• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 6

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, because I am a cheap **** and a pleb I am going to wait a few weeks when my contract is up to get it cheaper with a 2 year plan. Woo hoo! Also, I think the iPhone 6 is more on a minor upgrade than the 4 to the 5.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh, well yeah, wait for the upgrade eligibility before dropping $700. My 4S is from November 2011, so I was ripe for an upgrade.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if this is true. GF probably knows because this sounds like something he would know about, but when you get the discount with a contract they actually up your phone bill to pay off the rest over the two year period with an insane amount of interest. Is this true? If so, maybe it makes more sense to pay the $700.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't know if that's true. My monthly bill is $35.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, when you buy a subsidized phone, the carriers charge you for the rest of the cost of the device through your monthly bill. It's hard to know how much of your phone bill is going to the phone vs the service since they don't itemize it like that.

But the end-cost does end up being slightly higher than if you were to have paid in full up front.

I'm on t mobile where they don't have contracts and they separate the phone payment vs service payment each month. They essentially give you a 0% interest free loan for the phone based on the monthly payment they charge.

I just buy my iPhones unlocked and pay the full cost up front.

Did the same for my 5s and paid like 800 bucks in January. I just unlocked it and will list it on eBay. They are fetching around $500 - $600 that way, so I essentially will have paid $200 over the last nine months to use my 5s. It's like a lease for the depreciation.

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm on my inlaws plan, and they have a **** load of rollover minutes, so I'm basically just paying a few bucks for basic minutes and a data plan.

15214156111_a1c941167a.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
how do you really go over? I'm using the phone all the damn time, but I don't play games or use music streaming, so I guess that helps. I've come close to 2 gigs just once (the fappening).

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I will be well under 1gb when I'm not sitting on a train for 2 hours every day.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have t mobiles unlimited plan and stream news on my phone while on the subway so I sometimes hit 8 gb a month or more.

Also stream a lot of music but t mobile doesn't count music streaming against your data plan.

I used to have the 2 gb plan with att and never hit the limit. Never thought I would either but once you're free from any data caps, you begin to find ways to use data.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads