• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Your City Inundated with Food Trucks?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
To many white middle class city dwellers the food trucks likely represent an "authentic urban experience", similar to how they fancy themselves as being more cultured than their comrades whom still live in the drab suburbs. It is their alternative to the fast food chain restaurant. Just because they may despise the fast food chain and what it represents to them, they have not truly broken their habit of desiring greasy fast food while on the go.

How about if it is just that some of them make tasty food and I am bored with the spots within walking distance of my office.

If some awesome taco truck pulled up around the corner, I'd definitely eat there. I'm not willing to go the distance and follow some truck on twitter so that I know where it will be and when (there aren't a lot of them in chicago) but if I was heading out and saw one parked, I would definitely give it a try.

I think the low startup costs and overhead of the food truck let them get a little more experimental than the high-rent lunch places around my office...also you can move them somewhere else at night since there are zero people in this neighborhood once the offices start to empty.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
They brought in $180 over 4 hours.

Your friends lost their ass in that 4 hours.

Originally Posted by dexterhaven
Ha ha Did you copy this out of a magazine? First of all, it is "who still live." The word is "who." And although these trailers are foodie havens (I shudder to use the word "foodie"), I would not say that they are the food snob's fast food substitute. Eating at most of these places requires a significant investment of time. And the food is often not comparable to what is offered at McDonald's or Wendy's. It has aspirations towards the gourmet. The popularity of these places is due to gluttony, which to the modern urban white person has transformed from a sin into a virtue.

Jeebus, man! Chill.

Originally Posted by willpower
Even during the winter?

^This is the one thing holding me back from starting a food truck here. I know I can make a go of it 8 months a year or so, but I don't know how to make it work in the Dakota winter.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed

shawarma.jpg

kebabREX_468x304.jpg

Am I the only one thinking those look pretty good for a kebab?

We don't really have food trucks, we only have weinerwagons /pølsevogn (yes that is what they are called), though some people have begun trying to do bagels etc.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
If some awesome taco truck pulled up around the corner, I'd definitely eat there. I'm not willing to go the distance and follow some truck on twitter so that I know where it will be and when (there aren't a lot of them in chicago) but if I was heading out and saw one parked, I would definitely give it a try.

this. In LA its everywhere. Hell, they have festivals where the trucks go, people pay $20 to get in and THEN pay to wait in line and eat.

Last friday I was hungry at work and walk about 200 feet to the corenr gas station and what do you know, mexican taco truck. Pork brains, skin, head, the works. Nothing fancy but real peasant, working man foods, no gourmet ****. I stuck with the al pastor and asada.

Im going to start doing cocktail trucks. Portable manhattans!

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^This is the one thing holding me back from starting a food truck here. I know I can make a go of it 8 months a year or so, but I don't know how to make it work in the Dakota winter.

Put a snow plow on the front and sell hot chocolate??

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
this. In LA its everywhere. Hell, they have festivals where the trucks go, people pay $20 to get in and THEN pay to wait in line and eat.

Last friday I was hungry at work and walk about 200 feet to the corenr gas station and what do you know, mexican taco truck. Pork brains, skin, head, the works. Nothing fancy but real peasant, working man foods, no gourmet ****. I stuck with the al pastor and asada.

Im going to start doing cocktail trucks. Portable manhattans!

Put a snow plow on the front and sell hot chocolate??

These are the trucks I like, I usually go when I'm lazy, cheap or drunk. What I don't get are the "gourmet trucks". A couple months ago, my coworker took me to an organic truck that serves quinoa and grass-feed beef , it also cost me 11 dollars or so for a lunch box. Mind blown.

Raralith

Reaction score
What the hell, have I been living under a rock? I loved street meat when I worked in Manhattan, but I rarely see food trucks in Los Angeles except for the standard taco truck. If I had to take time this week to have this for lunch, does anyone have a suggestion of what I should get, and where I can find them?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
What the hell, have I been living under a rock? I loved street meat when I worked in Manhattan, but I rarely see food trucks in Los Angeles except for the standard taco truck. If I had to take time this week to have this for lunch, does anyone have a suggestion of what I should get, and where I can find them?

What part of town are you in?

I like Kojitruck, The Grilled Cheese Truck, Slices (really, really good pizza for LA), the Greasy Wiener

http://kogibbq.com/

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
To many white middle class city dwellers the food trucks likely represent an "authentic urban experience", similar to how they fancy themselves as being more cultured than their comrades whom still live in the drab suburbs. It is their alternative to the fast food chain restaurant. Just because they may despise the fast food chain and what it represents to them, they have not truly broken their habit of desiring greasy fast food while on the go.
What do you consider yourself? I'm so tired of this line of thinking - we may as well just all die.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
overheard in vroman's today a couple of 20-30something hipsters, this one guy telling the other two people about his friend's food truck that he is going to start... some gems i heard:

-the problem is that the food trucks are all blending together, and hes really going 'out there'
-the best part is he's a total hipster
-he is going to post on twitter and facebook about his daily offerings

also heard him say something about a coffee shop and only offering books that "our group of people would like"

what the hell is a mcsweeneys?? anyone?

sarcasm.gif

Wesley Bills

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Thankfully here in Richmond that trend has not arrived.

Oh sorrowfully, don't you think?

All these Food Trucks are not necessarily a bad thing.

Mr. White

Reaction score
When I was young and stupid, I worked in construction, warehouses, and factories. I ate off roach coaches, hot dog carts, or grabbed a microwave burrito in 7-Eleven. I don't anymore.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shitload coming in tribeca now lmao frite burgers and some ripoff dumpling things made by white guys, lovely

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Literally just had a grilled cheese with macaroni and cheese in it from ....The Grilled Cheese Truck. The line was 20 minutes long, and it was another 10 minutes to get the sandwich. Good... very good, but ultimately not worth the wait.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hipsters love long lines - it's a scene in itself.

The only food truck I go to is El Toyanase for its tongue burritos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads