1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is anybody on Facebook?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dusty, Sep 1, 2006.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

NYway...

I think Facebook is a scam by the college alumni orgs. You have to have a university email address to log on, so when I stopped paying tuition and didn't want to pay some ridiculous fee to keep my email address, I lost my Facebook. Not that I really care, but it makes it useless for keeping in touch with people.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

ANYway...

I think Facebook is a scam by the college alumni orgs. You have to have a university email address to log on, so when I stopped paying tuition and didn't want to pay some ridiculous fee to keep my email address, I lost my Facebook. Not that I really care, but it makes it useless for keeping in touch with people.

Actually I think for security reasons it is good that they require the uni address. That way it can actually work as a facebook, something my college doens't even have (yet another, "oh, let's not infringe on students' privacy" things, the morons).

b

3. j

j Well-Known Member

Actually I think for security reasons it is good that they require the uni address. That way it can actually work as a facebook, something my college doens't even have (yet another, "oh, let's not infringe on students' privacy" things, the morons).

b

I guess it's great while you're in college, or if your school lets you keep your email address. But when you're on your way out and losing track of underclassmen, you're out of luck. You can't even change your account later to a non-uni address.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

I guess it's great while you're in college, or if your school lets you keep your email address. But when you're on your way out and losing track of underclassmen, you're out of luck. You can't even change your account later to a non-uni address.

How about classmates.com? I have used that to keep track of old friends. You can avoid having to join by doing something clever in your "bio" like putting your email address in some sort of won't-get-caught-by-the-filter form.

Me (at) bigcorp (dot) com. That's what I did and it works well enough.

b

5. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I have a Facebook account. I don't really use that stuff anyway.

I am fiscally conservative too, and I love indie rock. I don't quite fit in with the vegetarians and far-left at concerts, but I can deal with it I guess.

6. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

ANYway...

I don't think that's the case. You have to have one to start a profile, but when you become an alumnus, you just change your account's e-mail address to whatever address you currently are using. I don't use my soon-to-expire university address anymore, but my Facebook account is still as active as ever. I recall that they advertised this feature pretty heavily around graduation time this past spring.

7. j

j Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case. You have to have one to start a profile, but when you become an alumnus, you just change your account's e-mail address to whatever address you currently are using. I don't use my soon-to-expire university address anymore, but my Facebook account is still as active as ever. I recall that they advertised this feature pretty heavily around graduation time this past spring.
    All I know is I couldn't log back in and wasn't interested in doing any work to figure it out. A lot of people I know didn't have one or didn't even go to college, so there was no sense trying to maintain such a limited network anyway.

8. minya

minya Well-Known Member

I have a girlfriend, so Facebook isn't of much use to me.

9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

J Are you sure that your school doesn't offer forwarding addresses to alumni? You could use that as a login address(which would also forward any email to your "real" email address) and keep your separate contact email address.

10. j

j Well-Known Member

Yes, they "offered" it but you have to pay for it. I don't really care anyway, it would just mean more spam to sort through.

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member