1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Iranian tourist visa

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Sir Humphrey Appleby, Aug 20, 2011.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

No, i wasn't talking about those sailors. There were some recreational sailors that got picked up in what they claim were international waters. They were released a week or two later.

Anyway, i would be interested in visiting it myself at some point, but with the extremism in that country, I'm not sure how safe i'd feel.

I would caution others about making statements about the safety of a place based on extrapolations from their own experiences. It's meaningless in a statistical sense. Having said that, if there is a strong tourism industry and you stay on the guided path, maybe others' fears are unjustified.

Before i came to colombia i read a lot of similar stories from people proclaiming how safe it was. The reality is different. A lot of people put on rose-colored glasses when they visit a place on vacation. Their good fortune, despite their ignorance, is often just that, and not any indication of overall security. A visit can still be justified, but consider whether the risks are worth it and understand that your outsider's view of risk may be faulty.

To give an example, i didn't know before i got here how hugely under-reported petty crimes and rapes were. Nobody here trusts the police (especially women), however, and most of the time police don't do anything even when crimes are reported, so people don't bother. And yes, someone pointing a gun at your and taking your stuff here would count as a petty crime. The chances are that there would be no investigation and nobody would get arrested. That's a bit scary when some of these guys will just outright shoot you and then rob you. It mostly happens to locals and for that reason doesn't make the BBC. Crime statistics are wrong at best and fraudulent at worst. It didn't take me long to run in to someone whose uncle had been murdered in a cab for his wallet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. abeezy21

abeezy21 Well-Known Member

http://documentaryheaven.com/rageh-inside-iran/

I would love to do a Iran trip myself . I went there about 15 years ago when I was a youngster . Like others said the Govt is shady but the people couldnt be any nicer. My advice would be to go there with someone who speaks farsi or get a guide

3. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

allah, allah, allah, allah.

4. abeezy21

abeezy21 Well-Known Member

Dirka Dirka Jihad Muhammad ?