1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ironing a very wrinkled shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by intent, Oct 12, 2009.

1. intent

intent Well-Known Member

I'm trying to iron this BB cotton shirt, but it's almost impossible to get rid of the little wrinkles everywhere. I usually prefer the non-iron. Should I steam it? Wash it again and hang it quickly?

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

Wash it again and then iron it while it's still damp > hang it up.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Get a spray bottle and mist it as you iron. Works better than steam and is a lot easier than trying to wet the shirt beforehand.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Get a spray bottle and mist it as you iron. Works better than steam and is a lot easier than trying to wet the shirt beforehand.

+1

5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

This. My iron actually has a built-in spray nozzle for misting while you iron.

6. intent

intent Well-Known Member

I'm misting while I iron, but it still seems to be futile. It's not big creases as much as little bumps throughout the surface of the shirt.

Going to try the wash and quickly iron after a few mins in the dryer trick. After that I'm taking it to the cleaners.

I think it's a BB luxury shirt. Feels great when I wear it, but I can't stand the thought of wearing a wrinkled dress shirt.

7. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

I'm misting while I iron

I'm sorry to hear that...

8. Kentishman

Kentishman Well-Known Member

I'm misting while I iron, but it still seems to be futile. It's not big creases as much as little bumps throughout the surface of the shirt.

Going to try the wash and quickly iron after a few mins in the dryer trick. After that I'm taking it to the cleaners.

I think it's a BB luxury shirt. Feels great when I wear it, but I can't stand the thought of wearing a wrinkled dress shirt.

Definitely right to re-wash it, but be extremely careful with the dryer - even a few mins in there could shrink it. I;ve had it happen before, even on the 'ready-to-iron' dryer setting.

9. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

You could try steaming it, I find that they always work out better then an iron.

10. ApplesHK

ApplesHK Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting the shirts in the freezer (inside a plastic bag) for a few minutes. I use this method for difficult shirts and it seems to work.

11. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

Get a fabric steamer those things are like miracle workers.

12. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Get a fabric steamer those things are like miracle workers.

For cotton?

I haven't seen any effect at all from steam on a true 100% cotton shirt

13. intent

intent Well-Known Member

Ditto. It just keeps the wrinkles in place unless I pull on the shirt. If I pull on the shirt some other area gets affected.

Best to pay $2.50 to make it someone else's problem, IMO. There's a place nearby that hand presses shirts and uses no starch.

14. B|aze

B|aze Well-Known Member

Going to try the wash and quickly iron after a few mins in the dryer trick.
    Why would you put it in the dryer? Just iron it after the wash. I do this to all my shirts.

15. Sydguy

Sydguy Well-Known Member

Get them done - washed/pressed you can get 5 done for AUD15.50 same day.

Just check your buttons afterwards, if they are getting a bashing try a different place.

Or if you have quality buttons you should be fine.

16. Star

Star Well-Known Member

I have a few pure cotton shirts of which a couple sound like your shirt. The first thing you need is a decent iron. I have a Sunbeam with sone special non-stick surface which leaves every other iron I use for dead. One of the best investments I have ever made in an electrical appliance. The next thing that will help is steam. Steam away as required.

I would also suggest using a starch spray. My shirtmaker is strongly against starch sprays and I believe others have also commented on this forum. I am however yet to see any damage to my shirts from use.

Finally don't shoot for the perfect ironed shirt. Its a cotton shirt and if its quality, it will look good even with a some wrinkle around the arms and back. The wrinkles I try to get out are the very very fine ones. If you can get them out a little wrinkling once you start wearing the shirt should not be worth sweating over.

May I add that as much as I also like my poly-blends (because they do not wrinkle), nothing beats cotten in the heat for comfort and coolness. I do have some pure cottons that due to their weave are very easy to iron.

Alternatively you could always do as others suggested pay to get them pressed.

I would avoid putting them in a dryer.

17. Icehawk

Icehawk Well-Known Member

I've been ironing my shirts directly from the washer recently with great luck - the heat from the iron will get them 95% dry or better so it's not a problem to put them in the closet when I'm done and since they are pretty damp they self-steam when you are ironing.

18. furo

furo Well-Known Member

Unless you have a heavy duty washer with a super awesome spin cycle, I wouldn't recommend ironing a shirt straight out of the wash. That sounds like a recipe for disastrous shrinkage due to the high heat on a damp shirt.