my local store in Vegas and try again. If not, still a decent deal.

Overall, was fairly impressed with the Men's Store offerings. Haven't ever seen a store like that. Also tried the o/w 484 selvege jean. Seemed alright, but extremely similar in fit to the Gap Skinny of 3 years ago that did very well (for half the price, nonetheless). Passed on that. Had quite a few Barbour Internationals at the store for $420 or so; selfishly, was quite pleased at having bought mine years ago for $150 on the forum. Hopefully even with Barbour in the #menswear sphere right now, post-Skyfall, it won't become an overly trite coat.

Lots of W+B, even some of the "archive" Thomas Mason shirts (extremely overpriced at $165 a piece for prints über-similar to their secret wash shirts). Had a decent suiting selection too. Staff overall seemed generally nice, although quite a few of the guys there were in obviously-over-tight sport coats, etc. Oh well.

Fun overall to experience, and managed a good jacket. Sean assisted me, and was one of the SA's who seemed more competent and knowledgable than your standard Holiday-help. Said that the store may be stocking Alden's actively come Jan/Feb.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Nice, glad you got to check it out. Damn I always seem to be at J.Crew right before a sale. I would have liked to get the Harris Tweed at 30% off.

jasonleb1

Reaction score
Nice, glad you got to check it out. Damn I always seem to be at J.Crew right before a sale. I would have liked to get the Harris Tweed at 30% off.
It's 30% off online still.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Visted the Men's Store at the Grove today. Left w/ a Harris Tweed blazer at 30% off. Wouldn't stack student discount, but will take it back to my local store in Vegas and try again. If not, still a decent deal.
Overall, was fairly impressed with the Men's Store offerings. Haven't ever seen a store like that. Also tried the o/w 484 selvege jean. Seemed alright, but extremely similar in fit to the Gap Skinny of 3 years ago that did very well (for half the price, nonetheless). Passed on that. Had quite a few Barbour Internationals at the store for $420 or so; selfishly, was quite pleased at having bought mine years ago for $150 on the forum. Hopefully even with Barbour in the #menswear sphere right now, post-Skyfall, it won't become an overly trite coat.
Lots of W+B, even some of the "archive" Thomas Mason shirts (extremely overpriced at $165 a piece for prints über-similar to their secret wash shirts). Had a decent suiting selection too. Staff overall seemed generally nice, although quite a few of the guys there were in obviously-over-tight sport coats, etc. Oh well.
Fun overall to experience, and managed a good jacket. Sean assisted me, and was one of the SA's who seemed more competent and knowledgable than your standard Holiday-help. Said that the store may be stocking Alden's actively come Jan/Feb.

HAHA. Small world. I was there too, at around 3-4PM. Sean is a good kid. He transferred there from the Topanga Canyon branch. He used to help me there too.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAHA. Small world. I was there too, at around 3-4PM. Sean is a good kid. He transferred there from the Topanga Canyon branch. He used to help me there too.

Cool - would have just missed you though, arrived around 4 myself.

You mean to tell me I missed the chance at an actual SF meetup?! Dreams shattered...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scored the Stonehall jacket for $69.99!

Originally 228, was on the sale rack for 99.99, got the current 30% off promo.

Not worth $228, but def a good piece for $70

This sort of math is how I feel about most of their products. good snag.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

In what world should you expect an off the rack garment to fit perfectly? Are you making an argument that J.Crew suiting needs to be tailored? When does a RTW  suit not need to be tailored?

My ludlow suit came very, very close to being perfect. No need to take the jacket in at the sides, just a bit of shortening the sleeves to suit my taste ( I like showing a little more cuff). Pants needed some shortening because a 32 inseam was too short and the 34 I ordered was too long (I'm about a 32.5 for a nice slight break).

Any suit needs tailoring or not, depending on a lot of factors, including not only the cut of the suit but also the body it is going on. In my opinion, Ludlow suits are about the closest to fitting right off the rack of any RTW suits I've ever seen.

AtMyHands

Reaction score
i got the Hamilton in green (M65 jacket-esque) for $41 total (originally $179)

I thought it was a steal and looks much better than every other M65 type in the $40 range.

Here is the grey one (which I don't like as much). I got it in a size small which is a tad tad tad bit large but luckily the jacket has cords at the waist and the hips to slim it up!

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation...5~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~hamilton/93137.jsp

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the current Jcrew "allerton" suede wingtip and the older ones in the past that use to be made in Italy? Or are the current ones still made in italy?

LukeM

Reaction score

Scored the Stonehall jacket for $69.99! Originally 228, was on the sale rack for 99.99, got the current 30% off promo. Not worth $228, but def a good piece for $70
Got any pics of you wearing it?

Last edited:

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked up a pair of the navy sweatpants, real soft and not too baggy. very comfortable!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads