1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to root for a sports team if you have no ties with that city?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Kyoung05, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

You have nothing to do with the success/failure of your favorite sports team. So get excited, but don't hit the wife or the dog. It's all geographical. You should be a fan of your local teams if you have no strong allegiances. Allegiances may be inherited from fathers, but must decrease in fervor 50% for each generation removed from the actual geographical location. In the event of no inherited or local teams, I'm sorry, but you have no team. And no, if you are not from New York or New England, you are not a Yankees or Red Sox fan. If you are not from Texas/Oklahoma/etc. you are not a Cowboys fan. It is not nor will it ever be "cool" to be a Cubs fan, you fuckers didn't exist when all we had was Mark Grace and Shawon Dunston.

2. ronmill

ronmill Well-Known Member

Yes, especially if you live in a shit city with no teams such as myself

3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

i also am amused by the people who have no team of their own, but whose sports existence revolves around hating a particular team. unless that team is from New England, or is named "Yankees", or "University of Miami Hurricanes". if so, then please carry on [​IMG]

4. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Well-Known Member

The ONLY acceptable reason to be a fan of a sports team not located in your city is if your team has no comparable team. For example: St. Louisian's have no basketball team, and therefore are free to pick. Picking a team because they are SUCCESSFUL though, makes you a huge wad. If you live in the STL and you are a Lakers/Bulls/Celtics fan, then you are a major wad.

Following European soccer if you are in the US makes you a HUGE douchewad. You can be a casual fan, but to try and use words like "passion" makes you a megadouche on par with someone that wears Ed Hardy.

5. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

Many thousand Manchester United fans can't be wrong, right ? [​IMG]

6. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Well-Known Member

I'm from Green Bay, Wisconsin. These are the teams I've been a fan of since my youth:
    NFL: Packers(of course)
    MLB: St Louis Cardinals
    NHL: Montreal Canadiens
    Soccer: Bayern Munich
    NBA: Boston Celtics

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

well euro soccer is a bit like F1 and the NBA where if you don't have roots (father from barcelona ect) then you can just follow your favorite superstar.

like I remember seeing/following Ronaldo since his first days on Man U, or even Henry on Arsenal.... but if it comes to National Team play... I'm a huge bandwagon USA Soccer fan... LOL

it would be fun to have a truly american division/team in F1 (like the defunct US F1 Team). it would be hilarious and awesome to have the MERICAN's winning F1 races and have the nascar hillbilly crowd behind them (imagine the races in europe where they have the euro fans mingling with the Nascar crowd). I can only imagine the horror of Ferarri losing to something like the Cheve or a F1 with a modified Ford Malibu engine...

The ONLY acceptable reason to be a fan of a sports team not located in your city is if your team has no comparable team. For example: St. Louisian's have no basketball team, and therefore are free to pick. Picking a team because they are SUCCESSFUL though, makes you a huge wad. If you live in the STL and you are a Lakers/Bulls/Celtics fan, then you are a major wad.

Following European soccer if you are in the US makes you a HUGE douchewad. You can be a casual fan, but to try and use words like "passion" makes you a megadouche on par with someone that wears Ed Hardy.