1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

is this normal?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by WoolyMarmot, Sep 15, 2013.

1. WoolyMarmot

WoolyMarmot New Member

[​IMG]

I got a chippewa apache boots hoping I could use it for winter here at buffalo ( I moved recently). I've had this for almost a month kept in box and I wore it yesterday and this is what I saw. The leather feels soft and worn out, also wrinkly compared to the other one.

2. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry, it just means that, the shoe was made from a lower grade part of the cattle hide than the other one. Which is common on leather shoes and boots (i can spot differences clear creasing differences on shoes and boots of mine). Asthetically I do not think it looks bad on a casual boot like that. There should not be any durabillity issues either since it is not in a spot that is prone to cracking.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. WoolyMarmot

WoolyMarmot New Member

Just wanna clarify that we're on the same page, the left boot looks broken in and soft and the right boot looks completely different? I've never seen this in any of my leather docksides nor in my leather bags

4. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Well-Known Member

Your boots do seem to be more more extreme case of differing leather qualities than I have seen on other shoes, I do not think the leather will break down or anything though. If it still worries you or bothers you aesthetically, email chippewa to check if they are willing to replace them.

5. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Well-Known Member

My Chips had a similar texture on the outer panel of the right boot, though perhaps not as severe as your's -- I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've attached a set of pictures I took after applying a coat of Meltonian shoe creme (full post on that is here). The wrinkling is most visible in the image in the bottom-left. I did notice that the cut leather edge near the bottom right corner of your picture looks very dry (fibrous) ... You might want to apply some Obenauf's LP (or Sno-Seal) to condition the leather a bit -- it might help with the wrinkles as well.

[​IMG]