1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

J Crew 484 fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BradKincaid, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BradKincaid

BradKincaid Member

Does anyone have any experience with J Crew Essential Chinos in 484? I am a pretty slim guy and I read (on this site) that the urban slims can be wide in the hips, pretty much like the classic fit. The J Crew Chinos can be ordered unhemmed, which is great because I probably need a 29 waist and a 33 inseam, I just want to make sure the fit will be appropriate. These are primarily for work wear in a business casual environment, so I don't want skin tight pants nor do I want parachute pants.

Obviously I would like to try them on in a store, but I believe these are a catalog/online only item. Worst case scenario I can order them and return them, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say first.

Any help regarding the 484 or urban slim fit will be appreciated, as will as comments on the J Crew Essential chinos in general.

Thanks

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

No experience with the 484, but the previous comments re the Urban Slim Fit having wide hip/seat is bang on - too much excess material in the seat.

I recommend taking a look The Gap Slim Fit pants.

3. BradKincaid

BradKincaid Member

Looks like I will have to visit a Gap and try out those pants since I can get them with a 34 inseam. Are there any other brands of chinos that come in extra long sizes or unhemmed (that are under the $80)? I think I want a cuffed pair of khakis, so I definitely need an unhemmed option.

4. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

484 is extremely slim. If you have ever done a calf raise in your life, they will probably look like a woman's garment.

5. Harbin

Harbin Well-Known Member

size down 2 on the urban slims and they are perfect imo. 484 have too much taper and yeah not enough room in the calves

6. PepcidAC

PepcidAC Member

I second this.

7. Preparatory

Preparatory Well-Known Member

I have another question. I have a pair of chinos in Jcrew Urban slim fit 30/32 and they are a tad too slim. How will the 484 fit me in 31/32 you think?

8. GeorgeCostanza

GeorgeCostanza Member

Long time lurker first time poster. J Crew sales rep here.

If you've ever touched a weight in your life I'd stay away from the 484s. They can look great but only if you have the frame to pull them off. Like one of the above posters said, they can start to look way too tight way too quickly. I tell everyone in store to stay away from them unless they're built like a twig.

Size down one from your reg jean size in urban slims and they should fit like a dream, at least that's what I've found. If USFs don't fit in 30/32 because they're too slim I'd say you'd need at least a 33/32 in the 484s.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012