1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

is it possible to change industries?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Milpool, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Milpool

Milpool Well-Known Member

Pretty straightforward question. Right now, how possible is it to change industries entirely?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I've done it, 3-4 times, depending on how you look at one of the moves. it depends on how you leverage it - I basically went from training people to use arms, to selling the services, to selling used military medical equipment, to selling medical equipment, to selling software, to selling communications systems, back to medical equipment, then back to communications systems.

3. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

I think it largely depends on they type of role. Things like sales, accounting, IT jobs might have the same core duties regardless of what the company actually does.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, I have gone from banking to consulting to marketing analytics.

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

Changing industries is definately possible. Changing job functions might be harder.

6. Milpool

Interesting point. If my current job function is essentially tied to a specific industry, am I screwed?

7. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Tell us what it is, and what your core skills are.

8. globetrotter

Interesting point. If my current job function is essentially tied to a specific industry, am I screwed?

you have to figure out how to explain the transition.

9. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member

I like the rule that with a move you can either change jobs or change industries.

Almost impossible to do both at the same time and sometimes just accomplishing any change requires a new degree.

Is it possible to change jobs within your industry, with a longer term goal of switching out of industry with your new job title?

10. Milpool

I like the rule that with a move you can either change jobs or change industries.

Almost impossible to do both at the same time and sometimes just accomplishing any change requires a new degree.

Is it possible to change jobs within your industry, with a longer term goal of switching out of industry with your new job title?

Ugh. That rule is what is making my search for an exit strategy so miserable.

I have tried several times to switch roles, and it isn't working. Interviews are not going well. I keep getting passed away from the position I apply for and back towards the position I have. So I think the only way out is to change industries so that I'm not seen as more valuable in my current role (math/physics geek, med device stuff).

11. alliswell

Do you really want to do something new or do you want to get paid more money to do what you're currently doing?

12. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

what kind of math/physics geek

13. Milpool

Do you really want to do something new or do you want to get paid more money to do what you're currently doing?

This is the exact problem I have with interviewers. They either don't believe I want out or don't believe I'm capable of doing something else.

Why is that so hard to believe?

14. Milpool

what kind of math/physics geek

The kind that is ready for a change.

15. alliswell

This is the exact problem I have with interviewers. They either don't believe I want out or don't believe I'm capable of doing something else.

Please make your case as articulately as you can to us here. Wanting to change is nice, but there has to be a more compelling reason.

16. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

Changing industries is definitely possible, all the more so if they're somewhat related and/or complementary. I've gone from information technology to medical devices to pharma devices & diagnostics. As with most things in life, you need a proper narrative so that your prospective employer actually perceives your previous experience as making you uniquely valuable.

On a related note, simultaneously changing your functional role in a different industry is more difficult, while doing both and changing geographies is harder yet. A person's likelihood to excel in the new role is typically inversely proportional to the degrees of separation away from his/her core competencies (although the rewards may make the risks worthwhile). YMMV.

17. Milpool

Please make your case as articulately as you can to us here. Wanting to change is nice, but there has to be a more compelling reason.

I wanted to be a statistics code monkey for pharma/clinical trials type stuff. I made one very incredibly stupid mistake when I was young: I applied for, was offered and accepted an internship on the device side and this is where I've been stuck for the rest of my life. It turns out I don't like what I do, nor do I like the industry.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Try that again without using that many negatives or the verb "stuck"

19. globetrotter

I wanted to be a statistics code monkey for pharma/clinical trials type stuff. I made one very incredibly stupid mistake when I was young: I applied for, was offered and accepted an internship on the device side and this is where I've been stuck for the rest of my life. It turns out I don't like what I do, nor do I like the industry.

oh, yeah, you are screwed. sorry. do you have any fun hobbies?

20. Milpool

Try that again without using that many negatives or the verb "stuck"

I'm a statistician by training. Against my better judgment I took an internship in med device. I'm quite handy with electronics and optics, so I am on the physics side as I'm not an engineer. I've tried several times in my career to switch over to statistics in various industries, but no one seems to believe I can make the switch.