• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
one concern about the MBP Retina - all of the internal parts are basically sealed in and cannot be changed, even the battery.

This has me worried.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

one concern about the MBP Retina - all of the internal parts are basically sealed in and cannot be changed, even the battery.

This has me worried.

This has been the norm for the Air for years and Apple's moving all it's computing products towards this. The 15 inch Retina is also like this. Same goes with it's phones and tablets. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you need a new battery or a part fixed they can take care of it at the store for you.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has been the norm for the Air for years and Apple's moving all it's computing products towards this. The 15 inch Retina is also like this. Same goes with it's phones and tablets. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you need a new battery or a part fixed they can take care of it at the store for you.

Bothers me more because it means I have to pay the ridiculous manufacturer costs associated w/ RAM/HDD upgrades (I say manufacturer as everyone does this, not just Apple, but with other manufacturers I can at least replace the stuff myself).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photoshop performance doesn't depend on the GPU. For PS work, get the fastest CPU with lots of cores, tons of memory (more than the 16 GB that MBPs have), and very fast and large disk arrays. RAID-0 SSDs connected to a fast bus are good choices.

On the other hand, GPUs can help video editing, but not because they're graphical processors. High-end video editors like FCPX and Adobe Premiere can use GPUs as extra computation devices to accelerate video editing by offloading rendering computation to them. Video editing machines are basically tricked-out gaming PCs with very large and fast disk arrays.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Photoshop performance doesn't depend on the GPU. For PS work, get the fastest CPU with lots of cores, tons of memory (more than the 16 GB that MBPs have), and very fast and large disk arrays. RAID-0 SSDs connected to a fast bus are good choices.

My understanding has been that Photoshop can take advantage of a system's GPU for enhanced performance.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html#mercury

Now, I don't use the program nearly as much as I used to so I don't know how important these gains really are. This goes more so for the lower-end discrete GPU's typically included in a laptop and in this you may have a good point on it not being of great benefit here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is true, but actual tests have not shown much, if any, performance gains:

http://macperformanceguide.com/PhotoshopCS5-performance-gpu.html

Maybe things have improved in CS6?

Anyway, the big problem with PS is memory usage, especially with the high megapixel cameras in use today. You're going to run into memory and disk speed limits before computation limits.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LTE is faster than my internet connection at home. I am curious, is it wise to cancel my internet connection and just tether my computer and netflix from my phone? How many GB would I need to subscribe to in order to watch, let's say one HD movie a day approximately?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you'd blow thru your allotment very quickly that way, i do believe.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
time warner cable makes the MTA look like a well mantained force for good.

stickshift

Reaction score

This has me worried.

I wasn't worried because I felt 8 gb of RAM is more than enough for my uses (i.e. Photoshop; no video editing), so it's not like I would upgrade the RAM anyway. The SSD is replaceable, albeit with a proprietary module. The battery is $200 to replace outside of warranty, which isn't a dealbreaker.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

you'd blow thru your allotment very quickly that way, i do believe.

Yup. I tested this on my iPad 3 with LTE. Blew through a gig of data in a week and a half. Did my normal web surfing, light streaming video and occasional tethering to my old Macbook. I was honestly shocked at how fast it was gone as I didn't think anything was that data intensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads