• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's)

I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me.

They both worked their asses off and put themselves through college in their 40's. With lots of hard work and a substantial dose of good luck they eventually landed careers which turned into better opptys and so forth.

Fast forward 23 years and my folks are very well off now.... Actually very very well off now but they still "think" poor which drives me up a wall, especially when they come to our place and snoop around in my closet area. The conversations that get started about a particular piece of clothing is NOT fun.

anyway, American dream in its finest form (IMO) and accordingly, we love this country like only immigrants can.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did your parents study?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, but I spent a year living with a friend and his family: they weren't **** poor but nothing ever got fixed or worked right around there - always scrounging for whatever around that house. I didn't mind it, but I suspect that was because My time with them had a definite end date. Said friend, BTW, has done okay for himself as far as earnings go but is utterly and completely foolish with his money.

Now - our foster son - he has been **** poor.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
What did your parents study?

laugh.gif
that's another story in itself. Ironically, my mom did graphic design ie "starving student for life" but see the part about dose of good luck
smile.gif

about 12 years ago, she started a small GD firm in SF which turned out to be pretty successful.

My dad grad. in hotel mgmt and eventually got into the restaurant biz.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I'm **** poor.

I've been drinking Tanqueray in lieu of Hendrick's.
frown.gif

Me too. I've moved to the cheap end of the top shelf
musicboohoo[1].gif

Times are tight.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's) I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me. They both worked their asses off and put themselves through college in their 40's. With lots of hard work and a substantial dose of good luck they eventually landed careers which turned into better opptys and so forth. Fast forward 23 years and my folks are very well off now.... Actually very very well off now but they still "think" poor which drives me up a wall, especially when they come to our place and snoop around in my closet area. The conversations that get started about a particular piece of clothing is NOT fun. anyway, American dream in its finest form (IMO) and accordingly, we love this country like only immigrants can.
Inspirational story.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's)

I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me.

They both worked their asses off and put themselves through college in their 40's. With lots of hard work and a substantial dose of good luck they eventually landed careers which turned into better opptys and so forth.

Fast forward 23 years and my folks are very well off now.... Actually very very well off now but they still "think" poor which drives me up a wall, especially when they come to our place and snoop around in my closet area. The conversations that get started about a particular piece of clothing is NOT fun.

anyway, American dream in its finest form (IMO) and accordingly, we love this country like only immigrants can.

Thats awesome. I agree that there is a unique perspective to this country that only immigrants have.

And I think telling them is good. While they may seem like sob stories, I bet your parents don't look at it like that. It is a success story. We should be reminded more often of values like this.

Your story is similar to my pops story. When he first came here with his mother they lived in the back of a weinershnitzl until another immigrating relative got a job and a place to stay. It took his father 7 years to get a visa because the gov thought he was communist. Never had a home of their own. My pops washed dishes from the age of 12 to help pay bills and took a year off between HS and college to work full time. When he did go to college he declined better scholarships to stay close to home and continue to work and pay bills. The school he did accept a scholarship to was coincidentally the place his father worked as a janitor.

Needless to say, my pops sees no value in the clothes I buy.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
I'm 17 and I'm about to go away to college. Reading this thread has really scared me. I'm gonna bust ****** in college(and after).
Originally Posted by Piobaire
put plastic over your windows in the winter
I am a child of a middle class family living in the suburbs and we still do this.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
I'm 17 and I'm about to go away to college. Reading this thread has really scared me. I'm gonna bust ****** in college(and after).

I am a child of a middle class family earning 150k+ a year and we still do this.

I hear there is stimulus money for new windows. Have your parents look into it.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry

You better... or you might end up having to survive on Ramen soups from the 99 cents store like me.
frown.gif

breitlingman

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance.. but what is the purpose of putting plastic over your windows?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breitlingman
Excuse my ignorance.. but what is the purpose of putting plastic over your windows?

Stops cold drafts and lowers heating bills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads