• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to "slim" down the lapels of a canvassed jacket? If so, how hard and at what price?

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see some great deals on older suits on ebay. The lapels on all of them are just way too big and they have pleats. I know it's not a big deal to remove the pleats, but what about thinning down the lapels? If it is possible, how much should it cost me?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not try

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "it's not a big deal to remove pleats" isn't actually true as well. You have to completely disassemble the pants, completely recut the legs, and the reassemble.

You can narrow lapels, but not on patterned suits as the line of the pattern is generally cut to follow the line of the lapel edge. Pinstripes are notoriously bad. Better to just buy a suit in the style you want.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First, it's not that easy removing pleats and requires a pretty skilled tailor as you are moving pockets and recutting. Most common mistake is the trousers come out too tight in the seat.

Narrowing lapels can be done but most cheat and cut the edge and disregard the grain line of the cloth so it looks altered and askew. If the lapel buttonhole is cut thru, reducing at the edge is not possible. There are three ways to narrow the lapel without opening the outside edge but they have to know how and then do it skillfully.

Personally, I don't think restyling of suits is a good idea. Buy the style you want. If the alterations are not done well and you are not happy with the result, you lose in every way.

maxee

Reaction score
I would suggest forget about the alterlation for older suits. Spend the money on something new and does not require alterlation.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't try. I would imagine that (1) it would be noticeable even with a good tailor and (2) the proportions might be off on the lapel-to-suit after doing it.

pgmetcalf

Reaction score
I would suggest forget about the alterlation for older suits. Spend the money on something new and does not require alterlation.

Most suits need some form of alteration, especially if you're purchasing an off-the-peg suit. You're very fornuate if you can get such suits to fit correctly and a keen eye can always spot one. If you're buying a suit for 500 you'd probably spend another 100 having it fitted correctly and there's not much point in doing that IMO because you can have a full-tailored suit for not much more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads