1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is Diet Coke bad for me?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Matt, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I've been drinking diet soda for so long that I dont like the taste of regular soda anymore.

yep, I can't drink normal soda anymore than a couple sips. Diet pepsi tastes so much better than real Pepsi. It was initially hard to make that transition but once you do, you can't go back.

2. thom_h

thom_h Member

Diet Pepsi is infinitely better.

ah, that is so true! diet pepsi has a lower sodium count that diet coke too, and i personally think it's fizzier? i was brought up by my parents drinking diet versions of drinks, and i really can't see a difference to be honest! heck, i reckon normal coke or pepsi is too sweet.

3. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Diet pepsi tastes so much better than real Pepsi.

What do you mix the Diet Pepsi with to acheive these results?

[​IMG]

m

4. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Just want to update people on my latest research on this issue. I've now decided to cut diet soda completely out of my diet. Apparently, the sweet taste of diet soda, even though it has no actual calories, is enough to trigger an insulin-spiking response in your body. In other words, when you taste the sweetness of diet soda, your body through conditioning thinks that it's going to get sugar, so it begins to raise insulin levels on its own (kind of like Pavlov's dogs). I'm going to stick to club soda now.

5. golightly

golightly Member

Thats bizarre. Diet soda seems to taste so artificial. Its gotta have some detriment.

6. mcpaul

mcpaul Well-Known Member

I'm a 4-5 coke a day guy who's tried in numerous past attempts to quit. Has anyone here ever quite coke cold turkey?

I do drink juice and generally lots of it, I have also tried Snapple ice teas (again, bad for me?) and also water of course. I've managed to cut off the coke for about a week at a time and get splitting headaches from it.

What would be an effective way to cut it completely? I don't like diet pop at all.

One hard thing is, the roomate is just as bad as me with the coke and thus it is always in the fridge, available.

7. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I'm a 4-5 coke a day guy who's tried in numerous past attempts to quit. Has anyone here ever quite coke cold turkey?

I do drink juice and generally lots of it, I have also tried Snapple ice teas (again, bad for me?) and also water of course. I've managed to cut off the coke for about a week at a time and get splitting headaches from it.

What would be an effective way to cut it completely? I don't like diet pop at all.

One hard thing is, the roomate is just as bad as me with the coke and thus it is always in the fridge, available.

If you're serious about losing weight and getting into better shape like you described in the other thread, remove ALL of the drinks mentioned in this post (with the obvious exception of water) from your diet. Or works toward this goal.

As far suggestion for a coke replacement, try coffee or tea, slightly sweetened with Splenda or Sweet'n'Low.

8. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Well-Known Member

Any kind of cola stains your teeth.

9. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Just want to update people on my latest research on this issue. I've now decided to cut diet soda completely out of my diet. Apparently, the sweet taste of diet soda, even though it has no actual calories, is enough to trigger an insulin-spiking response in your body. In other words, when you taste the sweetness of diet soda, your body through conditioning thinks that it's going to get sugar, so it begins to raise insulin levels on its own (kind of like Pavlov's dogs). I'm going to stick to club soda now.
    This is actually not true, it was later determined that it does not affect insulin levels.

10. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

wow, it has been over two years since I switched to Diet.

Time flies.

FWIW I can't drink the full strength stuff any more, just way way way too sweet for me. Ive lost about 8 kilo since then too.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

It's not hard to switch to water. After a while, its all you want to drink. Really.

12. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

This is actually not true, it was later determined that it does not affect insulin levels.

Whew! As one of the dudes on the BC forum whose opinions I value, I will take your word for it, but still think that I should cut back a bit.

13. cldpsu

cldpsu Well-Known Member

I don't support a business that kills union activists.

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I like Coke Zero on occasion. I went overboard today and had two cans though.

15. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Whew! As one of the dudes on the BC forum whose opinions I value, I will take your word for it, but still think that I should cut back a bit.

While Diet sodas don't cause an insulin spike, they do help keep you addicted to sweets if that's your problem. For some people who have a sweet tooth and are having trouble with their diet, something like a diet coke will send them all the way back to square 1 in their cravings for more sweet things, so it's best to avoid stuff like that altogether if you're trying to cut sugar (and your taste for sugar) out of your diet.

A legit reason to go with Pepsi over Coca Cola products

16. Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Nico Samuel Pleninsek Well-Known Member

I haven't had a coke in about a year! [​IMG]

Water and a little tea!

17. Grayland

Grayland Well-Known Member

I won't get into nutrition/scientific details, but I've yet to see a person who drinks a lot of soda (regular or diet) who looks fit/healthy. It's liquid candy.

18. Jumbie

Jumbie Well-Known Member

While Diet sodas don't cause an insulin spike, they do help keep you addicted to sweets if that's your problem.

I've been meaning to look into this research because I do recall once reading that simply the sweetness can cause an insulin response although it would definitely have to be some kind of Pavlovian phenomenon.

I know you said some people but I've found quite the opposite. When craving sugar, I find that a nice sweetened cup of tea or a flavored drink like Crystal Lite can usually satisfy me. Chocolate is the problem because when I start craving that or ice cream I'm in trouble. [​IMG]

19. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Please elaborate? I haven't heard anything about this [​IMG]

20. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

It's not hard to switch to water. After a while, its all you want to drink. Really.
    Indeed. I grew up practically without sodas and never developed a taste for them. I do enjoy the occasional juice or alcoholic drink, and very little coffee, but I have found that nothing quenches my thirst unless it is water. When I drink a sweet drink I usually have to take a glass of water afterwards to cleanse my palate.