1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone here about to come to Thailand from the UK?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kiwi Man, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Well-Known Member

I want to buy something from the UK and I don't want to ship the item. Specifically, they are shoes. I have many stories how long things that were sent from overseas to Thailand got myteriously lost. Many speculated that Thailand post office staff are responsible for the missing of the items because they are the people who have been given a full authority to inspect the item. I'm scared and would rather have someone from the UK bring it for me.......

Even though I can ship my item to Thailand via FedEx or UPS, the item will be taxed so heavily. However, if that is my last option, I would have no choice.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

in before this. :eek:

3. Kiwi Man

If I need any drug, I wouldn't need to have them imported from the UK......

Trust me, there is plenty where I'm from.

4. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Just send it insured with full tracking.

5. Kiwi Man

It may be secured at the destination where the items are sent from, in this case, it is London. However, once the item leaves the UK, there is no way that anybody can track the item.

This has happened way too often in my home country.

6. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Sure, if you choose the more expensive shipping.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. curzon

curzon Well-Known Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Why use the post office? Choose an alternate carrier such as UPS, FedEx or DHL. I'm sure one of them delivers to Thailand and does so honestly.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

FYI....when I was in Bangkok in March/April, I met up wth Kiwi Man.....Stand up dude.

9. Kiwi Man

Of course, I could use those services, but all of the items that I get sent from the overseas through their service will be inspected by the custom and these people have the full authority to guess the estimate value of the item and charge 30 percent import tax based on that value. Because my shoes that I'm thinking of buying are Church's, it is possible that I could be charged up to 200 dollars in addition to the cost of the shoes.

They do not care how much you actually pay the item either. THerefore, it is either leave it (getting sent back to the seller) or take it (the outragoues cost of tariff).

Your kind words are HIGHLY appreciated.......

10. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

:lol:

11. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Seems like you have had bad luck. I have sent numerous items back to Bangkok to my family throughout the last 10 or so years and none got lost. Items ranged from Nike, Bape, BBC stuff back in the early 2000s to luxury purses to other weird stuff that are common in the US, but lacking in Thailand. I even sent a play set back and that thing was huge. Some items were taxed, but none were lost. For what it's worth, all were shipped via the U.S. Postal Office.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

The "items getting lost" was just an excuse. In his latest post he disclosed the real nature of his request -- avoiding duties. Nothing wrong with asking for that, I guess, but why the false pretense? Hence the :lol:

13. Kiwi Man

Well, I have never lost anything because I don't usually buy things from overseas. Therefore, this is the first time I am doing this so I did the research on what ways would be best to send thing from the UK and these are the complaints and they are quite alarming. Please keep in mind, it is all written in Thai, so you may need help understanding the issue.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12344249/Q12344249.html
    http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12263737/Q12263737.html
    http://www.pantip.com/cafe/woman/topic/Q12131371/Q12131371.html
    http://topicstock.pantip.com/woman/topicstock/2012/03/Q11774303/Q11774303.html
    http://topicstock.pantip.com/silom/topicstock/2010/06/B9331417/B9331417.html
    http://topicstock.pantip.com/woman/topicstock/2012/02/Q11735122/Q11735122.html

Because I'm "financially concious" and it is not something to be pround of announcing it publicly...... :embar:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  14. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

I'm going next thursday but I am flying from Canada!

15. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

OP, do you know how much value of new products you're allowed to bring in the country by airplane? Not that hoozah (or anyone else) is unintentionally committing tax fraud. It's often something like 300-500€, so esp. in Thailand a pair of new Church's may already be too much.

16. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

how would they know the value? just say you bought for $5 at value market.

17. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

www.google.com

Also, they would be BNIB, which makes it hard to believe that you bought them for $5. And even if you did, they wouldn't believe you in 99.5% of the cases.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  18. Kiwi Man

They charged you 30 percent tax based on the cost of the shoes PLUS shipping. This means if the shoes cost USD650 and the cost of shipping is USD30. I would have to pay USD204 at the custom in order to claim the product. Luxury items here cost a whole lot of money.

Many people have done this, but unsuccessful. Yes, they are BNIB and that would make it impossible to believe that Church's shoes actually worth that much. Sometimes, if they don't know the value, they would simply assume on the cost the shoes on their own head.

19. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Shipping is always included in the taxation. Otherwise they may sell the shoes for 100$ plus 600$ shipping. ;)

So the person who's willing to do it for you may end up being in trouble.

And FWIW, be happy that you don't live in Japan. Some guy in the Meermin thread said it's like 90% (IIRC) duty there.

What you can do is ask the shop to declare a different value on the duty form. If it's a reputable shop they're likely to not do it though. In that case, ask them to write down the wholesale price of the shoe. That is legal.