1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is the shoulder on this MTM suit worth reconstructing? Or better to just have the entire jacket re-m

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Nguyenning, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

So, I made a post about this suit a few weeks back, went to the tailor and tried having the shoulders just trimmed down... got it back today and it looks virtually the same. Good thing is, I'm not paying for any of these alterations but I'm wondering is this even fixable by reconstructing the shoulder? Or would it be best to just re-measure and remake this MTM jacket? The left shoulder just seems too big and that indention is quite glaring... even from the back-view it looks like it's too big, but that may just be how I stand?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

That's just plain ugly. Do you have the option of returning it for a smaller size?

3. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

You have uneven shoulder. You may have to go bespoke.

4. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

So, 2 responses and no reply as to whether or not reconstructing the shoulder is possible...

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

The shoulder doesn't look too wide - it seems to be just too square and constructed for your sloping shoulders. I'd ask for a full remake with that in mind.

6. facet

facet Well-Known Member

You can try posting in the tailors thread as you'd likley get a more educated opinion on it's fixability. For what it's worth, it looks like the same problem that I had with my slimmer fitting suits. It was fixable, the sleevehead just has to be reshaped; but it was really hard to find a tailor that could/would do that, and I had to be extremely explicit in explaining what needed to be done.

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

yes, fixable. Theres a few different ways you could tackle it.

8. Yika

Yika Well-Known Member

Would it be costly ?

9. CYstyle

CYstyle Well-Known Member

10. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Cost me $50 plus tax.

11. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

to reconstruct the shoulder? I'm not too concerned... gonna have it done on Monday, will post pics afterward. Overall I like the fit of the suit, from the tapering to the length

12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

there is a lot of work involved.

there is way too much padding
    sleeves off
    reduce padding
    trim away additional fabric.
    baste
    fit
    see if the fit is seriously improved
    and finish

sleeve length might have to be adjusted as well.

so yes, alot of work
    and not cheap

was this bought from a reputable store/tailor?
    or ordered online/or from an inexpensive tailor.
    and where are you located?

13. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

reputable MTM business in Dallas, TX

I'm not covering any alterations. They've been really great about making sure this suit ends up perfect on me (after all, the better it looks on me, the better it looks for them when someone sees it on and asks "where'd you get that suit? it looks awesome!" haha

14. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I recall your earlier thread, it does not look as if much has been done. is the tailor out of his depth? Try them on remaking it - that might galvanise them into trying harder.

As you have it back can you post the additional views so as to close off the earlier thread please?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

I would ask them to remake it rather than trying to alter it. After all it is an MTO program and they should be able to do it correctly.

17. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

LOL....I wouldn't wear that in public. You need to get a remake. If that's not possible, then you have to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky? You can try to go back to the tailor again, but you've already been once.

18. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Well-Known Member

It's a shame about the shoulder being so jacked up, because otherwise the fit looks good to me. Good luck.

19. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Active Member

Well, the first tailor didn't do anything towards reconstructing the shoulder... so I wasn't expecting much from him anyway (he just tried to trim both down)

Taking it to get reconstructed this week and hoping it fixes it. Agreed with the above poster, I really like the fit of the suit other than this one glaring issue. The length and overall tapered fit are perfect.