1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

It's crappy out--what shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jester, Mar 1, 2005.

1. jester

jester Well-Known Member

In New York now, there's already a few inches of slushy snow on the ground, with more expected. Today I'm wearing a tweed suit and hiking boots. If I had a meeting or an event, I'd probably be wearing a slightly older pair of wingtips that I don't mind getting wet.

What about you?

2. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

I spent about 4 hours polishing several pairs of shoes this past weekend. I'm in no mood to do that again this weekend, so I'm carrying my shoes until all the sludge melts.

dan

3. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Well-Known Member

I wear either a pair of Grensons w rubber bottoms, or a pair of my old Johnson & Murphys. In either case, during the winter months a keep a pair of AE or C&J in my office to change into when I get here, although the Grensons still look pretty good, even w rubber bottoms......

4. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

It's been rain, rain, rain here lately. I generally pull out my rubber soled Aldens when that's the case. I have dirt/mud, grass and gravel to walk on generally so I just refuse to take my nicer leather soled shoes on that in the rain. In fact, I've about decided to get a pair of brown rubber soled shoes for rain that I could also wear casually. I don't have the luxury of carpet lined halls, or even pavement a lot of times.

5. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I live in Arizona - so I voted for the Southern California option because it applies here just as well.

However, I will be in D.C. on Thursday, so I'll be wearing my Rockport Dressports because they are weatherproof and very comfortable for all the walking I'll be doing. The Allen-Edmonds that I just picked up will have to wait for another trip.

Bradford

6. bch

bch Well-Known Member

Florida, not CA. Rarely rains all day. Even then, we have sidewalks with no snow, so a little rain never hurts much.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Galoshes all the way. Century 21 has some on sale. Very useful.

8. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

I live on the west coast of Canada. Hardly ever get any snow but there is plenty of rain. I always reach for my older pairs of Allen Edmonds.

9. riahvi

riahvi Member

I'm one of a diminishing few, in the men under 50 category, who wears rubbers.Specifically, Tingley Storm Rubbers. Unless it's casual Friday when I wear Tingey Moccasin Rubbers
    over Alden Cape Cod Venetian Loafers. It looks like I'm simply wearing
    a rubber pair of Venetian loafers.

Riahvi

10. android

android Member

I usually wear AE single thick soles. But for nasty weather I have a pair of double thick soled shoes I picked up on eBay for cheap. They still look good, but I can do some puddle jumping without worry. The thicker sole also seems to hold out the cold better.

11. Lord Foppington

Lord Foppington Active Member

My Lacrosse front-zip overshoes are in the mail. No more rubber soles for me.

12. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I'm convinced. I ordered a pair of the 'Storm' model this morning. For those interested, you can find some selected sizes on ebay. Tingley itself offers them at the best price I found online, about $21 shipped. Zappos will ship 'free', but charges $30 for them. Tingley dress overshoes

13. riahvi

riahvi Member

I think you'll be pleased with the Storm Rubber. Now you can wear the shoes you want regardless of the weather. If you like them
    shinier use a little Amour All tire protector on them.

I've been wearing this style for close to 50 years except when I was way too cool in college. I recently watched some old home movies and my brothers and I were headed off to the first day of school clad in our Tingley Storm rubbers, which were brown, and those hotter than heck yellow slickers with the helmet style hat.

14. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

Either a pair of C&J field boots that look good with cords or tweeds, or I break out the Hummer of boots, the Le Chameau leather lined.

15. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Well-Known Member

16. Cary

Cary New Member

Some things about dressing, you learn at a young age. So when sloppy weather brings salt, slush and even heavy rain to NYC, I wear my galoshes, overshoes, rubbers or whatever you call them. I keep one pair at the office, one at home.

Don't think there is a lot of choice in these, so I've been wearing the Tingley ones, the storm model since as long as I can remember.
    Found them a bit difficult to track down when I needed to replace
    my last pair, but the web provided multiple vendors. (Mine actually
    came from Walgreens)

I also found a pair of "vintage" B.F Goodrich
    pair that look like brown dressy wingtips when cleaning out an
    uncle's home upstate. I'm afraid they'll rip so wear them sparingly.

17. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

When I know it is going to rain, I would wear the old rubber-soled shoes (worn by the personnel of the Singapore Armed Forces.), but only after it has seen a lot of usage, wear and tear.

Unfortunately, most of the time the rain descends without me knowing it would rain, so, I end up (sometimes) wearing better shoes, and some with really slippery leather soles, although, fortunately, I did not experience the embarrassing situation of slipping.

WJTW

18. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

Tingley or slip-on version of the LL Bean Maine Shoe. If the latter, than a pair suitable shoes are at my destination.

I have a pair too of old Timberland rubber soled waterproof wingtips.

19. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

My Tingleys arrived today. They seem nice. I look forward to trying them out. The box was prominently marked in several places as being from "Tingley Rubber Corporation." I'm not sure what the delivery man thought... [​IMG]

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

It's raining in DC today, and I'm wearing my Tingleys.  Best $25 I ever spent.