1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is RIM done for?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by imageWIS, Jan 23, 2012.

1. onthemove

onthemove Member

I hear the same as well. FBI & CIA still use them. Probably lots of other companies who need secure communication as well.

2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if RIM is really more secure than modern secure email protocols which are constantly scrutinized and patched.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

I'm a BB to iPhone guy.
    The iPhone blows BB out of the water.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I also love the BB and no question typing on a full keyboard on a BB is far superior than the droid or Iphone.

6. dragon8

In terms of apps and internet connectivity I agree.

7. dragon8

Apparently, thats really their bread and butter. Supposedly, they may be licensing out/building the security for other companies.

8. the shah

crackberry had talk of samsung buying rim :eh:

9. jarude

jarude Well-Known Member

i went from bb to android and i miss my bb keyboard. small price to pay though

10. dragon8

And Samsung denied it.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

For the most part, no.

Email:

While yes, BB is the only OS that has native push capability that does not require a third party app for all email servers, iOS, Android, etc.. all have partial native support for push email using their own email software-app or there are 3rd party apps that easily install push... considering that you can get push email on every major mobile OS platform, it's a tie.

Best security:

In terms of email security, BB's Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Triple Data Encryption Standard (Triple DES) are far better when it comes to encrypted security than what anybody else offers.

Win: BB.

Hardware:

Not even close, not by a long shot. There is a lot of handsets out there, so lets compare the one most talked about on this thread: the iPhone vs the closest equivalent from BB: the Torch 9850 (Verizon: BlackBerry Volt):

iPhone has an aluminum exoskeleton body with dual antennas sandwiched by two pieces of Gorilla glass.
    BB has, as far as I can gather (correct me if my info is incorrect), a plastic body surrounded by a metal bezel.

iPhone has a 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi display
    BB has a 480 x 800 pixels (~252 ppi pixel density) display

iPhone has a 8 MP camera that can record full 1080p
    BB has a 5 MP that can record 720p

iPhone has a max memory capacity of 64 GB
    BB has a max memory capacity of 32 GB

Win: iPhone.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

You could always use a mix of IMAP idle and Kerberos encryption to get there.

13. the shah

variety :

1 iphone, different storage capabilities , re-realsed model with S branding

more than 1 model blackberry , all have slots for expanding storage :D

battery :

Battery & Battery Life
    1230 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    CDMA Talk Time: up to 6.6 hours
    CDMA Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
    GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
    UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
    Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours
    BlackBerry Bold 9900
    GSM Talk Time: up to 6.3 hours
    GSM Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    UMTS Talk Time: up to 5.9 hours
    UMTS Standby Time: up to 12.8 days
    Audio Playback Time: up to 50 hours
    Video Playback Time: up to 7.4 hours

Carrier Networks
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Dual-Band: 800 / 1900 MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks
    Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz GSM/
    GPRS/EDGE networks
    Dual-Band: 2100 / 900 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    HSDPA : 14.4 Mbps
    HSUPA : 5.76 Mbps
    BlackBerry Bold 9900
    UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz or 2100/1700/900 MHz
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    HSDPA: 14.4 Mbps
    HSUPA: 5.76 Mbps

Near Field Communication
    Operating Modes: accessory pairing and smart tag reading/writing

BB is winnar !

so if you want a toy go iphone if you want a functional secure phone with touchscreen adn keyboard 9930 it is

not sure how prevalent it is but is companies are still giving bb to employees there's still a huge biniss market so won't go under.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  14. imageWIS

Shah, IDK what the point of your post was. I compared two comparable phones that go head to head. And when I wrote max memory, that includes the max you can expand the BB to is 32 GB, or half of what iPhone is capable of.

Calling the iPhone a 'toy' without actually making a counter-statement based on tech specs is disingenuous.

15. the shah

this is your thread about bb if you wan't i can write something about why iphone is still garbage. not saying bb is any better, but i like the keyboard and the fact that i can use it anywhere in the world and carry extra battery if need be and have extra memory cards so not really limited t 32gb and i don't really use it for media anyway so i don't need more than 4gb because it's a phone/email device not a toy to keep myself entertained with until the next iteration is released with same specs but 2 more megapixels in the camera and an exclusive addition to software that's just voice recognition repackaged ...

can you use your device anywhere in the world ? can you use it with different carriers out of the box ? can you use all features of bluetooth ? can you use it as usb storage out of the box ? can you use it with any (unlimited) number of computers running different operating systems without having to use proprietary software to upload songs ? can you transfer songs off device using that proprietary software ? can you use any usb (mini or micro) to connect it ? can you replace battery / carry spare ? can you carry multiple storage cards in case memory fills ? can you get something not located on a tightly-controlled server without going through the trouble of risking your device in trying to hack it and open up ?

16. Nereis

Nereis Well-Known Member

The problem is, RIM is trying to appeal to the retail consumer from a base of corporate consumers. If RIM just wanted to focus purely on their corporate smartphones business they could do very well, but they've expanded outside their area of core competence without first mover advantage and have paid the price.

While their phones are still quality products, the lack of third party support and mass market appeal has doomed it as a firm.

17. the shah

yup trying to get a market riddled with ADHD is not good when your product is the equivalent of a pager in comparison

18. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Only children use their smartphones to listen to music and use apps. Derp derp derp derp derp.

19. imageWIS

Not sure what this means...? I never stated that the iPhone is perfect, far from it.

Who gives a shit what you personally like? Or what I personally like? What matters is comparison of specs, period, and not your (or anyone else's subjective personal needs).

You can keep calling the iPhone a toy (and I assume that if I bring up the Droid Razr, you'll call it a toy too), but you are just using empty words.

he fact that I have to answer the following tells me that you don't have a solid grasp of what we are discussing:

Yes... it's quad-band, just like every other high-end smartphone that uses GSM.

Yes, if you buy an unlocked version, depending on GSM or CDMA, or if it's locked, you have to use it with a specific carrier, EXACTLY like every other phone purchased through carriers in the US.

IDK what 'all features' means, but yes.

Again, not sure what this refers to.

Nope, closed system. Can you access BB email without having to go through BB's servers? Nope. Why? Closed system.

No, and...?

No, it's def a drawback of the iPhone.

No, instead we have the iCloud so you don't have to carry anything extra.

Not sure what you mean... dropbox (and lots of other 3rd party apps) let you store things on the phone and none of the items have to go through Apple...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  20. imageWIS

:laugh: