1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is this painting too overwhelmingly huge for this room?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by razuel, Jun 14, 2011.

1. 7AD

7AD Active Member

If it was anything but an elephant it would be too large.

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

If it was anything but an elephant it would be too large.
    Perhaps a Mel Ramos Hippo?

3. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Im surprised at how much your living room is set up like my old house....almost exact.

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Sofa against one wall and TV against the other? What are the odds?

lefty

5. cimabue

cimabue Well-Known Member

Put some fatties on the sofa and re-take the picture. I'll make a big print and hang it behind my sofa.

6. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

7. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Think that the painting matches the sofa that pretty much looks like the behind of an elephant.

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I found this Gazelle lamp for you. This would give you the biggest, fastest, and fiercest mammals of the Sub-Saharan Africa food chain- a formidable trio of interior decor if I may say. [​IMG]

9. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

Elaborating a little more on this subject, what is the rule of thumb when it comes to paintings and room size? Also, about hanging such paintings, is there a proper height between floor and ceiling?

10. ma1

ma1 Well-Known Member

No, it's too overwhelmingly ugly.

11. ma1

ma1 Well-Known Member

Elaborating a little more on this subject, what is the rule of thumb when it comes to paintings and room size? Also, about hanging such paintings, is there a proper height between floor and ceiling?

Depends on the context and the painting, but they should be hung so the centre is roughly eye level.

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Depends on the context and the painting, but they should be hung so the centre is roughly eye level.
    In general you are right. But sometimes eye-level is not possible ... especially so with larger paintings ... or when stacking two or more paintings.

13. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Well-Known Member

I think it's borderline too big, but I actually like it. Looks like it is resting on the floor? If not, I think I would like it more a few inches lower. But overall, I dig.

And I like to hang things centered at approx. 5'7" Nice compromise on eye level for people of various heights.

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

To the OP, I think the painting looks fine in that spot. But like you said, can imagine it appearing more cumbersome in person.

15. Sazerac

Sazerac Well-Known Member

Personally, I love unframed works leaning against walls. It's nonchalant and speaks to the piece as being about art, not decor.

I have an enormous painting I can't find the right place for, so I just move it from room to room as the mood strikes.

16. WUKILLABEEZ78

WUKILLABEEZ78 Well-Known Member

You do plan on hanging it, correct? I feel it will look better once its on the wall and their is a bit of wall space between the bottom of it and the top of the sofa...