1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is this a look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Jan 15, 2004.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

i saw a young man (mid-twenties) wearing a dress shirt with a tie, and one of those long sleeve sweaters with a polo style collar over it. the look was interesting as i had never seen it before. off hand it looked a bit uptight because the sweater gives you a casual look that doesn't mesh well with the tie. what do you guys think?

it's the kind of look that would be interesting in a film but in real life it was too "mama's boy" perhaps.

2. DandySF

DandySF Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is that the guy was probably required to wear a tie and was simply fulfilling an obligation.  This look sounds too dressed up and too casual, all at once.  If I were a style cop I'd give him a ticket for swerving recklessly between lanes.

3. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

i think the looks falls into the east coast ivy league, wasp area. Ive seen lots of similar photos in the last Brooks Brothers catalog actually. A nice cashmere polo style sweater over a shirt and tie would look perfectly acceptable to me, but I could be wrong. I think the look is best pulled off in a slightly more casual sense, perhaps a pair of heavy flannel trousers, shirt, tie, nice cahsmere polo sweater, and a corduroy sportcoat, maybe some suede chukka boots. Kind of college professor-ish, but not entirely without style.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Sounds preppy to me, or maybe he was trying something new, like those NYC guys who did a subversive Dilbert look for a while (slim, short sleever "dress" shirt with a skinny tie, skinny jeans, etc...) Either way, sounds like a look to avoid.

5. Alias

Alias Well-Known Member

I try and avoid wearing one collared article of clothing over another. Lapels don't count towards this limitation.

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Was the top button buttoned and the tie hitched right up to his neck? or was the top button unbuttoned and the tie knot a little lower? I wear ties with casual outfits every so often, mostly because I don't have too many chances to wear them with suits. But I never tighten them around my neck. They're always hanging a little below the unfastened top button (or two).

7. Isak Bengtsbo

Isak Bengtsbo Well-Known Member

In my opinion it sounds good except for the tie. Casual with a touch of elegance but I don't believe it's something for a man under 40.