1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is it common practice to have your shirt maker make handkerchiefs for pocket squares?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otacon, Feb 17, 2016.

1. otacon

otacon Well-Known Member

I've recently seen the choice of wearing a handkerchief that matches one's shirt, and it's not a bad idea. Obviously everyone used to do it with white, but what I saw was a baby blue pairing that made it obvious it was intentional.

Is it common? I suppose an added benefit is that they can make the handker to the exact size needed to fold easily into whatever size your breast pockets are.

2. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

I've asked a shirtmaker to make a couple handkerchiefs from leftover material when ordering a couple CMT shirts. And I really mean handkerchiefs, for cleaning, not pocketsquares for wear in a jacket. Having handkerchiefs made from leftover material isn't a bad idea imo.

But wearing a shirt together w/ the matching handkerchief as a pocketsquare isn't common or a good idea. You want the PS to complement your shirt, tie, etc, but not to match any or all other elements.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. otacon

otacon Well-Known Member

Eh.
    I might think twice if they were patterned, but plain? I do white cotton with white cotton all the time, not sure why I wouldn't do light blue with light blue.