1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is dressing well false advertising if you're not wealthy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MillionaireTeacher, Dec 8, 2009.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

I don't dress like an aristocrat, I dress like an aristocat.

[​IMG]

moar importantly, do you see what I did there?

2. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Seems like I interpreted the original post differently than others which led to my first phrase. Oh well.

No worries my man. I will tell you this, I've seen some well off people who dress like crap, its how they hold on to their money.

Every 2-3 years there's alawys a story about a guy who lived like a hermit who still wore the same 2 pair of pants he purchased in the 80's being worth $100 million dollars or so.

3. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

A banker friend of mine used to say "Never judge a man's bank account by his clothes or where he lives." Growing up I lived in Levittown style neighborhood. Besides NFL players (who were earning lower-middle class wages back then) we had a few wealthy individuals who were just happy living a modest lower-middle class lifestyle.

That being said, I do like the prejudice of salescritters who judge me when I am dressed up and refer to me as "Mr. Squirrel" while they make a fuss. Otherwise, while I like the finer things in life: roller derby, craft beers, off roading, rockabilly... er... Maybe what many would not consider the "finer" things. I don't want to bother with the time and effort to be extremely wealthy, just to look as good I can with the resources available.

ETA: don't know why I brought up the NFL (and NHL Players) I guess we were just proud as kids to have them there.

4. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

One of the simple pleasures of being a smart discount/secondhand shopper is walking into, say, Neiman Marcus wearing a $4000 outfit that you spent $500 on and having the salespeople fawn over you. It's a good way of taking advantage of their expertise for free.

5. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

One of the simple pleasures of being a smart discount/secondhand shopper is walking into, say, Neiman Marcus wearing a $4000 outfit that you spent $500 on and having the salespeople fawn over you. It's a good way of taking advantage of their expertise for free.

My mom and I were out shopping once and we ended up at a Coach outlet. She just purchased a brand new Coach bag about 2 weeks before from a retail Coach location and the associate at the outlet knew it wasn't an outlet purchase and fawned over her about.

6. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

No worries my man. I will tell you this, I've seen some well off people who dress like crap, its how they hold on to their money.

Every 2-3 years there's alawys a story about a guy who lived like a hermit who still wore the same 2 pair of pants he purchased in the 80's being worth $100 million dollars or so.

The owner of more Chevrolet dealerships than anybody in the world lives in my town (yes, he lives in Grand Forks, ND). A cousin of mine knows him and one of his sons. The guy employs five full-time mechanics just to fix up old classic cars for him. Usually, he drives around in an old Chevy pickup with a flannel shirt and jeans.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. Unless you're wearing a monocle, or are decked out head to toe in brand new clothes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would assume people are less likely to assume well dressed = rich than well dressed = gay.

That said, if you dress like a striver and try to live a flashy lifestyle, people will recognize that.

8. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

My mom and I were out shopping once and we ended up at a Coach outlet. She just purchased a brand new Coach bag about 2 weeks before from a retail Coach location and the associate at the outlet knew it wasn't an outlet purchase and fawned over her about.

lulz

9. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. Unless you're wearing a monocle, or are decked out head to toe in brand new clothes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would assume people are less likely to assume well dressed = rich than well dressed = gay.

That said, if you dress like a striver and try to live a flashy lifestyle, people will recognize that.

+500!

10. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

The rich aren't particularly well dressed these days. .

Wait...you mean Scott Storch, NBA players, hipster Hollywood stars, and most hip-hop artists don't dress well???????

11. Montrachet

Montrachet Well-Known Member

It's not about whether the rich dress well, it's about whether dressing well is secretly trying to convince other people you're rich.

12. r...

r... Well-Known Member

It's not about whether the rich dress well, it's about whether dressing well is secretly trying to convince other people you're rich.
    Nope, its about the perceiving of others to have that false notion. If you want to secretly convince others that youre rich try small things, like pronouncing foyer correctly.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

That is my goal, because it generally makes it easier to bed women if they believe I have a lot of money. Granted, they don't stick around very long, but that's not what I'm after anyway.

14. Stockton

Stockton Member

While the OP of this thread chose to focus on wealth, I think the concern should be more along the lines of not stacking up to how well you dress in terms of education, cultural knowledge (art, philosophy, music, theater, etc.), how well-travelled you are, and a big one that I think tells all - if you're capable of nabbing a woman who is equivalent to how you think of yourself.

15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member