1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is Pebble Grain Calfskin shoes considered less formal?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by CloudLi, Oct 8, 2016.

1. CloudLi

CloudLi Well-Known Member

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4586
    PEBBLE GRAIN CALFSKIN is considered less formal than a smooth calfskin, so does it work with a business suit? Meermin even states it is "country" calf. I like other parts of the shoes, but only going to wear them with business suits in an office setting

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

Official answer - Yes, its a less formal leather.

Real answer - Depends on your office. With many of the abominations that people call shoes today, just having leather is a step up. That said, smooth calfskin is what you want for conservativel business dress.

3. CloudLi

CloudLi Well-Known Member

The link I provided is the shoes I am referring to. I am an analyst at one of the Canadian bank.

4. mrballs

mrballs Well-Known Member

Yes, without a doubt, pebble grain calfskin is definitely considered less formal than smooth calfskin, in the business world.

Having said that, if you are not in a front office/client facing role within the bank, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing pebble grain shoes. However, if you are, best to follow your seniors and not attempt to stand out from the norm. It could spell the difference between an exceptional appraisal and an average one.

5. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend those shoes for business dress with a suit in the banking industry.

A cap toe oxford is a fairly formal shoe, but the pebble grain is informal. It is a discordant combination IMO.
    On the other hand pebble grain would work with a split-toe derby or a longwing brogue, for example.