1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

ITT: Barware, Cocktail Accessories, Bitters, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 13, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

You should try water that's been distilled multiple times. :)

2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I've read that if you make ice with water that has been twice-boiled, it will be clear. Haven't tried it, though.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Going to try an ounce of my cask conditioned manhattan experiment tonight.

4. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

What should be the purpose? I think what's mostly causing the milkiness are the minerals. I may be mistaken though. Anyway, you don't remove minerals by boiling.

Enjoy Piob! Stir it in yer fancy glass.. I hope it all played out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. denning

denning Well-Known Member

They say the oxygen diluted in the water causes the lack of clarity. Boiling causes it to escape hence, clear ice.

6. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

So it gets H2 instead of H2O? Hm.. maybe just less concentration. I don't know. I'm waiting for my table water filter to arrive. The Belgian tap water just seems weird.. I want to at least filter it once. It hardly has any minerals whatsoever cause they tear the water apart so I guess the lack of minerals might help the ice to stay clear, maybe. Unfortunately, the water isn't hard at all and therefore unusable in my Espresso machine. Gotta get bottled water for that. Oh well.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

There's oxygen dissolved in the water, and that is what is getting removed. It's not stripping the hydrogen literally off the water molecule :lol: That would make hydrogen gas.

The dissolved oxygen turns into tiny little bubbles when the water freezes, and that's what makes the ice cloudy and/or crack more easily.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  8. Piobaire

9. CBrown85

Very nice. Have you had the opportunity to mix drinks for others with it? Stuff like this can always be good conversation.

Two things:
    1. Cinzano needs to be refrigerated. I learned this the other day- won't happen again.
    2. Hendrick's is not a good gin for the negroni.

Plate was inherited and the glasses were a wedding gift from Tiffany. I thought it looked good. shrug.

Summer is over, what would be a good ''fall cocktail'' to display? I think it would be neat to have ''seasonal'' ingredients to display.

[​IMG]

10. Piobaire

I really find Hendricks is best in a G&T and few other things. I'm not a Negroni fan so can't advise on what would be good. Nice set up there.

Just got the mixing glass Thursday and have not had anyone over since then.

11. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Hm. Not sure whether there really is an answer to that. Probably cocktails with bourbon, scotch and such as base (as opposed to gin)? Or to generalize, maybe brown liquor rather than white -- or, if you use white liquor, then choose a charateristic one of that family and use strong mixers? I think sours are more summery too, at least imo.

Glad you agree that Hendrick's doesn't work well. I like it with Beefeater a lot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  12. CBrown85

Yeah- it's really nice even with just a splash of Perrier and lime. Keith mentioned that anything less floral (so it doesn't compete with the Campari) is preferable and after a taste he's right. In college I mainly purchased Gordon's so maybe I'll try a bottle of that next summer.

I was leaning towards something burbon-based. Might be time to go back to ol' faithful- I'll get a nice sugar bowl and set it up with bitters and a good-looking bottle of something. Never tried Bullett (sp?) and it seems cheap enough up here. Generally stick to Knob or Makers.

As a general aside, I'm going in with my brother for a small cask. Going to get on the aged-cocktail train with everyone else circa 2010. Piob seems to be having success.

13. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Will you preinfuse the cask with cheap madeira or something?

Pio, do you enjoy Aperol? I really think you should probably give Gran Classico a shot. I haven't tried it yet but AC is a fan (maybe he can chime in... are there some different flavors than there are in Campari?). What don't you like about Campari in general?

14. CBrown85

Haven't thought that far ahead- but that seems to be what a lot of people are doing.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I associate bourbon with summer. Nothing says fall like rye whiskey. Rittenhouse BIB is a good one for cheap. Try a Black Manhattan (Averna substituting for sweet vermouth).

16. Piobaire

Can't remember what I did not like about the Campari but just remember really, really not liking it. I still have a bottle...maybe I will take a taste later today and remember why I disliked it.

17. CBrown85

It's heavy on the chinotto. Acquired taste.

18. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Re: the ice discussion..
    So, my newest batch. I boiled it twice (;)). However, it also has like no minerals at all. So I'm not sure what caused the clarity. Anyway. 2/3-3/4 of the cube are clear. Then there's one heavy milky part and some veins. Looks quite fun actually. But has anyone an idea what could cause this? I'm not sure, but I guess it's the part that was close to the other "cube molds" in the tray so that part cooled slower.. or maybe the opposite, i.e. the edge part that frosted more quickly (would make more sense actually).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

^
    Concerning this:

Actually, what makes the ice white isn't the minerals but the oxygen. Even if you boil the water 5 times it still doesn't matter, because oxygen desolves in H20 at room temperature too.

I have done extensive research on the internet, and I have obtained the best results with "directional freezing". Ice freezes from the outside to the inside - that's why most of the ice cubes are cloudy in the middle. The oxygen is trapped inside the ice cube.

You can avoid it though by using "directional freezing" I mentioned. What you do is insulating the container on all the sides except the top. This way the ice freezes gradually from top to bottom and it is really clear, somehow all the oxygen gets pushed down. You have a perfectly clear ice block

This video illustrates one of the ways you could do it. You don't have to use the foam, but an igloo cooler or anything else that has the insulating capabilities. For me it proved to be the definitve method, and it is relatively simple. This guy says not to freeze all of it, but stop the process 3/4 through to prevent the water from expanding. I don't know what happens if you freeze all of it? Maybe you just cut off the cloudy bottom, I have to check this.

The only hassle is with cutting the ice block in the smaller cubes, but at least this way you obtain bigger ones which is beneficial for your cocktails. And forget the boiling or filtering, I do it with tap water and it works every time.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

(edit: spelling)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Is that guy seriously rubbing the ice all over the place in his sink? :uhoh:

I think we came to the conclusion that it's the trapped O. So no boiling, alright. Will see what I can manage to do regarding isolation..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012