1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is Uniqlo worth a 5 hour drive from DC?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tthornell, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sexlexcia

sexlexcia Well-Known Member

I just did the 5 hour drive from Montreal to NYC. I did go to Uniqlo but didnt buy anything. The place was a mad house, 1 hour lines to pay! I did stop at Self Edge tho. That area of NYCwould take a whole day to explore.
    It is only like that during the weekends. Place is mad dead during the weekdays(no lines for the fitting room or register). Reading this thread made me realize how lucky I am to live right by NYC.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

Uniqlo's lack of a U.S. online store is really inexcusable.

+1

3. BigRedBike

BigRedBike Active Member

So please educate me...what is uniqlo, and why all the fuss? I just learned of this store/company. The clothes on the website are ok looking, but very cheap in price.

4. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

So please educate me...what is uniqlo, and why all the fuss? I just learned of this store/company. The clothes on the website are ok looking, but very cheap in price.

An H&M with better quality.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Only worth it if there's going to be a fight

6. beowolf

beowolf Well-Known Member

I have family in NYC and visit pretty regularly. Uniqlo is nice compared to the stores here in DC but it is not worth going just for it. But if you are going to other stores it is a nice stop along the way.

And you will be paying way more than 20 bucks for tolls coming and going from DC. I take the train, no smelly, sleezy bus or worrying about traffic and parking, I take the earliest train from BWI and get into the city at 7am, for me it comes to about 100 bucks with my discounts. You will pay about that much or more driving+gas+tolls+parking.

7. beowolf

beowolf Well-Known Member

oops. stupid iphone

8. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Well-Known Member

I just wanted to mention that there are plenty of other good reasons to visit New York. Not just Uniqlo. So if the choice is "drive five hours, go to uniqlo, drive five hours home," then no, it's probably not worth it. But if the choice is "spend the weekend visiting new york, and visit Uniqlo," then yes, worth it. OK? OK.

9. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

yes it is worth it. drop by baltimore and pick me up on the way.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Driving up from DC is going to be expensive unless you have the EZ pass (or whatever the automatic toll payment device is called).

This makes no sense. E-ZPass doesn't make your drive cheaper. A few minutes faster? Yes. Noticeably cheaper? No.

11. BigRedBike

BigRedBike Active Member

My gf lives in NYC, and I live in Ithaca (upstate NY) which is about a 4.5 hour drive. I drive an '85 volvo turbo diesel and it's probably about two tanks of gas round trip ($38x2 = $76)...or if you wanted to be exact...more like a tank and a half ($57) plus the $8 toll to get into the city ($84/$65). I'm in about $86 (I normally grab a tea or coffee along the way) before I even get to her place. I don't pay for parking, but if you did then tack on another $15-$35 depending on how long you stay. For me being in the middle of nowhere with no clothing stores, a trip like that would be worth it (I'm also impulsive and stubborn). However you are in DC...wait until you have a reason to go.

12. lyonnaisdecoeur

lyonnaisdecoeur Active Member

as one who makes the Boston-NYC commute frequently on the amtrak i can say that it is definitely the best way to go....just book it in advance and it will be less than or around $100, and it's so damn easy. no stress, no parking, no fees, a nice big seat....seriously...the stress involved in driving is so not worth it in any way...you will sit there in traffic, pay $40 for parking, sit in more traffic, get lost, and then spend as much as you would on the train....i would pay probably $40 more to take the train than the bus, and $60 more than driving...it's worth it!

as for uniqlo...it's a great store to get cheap stuff....it's better than H+M, probably better than Zara and is Japanese...so if you're into that kind of stuff, it's really a great deal...that being said, i don't think you can make the trip to Soho without stopping at some of the other places listed....but man, H+M is a mistake..i'd rather go spend 10k at hugo boss before buying something from there that will fall apart in a week. i think everything there is made in bangladesh.

well that's about all i can say on this. in short. go, and take the train.
    bonne chance

13. jaychiz

jaychiz Well-Known Member

yes it is worth it. drop by baltimore and pick me up on the way.

if you put together a carpool like this then you could make it worth it

14. context

context Active Member

it's bit more than 4 hours to get there from DC provided that you don't hit major traffic. i think it's worth it, but do not expect to find everything you see on their website. their flagship store in soho only has about 1/2 the stuff shown on their site. that place is damn packed all day on weekends.

15. martyLack

martyLack New Member

order online you reject.

16. dks202

dks202 Well-Known Member

A five hour drive is like going across town in Texas.

El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

1 person likes this.
  17. Lane

Lane Well-Known Member

nice bump idiot

18. lckychrmsbboy

lckychrmsbboy Well-Known Member

First post is bumping a two year old thread telling him to order online..haha