1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I've become a soccer (football) fan

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Mr. Checks, Jan 3, 2008.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

There are so many virtues about the game that it's hard to describe, but right now I'm taken by the FA Cup run of Chasetown, and how that's next to impossible in anything else (except perhaps March Madness).

You should read "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby

and you should watch the European Cup 2008

2. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Well-Known Member

Ed, you should see Zidane playin' and see how art is football?

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Ed, you should see Zidane playin' and see how art is football?

lol I love watching Zidane play, he's fluid as could be.

That said, i think my favorite soccer clip of all time is when he head-butted the Italian in the WC final.

4. Gav

Gav Active Member

5. Gav

Gav Active Member

6. kwilkinson

[​IMG]

That's the one!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hermes

hermes Well-Known Member

... just watch any current season arsenal match - they're playing such a beautiful game right now that even some players and coaches from other teams mention it and that they wish their team can play the way arsenal does

8. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

Yes, soccer is wonderful. 2 hours of exciting near misses. Hooligans. Ape sounds made by the fans and banana's thrown on the field at black players. Players killed when they make a mistake. Incredibly drunk fans at the games. More f*cking sponsorship logos than NASCAR. I'll stick with baseball and college basketball, thank you.

Isn't a no-hitter four hours of near-misses? (and isn't that exciting?)

One thing I do like about US sports is the total absence of drunks, boorish behavior, and corporate invovlement.

9. Mr. Checks

You should read "Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby

and you should watch the European Cup 2008

Read a bit of it this weekend, and then punked out and rented the movie (the British one). Book is much better.

One of the great things about soccer is there's always a tournament to follow, so, yes, I'm excited about Euro 08 because I can only get Premier League and Serie A matches now, so I'm excited about seeing the other players.

10. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Read a bit of it this weekend, and then punked out and rented the movie (the British one). Book is much better.

One of the great things about soccer is there's always a tournament to follow, so, yes, I'm excited about Euro 08 because I can only get Premier League and Serie A matches now, so I'm excited about seeing the other players.

Fever Pitch movie was a huge disappointment. Another great little book I recently ran across is "The Far Corner: a Mazy Dribble Through Northeast Football".
    http://www.amazon.com/Far-Corner-Dri...9465881&sr=1-1

Simon Kuper's "Football Against the Enemy" is also worth searching out.

I take it you get the Fox Soccer Network? [​IMG]

11. kwilkinson

Fever Pitch movie was a huge disappointment. Another great little book I recently ran across is "The Far Corner: a Mazy Dribble Through Northeast Football".

FSN---awesome! I get that and GolTV, but it seems like the GolTV is always in another language... I don't care, I just turn the volume down. Great stuff!

12. millionaire75

millionaire75 Well-Known Member

FSN---awesome! I get that and GolTV, but it seems like the GolTV is always in another language... I don't care, I just turn the volume down. Great stuff!

I have both as well (also RAI for serie A). GolTV plays a little too much german soccer for my taste

13. Mr. Checks

Yep, I have Fox Soccer. I don't think anything else is available around here, although some some bars/clubs show Sky (?) or something like that.

I will check out the other books, thanks.

14. Mr. Checks

Gawd i love football [​IMG]

Over here football(soccer) is more or less life for most blokes, myself included. Right from birth you have your team, in my case Heart Of Midlothian FC based in Edinburgh. You follow through thick and thin and some sort of strange bond appears...

A recent match i was at...come on the Hearts!!!! It's hard to explain but the feeling was immense...

Enjoy!!!

The video was great (especially the second goal).

While people are bonded to their sports teams here too, I really like the fact that there are so many levels and leagues to watch there.

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

Max Bretos 4ever!

[​IMG]

16. djs488

djs488 Well-Known Member

For me, it started when I bought Fifa 07 last winter. I have become a huge USMNT fan and watched every game of every tournament this summer. I watch a lot of the champions league, and random weekend games on FSC and GolTV from time to time. But still, I don't think I'll ever be as wrapped up in it as the NFL. I have season tickets to the Ravens and haven't missed a game in over 5 years. That being said, I have absolutely no interest in the NBA, or even college sports.

17. kwilkinson

For me, it started when I bought Fifa 07 last winter. I have become a huge USMNT fan and watched every game of every tournament this summer. I watch a lot of the champions league, and random weekend games on FSC and GolTV from time to time. But still, I don't think I'll ever be as wrapped up in it as the NFL. I have season tickets to the Ravens and haven't missed a game in over 5 years. That being said, I have absolutely no interest in the NBA, or even college sports.

I saw the USMNT vs Brazil in Soldier Field. We were at midfield in the second tier (shaded section).

Amazing game!

18. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Well-Known Member

^^^ My only exception was March Madness.

What's cool about soccer is that, in the FA Cup right now, there's a beer league team that fought its way through 7 rounds to play against a fully professional team that is 6 leagues above it in the English system, having already beaten a team 5 leagues above them.

And its 1 all at half time...

I'm a Cardiff fan, and wouldn't mind a replay back at Ninian Park - both teams might get some tv money then....

19. jkennett

jkennett Well-Known Member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    Fox Soccer is such crap.... The matches that are leftover from the other networks... If you have DirecTV order Setanta Sports, a sports channel based in Ireland. They apparently have first pick over the football matches that are available in North America. $14.99 extra, but well worth it to be able to sit down and enjoy some good sport action. Also... in addition to the football they play rugby, aussie rules football, irish hurling, gaa football, all the good stuff. http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/T...Schedules.aspx

20. Mr. Checks

And its 1 all at half time...

I'm a Cardiff fan, and wouldn't mind a replay back at Ninian Park - both teams might get some tv money then....

Well, Cardiff came back and won, but Chasetown was very happy to be in it. I could only see the highlights on tv, but it was a great story while it lasted.

In the US they'd already been making a movie about it, but I understand that the match wasn't even shown live in England, a real shame.