1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is This Dog on Roids?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jpeirpont, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

You can't breed proper sighthounds without letting them chase down and kill other animals. If you breed them based on their success with running down a track "bunny" you get a different dog. Harm or pain or death has to be part of the equation for the proper breeding of any working or sporting animal.
    I'm certainly not opposed to animals being put at risk to accomplish a task. However, if the whole point is harm or death for the animal with no other benefit (dogfighting), that's a different story.

2. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

WTF???
    Specifically bred for aggression? Essentially monsters???? [​IMG]

Monsters was a bit hyperbolic, but pitbulls were certainly bred for aggression.

3. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Are you being deliberately dense, or were you simply born this way? If an animal is bred, over many generations to have an aggressive temperament, is conditioned from birth to fight other dogs, and is beaten for not participating in fights, I think it is idiotic to conclude that they "love to fight", after watching them maul each other.

The outcome (fighting other dogs) is not simply a product of wanting to fight, but could be caused by any number of motivating factors, fear for example. Saying a dog loves fighting under these circumstances is as preposterous as concluding a man loves fighting when he attacks a burglar breaking into his own home.

N.B. If you genuinely were born with some sort of congenital mental deficiency, I apologise, but perhaps it would be better for your carer to moderate the discussions you take part in and the company you keep.

Wow, you are really all over the place. A breed of dog can come to love fighting after generations of specific breeding the same as a breed of dog can come to love running deer or retrieving fowl.

4. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Monsters was a pit hyperbolic, but pitbulls were certainly bred for aggression.

Toward other dogs, but against it toward humans.

5. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Well-Known Member

Wow, you are really all over the place. A breed of dog can come to love fighting after generations of specific breeding the same as a breed of dog can come to love running deer or retrieving fowl.
    I find it hard to believe that dogs enjoy being ripped to shreds and killed, while braying crowds of morons bet money on it. The obvious analogy to this is bullfighting, where the bulls are bred to be deliberately stupid and aggressive, so as to make putting on a show involving their torture easy. No right minded person would think they enjoy it, but given the morally bereft posts on this thread, this obvious truth will no doubt be ignored. At least some of them must be trolling, I find it impossible to believe there can this many simple minded people, who never the less, scrape together the wherewithal to use the internet.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

It is interesting how people with no knowledge of a subject and zero first-hand experience with the dogs involved can have such dogmatic convictions.

A few simple facts:

ALL dogs are natural-born fighters and killers. The natural tendency to fight present in the wolf-canine genetic heritage has been selected for in the breeding of fighting dogs.

Most fighting-breed dogs are selectively aggressive toward certain dogs that pose a challenge but can be friendly and playful with those that don't. My dog's best buddy is female pit bull. They can play and roughhouse for hours (although he spends most of his time trying to rape her!)

Fight drive is instinctive. I repeat, I have no idea how you can instill it. The idea that you can make a dog want to fight by beating it if it doesn't is simply preposterous. As for dogs "wanting" to fight, a friend of mine had two Tosa males. One weighed about 155 pounds, the other about 130. One day through carelessness on somebody's else part, the two got together, and a furious hour-long battle ensued. At several points the larger dog came close to killing the smaller one. However, when my friend was able to break up the fight, the smaller dog, whom he had literally rescued from the jaws of death, was still eager to continue the fray. As another dogwise friend of mine said, "That's the dog you want to breed from." Unfortunately, the smaller dog had poor hips. As an aside, I met both dogs (separately, of course), and both were gentle, friendly and playful with me.

Dog aggression does not equal human aggression. Prey drive toward other animals does not equal human aggression.

Black Shoes, since you repeatedly accuse me of being dense and simple-minded, I would be happy to measure my educational achievements against yours.

7. habanos

habanos Well-Known Member

Can we just get back to "Dogs on Roids"

8. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

Is dog fighting considered to be OK now? I can't believe anyone would enjoy it or associate with the sort of knuckle dragging morons who do.

I've known two guys who bred dogs for fighting. One was a thug, no doubt about it. The other guy was a family guy, really intelligent, just a great guy except for the dogfighting thing. I dislike the sport, but you can't label everyone who participates a knuckle-dragging moron.

9. abeezy21

abeezy21 Well-Known Member

I think Yes.

I got my dog a few years ago from a guy who bred Pitbull's and he would shoot up his own male dog with some sort of roids . He even did it in front of me so I know it was roided for sure. Thing looked like a Lion it was so big

10. Elusive

Elusive Well-Known Member

Yes loads of people manipulate dogs anabolism to make them more muscular or use illegal methods horse owners have been using these methods since time began

11. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Black Shoes, since you repeatedly accuse me of being dense and simple-minded, I would be happy to measure my educational achievements against yours.

Go for it black shoes. Show him what you're packing.