1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

It's true! You get treated better when you're suited up

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitMyself, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

About three years ago, I was at a restaurant for which I had a gift card. I ordered my meal and the waitress was really friendly with me (she was constantly touching my suit jacket sleeve, smiling, all friendly and such--I always wear a suit and tie). When it came time to pay the bill, I used my gift card and the balance left from the card was given to me as cash back. I basically left the entire cash amount as a tip (which was about $15 and my meal was about $45.)

So . . . a few months later, I was at this restaurant again and I ended up being served by the same waitress as before but only this time I was in a sweatshirt and khakis and not a suit and tie.

Well.

My waitress didn't even so much as remember me (but I kind of expected that because how can she possibly remember EVERYONE?) and her level of service was complete different. She wasn't friendly with me (but she wasn't rude, either); she just asked "What would you like?", took my order, plopped my food in front of me, walked off; plopped my drink in front of me without so much as a word being said and walked off. Never once did she come back to check on me and inquire how I was enjoying my meal (she did this the first time I was here several months earlier but she didn't this time.)

Well.

So . . . as for the tip, well, I thought, Oh, hell, what's the big deal. I still tipped her (I gave the balance on the card--$15 just like the last time) and when she saw how much I left, she was stopped dead in her tracks and was shocked as anything. She was literally speechless. It was at this moment that she realized what a complete ***** she was for providing the kind of service she did and I just got up and left.

So.

Some of you are probably wondering why I gave such a generous tip when the service certainly didn't warrant it. Hell, I really don't know why.

If you want to be treated like a million bucks, put on your fucking suit and tie when dining out. If, on the other hand, you want to be treated like a schmuck, then wear your shit-stained (*insert name of favourite sports team*) jersey and baseball cap worn backwards.

nice one.

but another thing is, perhaps she was new at the time. wanted to be a stand-out employee.

then months later she was a frazzled embittered employee.

who knows.

2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If you want to be treated like a million bucks, put on your fucking suit and tie when dining out.
    Poor reason to wear a suit.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

In the same way that one should dress alike, but not better, than one's corporate boss, one should dress alike, but not better, than one's waiter or waitress.

Just apply the same principle that was discussed in an earlier StyleForvm thread in which it was concluded that one should dress alike, but not better, than one's spouse or girlfriend.

- B

5. George

George Well-Known Member

I think we should all be nekid. In fact, I'm nekid as I'm typing this.

6. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

By giving her the tip given her poor service, are you not implicitly reinforcing her to give poor service?

It's been done. I've worked my share of shitty service jobs and I know when I'm phoning it in. When you give me a $10 tip, it actually serves as kind of a "wake up, asshole" moment and I get back on it.

Except for black customers. Fuck those guys and their non-tipping selves.

7. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Well-Known Member

I find that I am treated differently when I wear a suit when I go out than when I were my vinyl thong, handcuffs, patent leather boots and ball gag.

it sound very bad.

8. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It's been done. I've worked my share of shitty service jobs and I know when I'm phoning it in. When you give me a $10 tip, it actually serves as kind of a "wake up, asshole" moment and I get back on it.

Black customers don't tip?

Are they allowed to?

9. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

Black customers don't tip?

Are they allowed to?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

In your case, I have never assumed otherwise.

- B

11. TheButler

TheButler Well-Known Member

Sometimes I learn so much on this forum. [​IMG]

12. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sarcasm is really lost on SF....[​IMG]

13. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

In the same way that one should dress alike, but not better, than one's corporate boss, one should dress alike, but not better, than one's waiter or waitress.
    You know ... this is exactly why I do not eat at fast food "restaurants." (said with a fake Belgie accent)

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I'm in a black wife-beater ... the kind I cut the sleeves off all by myself.

15. George

George Well-Known Member

In your case, I have never assumed otherwise. - B
    [​IMG]

16. Da Luis Vuitton Don

Da Luis Vuitton Don Well-Known Member

it is an unwritten rule for blacks not to tip.its a part of their training.

*waits for reparations*

eidt- i tip good at bars for free drinks 100% of the time.it has never failed!!!!!!

17. George

George Well-Known Member

I'm in a black wife-beater ... the kind I cut the sleeves off all by myself.
    [​IMG]

18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

^^^ Mr. George, PLEASE stop pointin' yer camra in my winder!

19. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

OMG You wear clip on braces? I am canceling tonight.

20. George

George Well-Known Member

^^^ Mr. George, PLEASE stop pointin' yer camra in my winder!
    Oh, well done.