1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is my outfit too "colorful"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by k4lnamja, Feb 11, 2011.

1. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

when i hear this stuff I just laugh...

once had a guy come into our store and say that he needed to buy 5 white shirts and 5 black pants.

his office boss told him they were to dress conservative so only black and white was allowed and navy plain ties only.

i was like [​IMG] you should find a new job.

2. saiyar1

saiyar1 Well-Known Member

It's the tie. Too loud. Wear that shirt with a dark, deep purple and no one would say a word.

I have a feeling most people (read: not SF'ers who wear 2" cuffs and other showoff things) would find it too colorful or loud. If you want to wear it, wear it. Just deal with anything that comes with it.

3. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

4. Felix Krull

Felix Krull Well-Known Member

You need to learn how to dimple a tie. Try again.

5. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

Stages of Coworker(CW) office attire denial
    • CW does not say anything about clothes upon meeting, but notices and is caught gazing often
    • CW makes sarcastic comment about tie/shirt as you become acquainted
    • CW makes expected comment about perceived homosexual styling
    • CW approaches OP about something of the "least gay" nature - typically shoes - and asks innocent question
    • CW quietly ends sarcasting commenting about you clothes
    • CW subscribes to GQ and googls "mens style" in hopes of keeping up with you without appearing to need help
    • CW shows up with black slacks, terrible winter weather salted black dress shoes, black tie with monochromatic shirt from express and gaudy watch
    • CW eventually begins discussing style with the dapper OP and OP begins the process of slowly crushing the "style" of CW with classic truths and style maxims

Where does getting a bespoke cape fit amongst all this?

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I am surprised to learn that the Amish are now working in finance.

7. tjc4golf

tjc4golf Well-Known Member

They were making fun of you because normally YOU never wear color. Ask yourself honestly if a solid purple tie is a departure from office norms, or your personal norms.
    This is what I thought when I read your post. If you typically dress like a typical worker bee and then one day show up dressed differently, people will take notice and comment. I think change in one's wardrobe should be gradual. Given my work environment, I get away with wearing some crazy shit. Had I been wearing "crazy shit" from day one it would not have been well received. However, I started by nailing the CBD classic looks and then progressively pushing the envelope. Now, instead of colleagues making snide remarks they'll ask me for advice. This is also awkward (the last guy who asked for advice wanted to know where he could get wool office pants for under $100) but less awkward than receiving unwanted comments.

8. btinl

btinl Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me.

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

I am surprised to learn that the Amish are now working in finance.

Yes, but they can only use abacuses - no PC's [​IMG]

Insofar as the OP's original question, do I personally think that the shirt/tie combo was "too colorful" - no. Was it colorful enough to make two insecure hetero men comment - obviously yes (there is nothing like a strong color to bring out insecurities in straight men - especially purple). Take a word of advice from an openly gay man - ignore isht from insecure hetero men - it's worked for me for several decades.

10. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me. I'm dead set against ever wearing a tie w/o a jacket, though. Screams "high school homecoming" to me. I'd wear the particular combo above with a tan suit (don't actually own one, just saying what I think would look good on a warm LA day.

11. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Well-Known Member

perfectly fine with a grey or navy suit/trousers. nice shirt!

12. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

A purple tie is not inherently too colorful or ugly, but that purple tie is.

13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

You need to learn how to dimple a tie. Try again.

Yes, I know! This was probably my 4th or 5th time tying a 4IH. I cannot tie a 4IH properly, therefore, I tie a half windsor all of the time. I am trying though. Hah

Looks fine to me. I'm dead set against ever wearing a tie w/o a jacket, though. Screams "high school homecoming" to me. I'd wear the particular combo above with a tan suit (don't actually own one, just saying what I think would look good on a warm LA day.

Tan suit? Would've never thought of that. I think grey or navy would look best so I'm going to scratch the black trouser combo.

perfectly fine with a grey or navy suit/trousers. nice shirt!

I agree about the grey or navy.

A purple tie is not inherently too colorful or ugly, but that purple tie is.

Haha. Thanks for your honesty. You fellow SF members do not hold back. I like that. I don't think it's the nicest purple tie either but it's the only purple tie I have in my collection so it'll have to do for now.

Cheers

14. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

Yes, but they can only use abacuses - no PC's [​IMG]

Insofar as the OP's original question, do I personally think that the shirt/tie combo was "too colorful" - no. Was it colorful enough to make two insecure hetero men comment - obviously yes (there is nothing like a strong color to bring out insecurities in straight men - especially purple). Take a word of advice from an openly gay man - ignore isht from insecure hetero men - it's worked for me for several decades.

That's funny you say that because two people said, "nice color combo today." The first was an admin (woman) the other was an associate who's gay. I guess you win some and you lose some.

Cheers

15. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Well-Known Member

That's funny you say that because two people said, "nice color combo today." The first was an admin (woman) the other was an associate who's gay. I guess you win some and you lose some.

Cheers

So which was the "win" in this case?