1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is it me or is the current v-neck t-shirt trend atrocious?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Jun 25, 2007.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Ah... cool cool. Every time I see a V-neck, I can't help but to think of older Italian men wearing a threadbare v-neck with khaki shoes and loafers (e.g. my godfather). So, for me, I'll never be able to wear v-necks.
    Khaki shoes and loafers? I'd like to see that outfit [​IMG]

I have never seen the AA deep Vneck work well. Without an undershirt, you have man cleavage(a friend of mine wore one to class one day and we both agreed he'd never do it again), and if you wear an undershirt, it basically becomes 75% of the girls walking around's outfit. The whole deep scoop neck shirt with a tube top or other shirt underneath thing. Doesn't work for guys as well. The AA model on the site does it and it doesn't look flattering or cool.

2. Rye GB

Rye GB Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see pictures in WAYWT of the people who don't like V-Necks, Totes, Skinny jeans etc. I guarantee it's members of a prudish disposition when it comes to clothing. If it scares you ignore it, just blend in with the crowd. What could be better than playing it safe all the time[​IMG]

3. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Well-Known Member

Khaki shoes and loafers? I'd like to see that outfit [​IMG]

I have never seen the AA deep Vneck work well. Without an undershirt, you have man cleavage(a friend of mine wore one to class one day and we both agreed he'd never do it again), and if you wear an undershirt, it basically becomes 75% of the girls walking around's outfit. The whole deep scoop neck shirt with a tube top or other shirt underneath thing. Doesn't work for guys as well. The AA model on the site does it and it doesn't look flattering or cool.

Der... I meant khakis shorts =)

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I think it looks good on people who can pull it off (e.g., sphoxx and haptronic on superfuture, rye, etc.). I can understand how it could get annoying if it were ubiquitous--but it's not, outside of Brooklyn and Silverlake, apparently.

On anyone with broad shoulders or hips, it looks terrible. Very late 90s, ribbed tshirt banana republic.

5. seanchai

seanchai Well-Known Member

I bought an AA deep-v this weekend and am planning to wear it tomorrow. I am aware that it's effete, but I also wear superslim jeans and occasionally bobby pins in my hair. I generally don't mind not rigidly following proscribed gender roles in clothing/fashion.

I do have broad shoulders relative to my waist though... maybe I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and we can all laugh at how strange it looks.

6. chronoaug

My friend and i just didn't like the man-cleavage it gave when he sat in his desk. Not that it was too girly, but it just wasn't that flattering. If you can pull it off, more power to you.

7. London

London Well-Known Member

what trend - the 'vneck look' has been around for years

8. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

You have basically described the outfit worn by one of my best friends, but he's a 6'4" mary and he'll likely give you the big boot/crucifix powerbomb if you give him a funny look.

9. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Well-Known Member

I didn't even know guys carried totes.

10. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

I like v-necks..they excentuate my collar-bones/traps/upper chest [​IMG]

11. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

I think this new trend of guy getting angry when other men choose to wear vaguely feminine clothing is dumb.

12. chronoaug

We should be equally angry about women wearing jeans. I want them in long dresses, corsets, hats, gloves, and stockings. God help us if they are showing off their wrist or ankle.

13. zacharydschroeder

zacharydschroeder Well-Known Member

if the shirt is well fitted and not too deep cut, its not bad, but when they have such a deep v that the wearer looks like a cross-dresser, its weird. And for some reason when they fit too loosely it just looks kind of trashy.

14. Garage/Surf Rock

Garage/Surf Rock Well-Known Member

Sorry for the ranting that started this thread.

I agree, it really depends on the person. Some guys really cannot pull off this look. Maybe where I am the look has reached a saturation point - unless you're James Dean or comparable in terms of proportions or looks, it doesn't work. But who am I to hate if someone wants to dress like this, right?

I guess to me it's too trendy and metrosexual a look but to many others of you on this forum it's either a classic or very now look that has not reached saturation in your area.

15. chronoaug

I mean, it's not hard to wear things that other people wear, but in a different(better?) way. I mean, half the people on campus here are wearing jeans, shoes and a tshirt, but i try to at least make it look better with fit and jeans that look a bit more interesting than the standard oversized predistressed jeans.

16. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Well-Known Member

I think the problem lies in that you need a very specific body type for it not to look bad. If you are super super thin, and the V shows your poking sterum, it looks bad. If you are at all soft in the pecs, you'll look "booby", which looks very bad. If your pecs are built-up to any degree, you'll have cleavage in the V, and that looks bad too.

Basically, you need definition under, but not on top of your pecs. It's a mericlessly hard to wear shirt, IMO.

17. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Well-Known Member

I would think a v-neck should tone down muscular builds. With the physique I've developed I prefer v-neck shirts not just for the comfort around the neck, but also because they soften my build (not in a pudgy way).

Kind of like undoing the top button on a fine shirt they're just slightly relaxed but not sloppy and all the more comfortable.

18. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

You can't pay me enough to wear a V-Neck T-Shirt.
    It looks fine on some others, but it's definitely not for me.

19. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I wear it (v-neck) on hot days with jeans when it's ok to be very casual. I have pretty big traps, chest and wide shoulders, and I agree that it helps soften the shape of my upper body.

edit: because of the below post, I guess I should note that I do wear a Buddha pendant which I think pulls some of the focus away from my musclebreasts to the pendant.

20. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

I think the problem lies in that you need a very specific body type for it not to look bad. If you are super super thin, and the V shows your poking sterum, it looks bad. If you are at all soft in the pecs, you'll look "booby", which looks very bad. If your pecs are built-up to any degree, you'll have cleavage in the V, and that looks bad too.

Basically, you need definition under, but not on top of your pecs. It's a mericlessly hard to wear shirt, IMO.

this is quite possibly the most perfect explanation of the hit or miss quality of v-necks. i for one love the look, and especially when one can pull it off disheveled and slouchy looking

here are some examples of what i think constitutes successful attempts of wearing v-necks (and maybe a henley v-neck thrown in there too) . . .

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

braidkid does it well too

i think a necklace with some kind of catchy pendant whether it be a coin or bullet etc, helps the look out too also. it makes it look slightly less like 'look at my bare chest; i'm wearing a v-neck shirt' and more complete and 'hey look, cool necklace, cool shirt, cool pants - nice ensemble . . .'

i also tend to like them wider at the top and with the deepness of AA's regular v.