1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

"Italian way" of necktie tying?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cappyg00k, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Freud's turning over in his grave.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Its hanging out and swinging loose. I think that is part of the reason Bow ties give off a more controlled, prim presentation. The Bow tie says that the wearer has his tightly under his control.
    Bow ties are really perverse in their primness. They remind me of Kinsey or Freud who gave up sex when he was 40.

3. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

Bow ties are really perverse in their primness. They remind me of Kinsey or Freud who gave up sex when he was 40.

So to keep with the Freud theme I guess you could say the Bow tie represents both civilisation and its discontents.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I thought a prince albert involved a trip to a piercing shop and a lot of courage.

It does, and a Jacob's Ladder takes a leap of faith and a lot of luck.

Jon.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

You know, as much as I might like Ferrari, I have to tell you that no self-respecting Marquis, even Luca di Montezemolo should ever wear a tie that way.

Jon.

6. cuffthis

cuffthis Well-Known Member

Isn't this style of knot tying called "The Donald Trump"?

7. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

I believe the word for that is " ritardato. " No idea as to the meaning, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm sure many of you have seen The Sartorialist's new column in American GQ and he mentioned the man was wearing the necktie the "Italian way", back of the tie longer (i.e., thin part of the neck tie longer). I always thought people did this as a mistake or store displays on mannequins to make the tie knot really thick. Has anyone else ever heard of a such?

You'll see it a lot if you look for it. Leaving the narrow end long so it can be tucked into your trousers is what you do if don't have your ties made to measure and the ends will otherwise hang too far past your belt.

More common with high waisted trousers, but men have been doing this for as long as there have been neckties.

9. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Well-Known Member

I call it trying too hard to look stupid

heheh

10. manicturncoat

manicturncoat Well-Known Member

Another Agnelli quirk copied by his replicants in Italy.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Some people call it stylish or sprezzatura:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I call it trying too hard or looking stupid, but everyone has their own opinion when it comes to style and fashion.

well - who looks worse on these pictures: the guys with their tie coming all the way down to their crotch or the guy with a proper tie length and a longer narrow end?

For shorter guys who don't want a giant knot, ties are just too long so they can either buy short length ties or have a longer narrow end. Now most short people will tuck that narrow end in their pants (or even in their shirt), some of these guys leave it hanging

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

When I was young and impetuous, this was called sloppy. Now it's stylish.

This is progress?

13. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

They could at least tuck the narrow end into their shirts... that's what I've always done if it's too long.