• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to root for a sports team if you have no ties with that city?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
As long as you're not rooting for the Cubs, yes. (No offense Ron, b/c I know you have ties to the city. But you have to admit that 95% of Cubs fans A) don't know or care about anything related to baseball, and B) are douchey )

Can I be a Cubs fan if I grew up in Indiana, and come from a family of 3+ generations of Cubs fans that has its original homestead dating to 1842 in Illinois? I mean under your criteria I am borderline, but my blood is blue, very Cubbie blue. Your point about yuppie, Wrigley's a beer-garden, idiot Cubs fans who are Cubs fans because it is cool, is well taken though.

amotsang

Reaction score
It's amusing to listen to some of the reasons people root for various teams. I met a guy who cheers for the Packers, Yankees, Celtics and Alabama, but he's never lived in any of those places. Seems like he did an internet search for teams with wonderful histories.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I support the Twins because their AAA team is in my hometown. I've never been anywhere near Minnesota.
I think that's acceptable reasoning

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
It's hard to be an Isiah-the-GM fan.

It's just hard trying to be a Larry Bird coach or GM fan
frown.gif

They both were great players and piss poor coaches and GMs

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you grew up* in an area with a local* team, then no, it's not acceptable (with few exceptions.)

*Definitions for both can be a bit fuzzy.

It's also ******* unacceptable to live in NY and root for the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, and Islanders (or the Chicago equivalent, etc.) In fact, whatever team you don't root for should be hated. Mets fans should hate the Yanks almost as much as the Phils, and Yanks fans should hate the Mets almost as much as the Sox.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

It's also ******* unacceptable to live in NY and root for the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, and Islanders (or the Chicago equivalent, etc.) In fact, whatever team you don't root for should be hated. Mets fans should hate the Yanks almost as much as the Phils, and Yanks fans should hate the Mets almost as much as the Sox.

Yes. So imagine how I felt this past October. Although I do usually root for the Jets if they're not playing the Giants...and I really don't care enough about the NBA.

But here's a question...I'm a VERY proud Brooklynite, born and raised...what do I do if the Isles move here and become the Brooklyn Islanders? How can I root against a team in a place I feel a part of? But how can I root for a team I've hated so much my whole life?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Yes. So imagine how I felt this past October. Although I do usually root for the Jets if they're not playing the Giants...and I really don't care enough about the NBA.

But here's a question...I'm a VERY proud Brooklynite, born and raised...what do I do if the Isles move here and become the Brooklyn Islanders? How can I root against a team in a place I feel a part of? But how can I root for a team I've hated so much my whole life?

Yeah, that's even worse than I had it during the Pats/Giants Super Bowl.

Your question is a tough one, and is the type of thing that I would be willing to make an exception for. I suspect that if it happens, during the first few games you'll find yourself either pulling for them or continuing to hate them. Just go with it either way.

Embarrassing personal anecdote - when I was young I was a Braves fan for a number of years. They were good and I was a frontrunning douche of a kid. I stopped being a fan when they finally won the WS - it was a total letdown. I realized that I would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more had it been "my" team.

People who grow up in Philly and become Cowboys fans, I can't help but wonder if they rooted for the USSR in the '80s Olympics. ******* communists.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
hence my logic for wanting to cheer/watch games of the mets. they are only a 30min subway ride away from me... share my mutual hatred of the yankees... and rarely play the redsox... quick story: when i was 7 we just moved from RI to OC california and I was watching the 86 WS with my uncle (from california and lover the lakers and angels ), dad, and older brother... when the sox were losing in game 7 my uncle said: "this is over the redsox should of won yesterday" I said: "**** you, I hate the ******* lakers and you're angels choked against the sox... so **** you" and walked away... my uncle was pissed and looked at my dad and brother.. my dad never apologized and took me out to ice cream afterwards. being around california to watch the Lakers beat the celtics in 87 and win again in 88 was the worst... even as a little kid.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

There was a big debate during last year's World Series by the local radio hosts here on whether Mets fans should root for the Phillies or the Yankees. Personally, I rooted for the Yankees. As much as I hate the Yankees and wish that they lose every time I see them playing, I ******* hate the Phillies with a passion and would never root for them no matter what. Oh yeah, and while we're at it, **** the Flyers, Eagles, Sixers, and this new ******* Philadelphia Union MLS team too.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
There was a big debate during last year's World Series by the local radio hosts here on whether Mets fans should root for the Phillies or the Yankees. Personally, I rooted for the Yankees. As much as I hate the Yankees and wish that they lose every time I see them playing, I ******* hate the Phillies with a passion and would never root for them no matter what. Oh yeah, and while we're at it, **** the Flyers, Eagles, Sixers, and this new ******* Philadelphia Union MLS team too.

Jimmy Rollins is a douche, as is Chase Utley (I was rooting for the Yankees too, I think).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Jimmy Rollins is a douche, as is Chase Utley (I was rooting for the Yankees too, I think).

I can see where Mets fans would think Rollins was a douche, but Utley is not.

Certainly neither approaches the douchiness of K-Rod, which is a statement I bet I could even get a lot of Mets fans to agree with.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Can I be a Cubs fan if I grew up in Indiana, and come from a family of 3+ generations of Cubs fans that has its original homestead dating to 1842 in Illinois? I mean under your criteria I am borderline, but my blood is blue, very Cubbie blue. Your point about yuppie, Wrigley's a beer-garden, idiot Cubs fans who are Cubs fans because it is cool, is well taken though.
I think you're good. I think family allegiances play a big part of who you're a fan of. Your parents always had Cubs games on, you were bound to become a Cubs fan if you ever took any interest in the sport. My family always had White Sox games on, so I'm a White Sox fan. This part doesn't apply to you, but no matter what your parents like or what you grew up watching, if you have little to no interest in baseball and someone asks you who you like and you say "Oh I'm a Cubs fan," then that is stupid. You're not a Cubs fan in that case. You're not a baseball fan. You're just a guy who's watched a few games.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
It's just hard trying to be a Larry Bird coach or GM fan
frown.gif
They both were great players and piss poor coaches and GMs

my mom has season tickets at conseco right where larry sits. She sent me an autograph she got on a ticket stub the other day .... larry birds autograph on a pacers vs. nets stub
laugh.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ive always been a laker fan, but i never was a clipper fan. i dont know, they are in the same city and use the same arena, but i could care less. i tried to care a bit, a few times, i went to a few clipper games (usually because they were free or got invited) but i couldnt care less. sorry.

Same here. Also, big Dodgers fan but not the Angels even though I could be at their stadium within 5 minutes from now. Ducks fan but could care less about the Kings. With no local professional team and always hating the Raiders, started as a Florida State fan (still am) as my intro to football was watching an FSU vs. UF game on tv. Shortly afterward when Warrick Dunn got drafted I became a TB Buccaneer fan and still am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads