1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by constant struggle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mikejones

mikejones Well-Known Member

2. djh

djh Well-Known Member

yea i swear i saw the marled shawl cardi available in all sizes yesterday afternoon...
    i was thinking of getting it, just wanted to sleep on it for a night. didn't realize they'd sell out so quickly.

3. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

are you an Omahan? hmm... that makes atleast 4 of us now.

crazy.

I just now checked this thread again. Yes, I am. A couple more and we can do an SF in Omaha meet. Picket the J Crew or something.

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Kind of basic/plain, but I'd thought this would work well underneath either of my brown leather jackets, with my usual cream safari shirt and jeans:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8299/98299.jsp

I have that one. Unlike my recent bad experience with the shawl collar, this particular cardigan fits perfectly, and seems to be high quality stuff--nice details, solid material and construction. It's light, simple, and classic.

5. mikejones

mikejones Well-Known Member

I have that one. Unlike my recent bad experience with the shawl collar, this particular cardigan fits perfectly, and seems to be high quality stuff--nice details, solid material and construction. It's light, simple, and classic.

I think its a good product, kind of a throwback to their glory days of the early 90s when they made good stuff. I just am not sure if its worth $85, is there a coupon anyone is aware of, or an alternative, for say $40?

6. djh

djh Well-Known Member

What bad experience did you have w/ the shawl collar? I'm thinking of getting some sweaters from J.Crew -- which should I avoid? EDIT: nevermind, found your post in the cardigan thread.

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I tried to get some sizing advice from j. crew customer service on the Spencer Jersey Cardigan. I'm probably more confused now. There seems to be little difference between the dimensions of a L and an M, in the body lenght, sleeves, and shoulders, and even the chest--only about an inchin each area. But then the chest size drops quite a bit with an S--from a 43 and 42 in the L and M, respectively, to a 39 in the S.

I'm worried that if I go all the way to an S I'll end up with something too tight. At the same time, I was really swimming in the L.

8. adamha21

adamha21 Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in a few of the gloves and hats J Crew offers this fall. The only thing disappointing about J Crew is the prices considering everything is made in China.

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

Anybody have Jcrew's flannel? For some reason..my store doesn't carry any of em. I was wondering how it feels.

10. robin

robin Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in a few of the gloves and hats J Crew offers this fall. The only thing disappointing about J Crew is the prices considering everything is made in China.
    Some of the accessories seem to be made in the UK.

Anybody have Jcrew's flannel? For some reason..my store doesn't carry any of em. I was wondering how it feels.
    It's very soft, though it doesn't feel sturdy like a flannel from Filson might.

11. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

I think a few of my J Crew ties are made in the USA.

Also, does anyone know how the quality is on the wool/cashmere Sutherland topcoat?

12. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Oh shit guys, the new union suits have dropped. [​IMG]

13. Calden

Calden Well-Known Member

^ It looks like something else has dropped too.

I tried to get some sizing advice from j. crew customer service on the Spencer Jersey Cardigan. I'm probably more confused now. There seems to be little difference between the dimensions of a L and an M, in the body lenght, sleeves, and shoulders, and even the chest--only about an inchin each area. But then the chest size drops quite a bit with an S--from a 43 and 42 in the L and M, respectively, to a 39 in the S. I'm worried that if I go all the way to an S I'll end up with something too tight. At the same time, I was really swimming in the L.

I'm 5'10", 160#s, 38" chest and the small fits me perfectly. I bought a medium at first but it was a little bit too big in the shoulders and the sleeves were too long. I would order both and send back the one that doesn't fit.

14. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Well-Known Member

my knit tie is made in italy

15. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

No that's the back, so there's no reason to assume that the droop in the fabric is the result of... oh.

[​IMG]

16. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I'm 5'10", 160#s, 38" chest and the small fits me perfectly. I bought a medium at first but it was a little bit too big in the shoulders and the sleeves were too long. I would order both and send back the one that doesn't fit.

Thanks. Is it meant to look oversized? The thing that really bothered me about the large was that there was no waist suppression--fit like a tent, straight from the shoulders, and well past the belt/pocket line. Does yours fit closer? (In other words, like the model pics?)

17. e23

e23 Well-Known Member

This is a bit ridiculous, I just clicked on another flannel shirt that was supposedly on sale, but when I click on it, FULL PRICE.

Why do they do this to me?

18. djh

djh Well-Known Member

Their website is a mess.. I almost never buy anything online from them anymore.

Besides, the sales in stores are so much better -- this weekend they had an extra 50% off the sale items in store.. I picked up two shirts at $15 each. (And $10 purcell-knockoffs...)

19. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

Also, does anyone know how the quality is on the wool/cashmere Sutherland topcoat?

I just got home and checked the ties and they are indeed made in the USA.

20. adamha21

adamha21 Well-Known Member

Some of my Jcrew ties are made in the US, some are made in italy. A few of their accessories are made in the US or the UK.

Everything else is China though.