1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone here s**t poor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JammieDodger, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

I am a child of a middle class family living in the suburbs and we still do this.

+1

Slim, your drive is really impressive. Good luck.

+2

2. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Well-Known Member

You better... or you might end up having to survive on Ramen soups from the 99 cents store like me. [​IMG]

that is my nightmare. to graduate college and live alone in an apartment that I can barely pay for with my part time job. Have no furniture, and barely get by on ramen noodles.

3. TheFusilliJerry

Stops cold drafts and lowers heating bills.

to be honest, we only do this on a sliding glass door that covers most of one wall in an extension that is cut off from central heating. we also have one of those plug in heaters for that room, too.

4. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

that is my nightmare. to graduate college and live alone in an apartment that I can barely pay for with my part time job. Have no furniture, and barely get by on ramen noodles.

Suckers, this is why I'm not going to college.[​IMG]

...oh wait.[​IMG]

5. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Well that is currently my life, kid. Do a good job in school, and don't leave home until you can afford a place of your own, or your parents kick you out.

6. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's)

I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me.

They both worked their asses off and put themselves through college in their 40's. With lots of hard work and a substantial dose of good luck they eventually landed careers which turned into better opptys and so forth.

Fast forward 23 years and my folks are very well off now.... Actually very very well off now but they still "think" poor which drives me up a wall, especially when they come to our place and snoop around in my closet area. The conversations that get started about a particular piece of clothing is NOT fun.

anyway, American dream in its finest form (IMO) and accordingly, we love this country like only immigrants can.

A great testament to the American dream!

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Just remember, someone has to be poor so that the big timers have someone to look down on. [​IMG] Without people living check to check, eating ramen, and sleeping on the floor - big timers might start feeling... average. That would obviously be unacceptable.

8. TheFusilliJerry

well, at the very least, thanks for inspiring me to try and work hard enough now so that I don't have to live check to check. Not that I wanted to do that before this, but people sharing their stories is certainly a motivator.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Just remember, someone has to be poor so that the big timers have someone to look down on. [​IMG] Without people living check to check, eating ramen, and sleeping on the floor - big timers might start feeling... average. That would obviously be unacceptable.

Philosophers and plowman
    each must know his part.

Thanks for carrying your weight man!

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Philosophers and plowman
    each must know his part.

Thanks for carrying your weight man!

Who makes more money, philosophers or plowmen?

11. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

well, at the very least, thanks for inspiring me to try and work hard enough now so that I don't have to live check to check. Not that I wanted to do that before this, but people sharing their stories is certainly a motivator.

Remember it is in the moment of your decisions that your destiny is shaped.

12. Kas

Kas Well-Known Member

The philosopher wouldn't care either way.

13. Piobaire

Think YMMV.

14. TyCooN

TyCooN Well-Known Member

Threads like this make me have second thoughts about buying anymoar clothing.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

The philosopher wouldn't care either way.
    Not all philosophers are stoics. Many lead lives of luxury and probably wouldn't have had it any other way.

16. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

I'm shit poor.

been living off $160 (about $110US) a week, which covers everything. $90 on rent, $15 to cover power and internet, manage to spend only $25 on food a week. $30 bus fares. I eat a lot of eggs and potatoes.

17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

there were times growing up when we were extremely poor, ie: couldn't afford the telephone bill, eating off $15 a week or donated food.

as a college student I'm pretty 'poor', but at the same time my food/housing is covered by my tuition, so I have very few expenses that I manage to cover

18. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's) I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me.
    Our story started around 20 years ago. Arrived with absolutely nothing in assets. Family and friends gave us 5 items: a 10 year old Plymouth Colt hatchback, a 19" television, and 3 bicycles. My dad drove the car to deliver pizza while my mom rode bicycle to occupational college. We were also supported by welfare, medicare, and foodstamps. Today my parents own their newly-constructed house outright, as well as all of the vehicles in their household. My 2 sisters are halfway through their PharmD programs, which I partially fund having been in the pro workforce for a few years. There's nothing wrong with and no shame in using government funds for their intended purposes. Last week I bought 1 pair of shoes that cost more than the value of my parent's Colt and their 2 subsequent cars. Had someone told them that in 1990, they probably wouldve suffered a seizure [​IMG]

19. quevola

quevola Well-Known Member

Well, I was already "different" being the only person of Asian descent in school and kids would taunt or tease me for a number of things. One easy one was that I was wearing goodwill clothes, hand me down shoes, had cheap glasses, and brought things like a bowl of beans to school for lunch in a brown bag (that I had to use until it wore out).

I'm sure that if I'd have been comfortably middle class like many of the other kids in that school, they would have teased me about something else. Either way, a person can only take so much taunting/being shoved around/ having your shit stolen or clothes ripped/etc. before he develops a bad attitude.

I was also being beaten at home if that makes any difference. I had an attitude problem.

Ah shit Slim, now I feel horrible about giving you crap about Hasselbeck and the Seahawks. I will from now on root for them (unless they are playing the Cowboys of course).

20. Piobaire

My dad drove the car to deliver pizza while my mom rode bicycle to occupational college. We were also supported by welfare, medicaid, and foodstamps.

FTFY