1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Therendition, Jul 23, 2012.

1. myk7000

myk7000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have both the Harris tweed jacket and the Abraham Moon tweed jacket as well? Had a chance to feel both at the J.Crew store briefly, but didn't get a real chance of evaluating the two.

Curious to see what others think.

2. rdstour

rdstour Well-Known Member

I had last season's Ludlow Tweed, and the cut was different than the standard ludlow fit. Had more structured shoulders etc. Not sure how this season's Harris Tweed jackets are like.

In terms of material, there's just no comparison. Harris tweed is much heavier, thicker, tougher IMO compared to the Abraham Moon Tweed.

3. slider17

slider17 Active Member

they had 40% off earlier this year, online.

4. Treaty of Versailles

Treaty of Versailles Active Member

Regarding the university coat that they are having a final sale on. I figured I'd share the specific measurements given to me by a rep. The slim large has a 49" chest and a 48" waist. The slim medium has a 46" chest and a 45" waist. Basically the thing is enormous. It seems that one should size down if he feels like getting one.

Also while we are on the topic of wool coats, is it possible for tailors to take in the waist without taking in the chest just beneath the armpit?

5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I've tried both, I own only the Abraham Moon. The Moon is a softer tweed. I prefer it, maybe because it stands out a little from the usual tweed, maybe because it feels a little more luxurious. The fit is nice without being overly slim; it's basically the Ludlow fit. My sleeves feel just slightly long, as I like to show a little more shirt cuff than is customary, so I might get that altered eventually. But other than that, I think it's a great jacket.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. myk7000

Thanks for the details. I'm generally quite a fan of the quality of Harris tweed, but wonder if I can save myself the 100-200 by going with the Abraham moon without compromising any real quality.

Merry Christmas Eve everybody btw

7. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

8. jslade

jslade Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas, all. What kind of sales does J. Crew historically have the day after Christmas?

9. Sartorial604

Sartorial604 Member

Not sure historically but tomorrow all marked down items in store are 50% off

10. myk7000

50% off of the lowest price?

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Last time I checked the clearance part of the local store, there was junk. The final sale items online look like nothing to get excited about either. I'm hoping for wider sales in January.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Well-Known Member

How long does the current sale last?

13. birdsg

birdsg Active Member

In store sales today were next to none

14. thonez

thonez Well-Known Member

Local J Crew had a bunch of different fair isle sweaters (almost all sizes on hand) in the clearance rack near closing on the 24th, as well as a bunch of other sweaters. Might be worth checking out if you've been holding off on getting one.

15. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of the fair isle style, overall. But thanks. Darn it, though, if I didn't go to the store anyway and pick up a non-sale item, the mast stripe slub jersey long-sleeved crewneck t-shirt. (It replaces one that I got too big a few years back, so the purchase is rationalized.) Incredibly simple shirt but I feel so cool and relaxed in it.

16. mbrokerny

mbrokerny Well-Known Member

Has anyone received the student discount on Alden's lately?

17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

My retail therapy today also included three vintage repp-style neckties (one by Southwick) and a new Harris Tweed by Wigens driver's cap.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. sdedalus1

sdedalus1 Well-Known Member

Want a few things in the sale section on the website: should I hit up the extra 25% off that ends tonight, or hold off for a better deal?

19. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Looking for this in small (not factory version)
    [​IMG]

20. thonez

thonez Well-Known Member

buy now before it's gone. 5% more ain't worth the risk of waiting