1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Teger, Jul 10, 2009.

1. bye4now122

bye4now122 Well-Known Member

How much? So I dropped into my fave thrift shop today and found a Ralph Lauren equivalent of the j. crew hunting jacket! 30 bucks. Perfect condition, looks hardly worn. No breast flap pocket, just a regular pocket, but otherwise very much the same. Nice heavy cord. My size, fit is spot on. 30 bucks!
    Uhh It's like $30 off. It's not a very expensive bag to begin with.

2. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

True, that.

I don't dig the black, unfortunately.

What dya think of my $30 RL hunters jacket pickup, eh? It feels pretty damned classic.

3. Fluery

Fluery Well-Known Member

4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

I think it's awesome. I don't think $200 is a bad price, considering other brands probably would market this much steeper. But yeah, it might go on sale late December, early January. On the other hand...

Depends how much you like it. I sometimes figure you got a take a chance with full retail if you're enough in love with a thing.

5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

When I was in the thrift shop today, not only did I score a lovely hunters jacket that is much like the current j. crew offering but also I saw and tried on a lot of RL j. crew looking stuff, namely 70s-80s tartan l/s shirts and some sweaters. Is this j. crew's secret? is the crew just recycling vintage RL?

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the Mariner's Sweater? I like it, but I don't really want to drop nearly $200... [​IMG] http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9861/19861.jsp
    If'n I sawed that mutha in the store, I would be humpin my skinny ass to the coin counter in record time.

7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

When I was in the thrift shop today, not only did I score a lovely hunters jacket that is much like the current j. crew offering but also I saw and tried on a lot of RL j. crew looking stuff, namely 70s-80s tartan l/s shirts and some sweaters. Is this j. crew's secret? is the crew just recycling vintage RL?
    Anyone?

8. elgordoboy

elgordoboy Active Member

"Anyone?" lol. ^^ Appears to be a sad and lonely man. At the same time I understand what that says about me that I am here to make this comment.

9. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Ha ha, yah, simply in dire need of external validation of my mundane observations. Nothing new.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I think it's awesome. I don't think $200 is a bad price, considering other brands probably would market this much steeper. But yeah, it might go on sale late December, early January. On the other hand... Depends how much you like it. I sometimes figure you got a take a chance with full retail if you're enough in love with a thing.
    I also think it's a nice sweater. Price isn't bad, IMO.

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Yeah, price seems reasonable to me.

12. synovoid

synovoid Well-Known Member

went to the store, and tried on the chambray shirt. I would say it's a lot better than the GAP chambray. just not eager to pick it at full retail price, waiting for thanksgiving 20% or 30% off.

13. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

If'n I sawed that mutha in the store, I would be humpin my skinny ass to the coin counter in record time.

That's the same price as the Millerain jacket. I'm seriously considering reallocating the funds to purchase this. Why can't I be rich instead of handsome?

14. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

In the Paramus NJ store today, I spotted the Fatigue jacket in a faded back color. Looked great in that shade. Almost went for it, but instead went for the Regular Fit Vintage Cargo Pants. I mean, when will I ever again get he chance to buy a pair of pants in the color LIGHT UMBER?

These have grown on me since August so I finally went for it.

15. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Well-Known Member

Got the Military Mockneck Wool Cardigan and it's time for a review.
    I think they only sell it online.

Thanks for the write up. I dig this piece too. FYI, it's available in at least some stores--my local one carries it.

16. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up. I dig this piece too. FYI, it's available in at least some stores--my local one carries it.

Right on brotha. It's a great piece. Now I also want the black one but jeeze.....I guess if it goes on sale? Can't drop another $168 right now.

Hey Robert, regarding the RL's aren't you stuck with the lame horsie logo or whatever? I'll pay the extra at J Crew to keep away from that.

Also, while watching the Angels vs Red Sox game yesterday there was a Verizon Wireless commercial. The main actor was sporting J Crew's green fatigue jacket. I had to freeze frame it in my Tivo to confirm all the details and there was no question about it. I also have a sad life [​IMG]

17. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

No, no visible logo on the hunters sport coat. Would have passed on that, too. I don't normally "thrift" but there's one store here that is "upscale"--very picky about what it takes in. I saw some really decent sweaters that I almost picked up too, most in the 20 dollar range from LaCoste, LL Bean, as well as some Fred Perry polos. Also saw some sweaters from the 1960s by Towncraft (JC Penny) that looked very decent and fit slim. Was surprised by that.

18. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on how warm and fitted the Sutherland herringbone topcoat is in M? Item #99853.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...9853/99853.jsp

FWIW, I've ordered the charcoal grey herringbone tweed 'legacy' sportcoat from F/W '08 in 40R and it fit me great.

19. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Also, is 'thinsulate' something that you can buckle/button/velcro/zip in later, or is it an additional layer under the lining (i.e. 'built in')?

20. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the differences between all the fucking chinos at J Crew and which one they prefer?