1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

It's entirely the handset manufacture and carrier's fault. They put all the high end tech in the larger phones while using slower processors and older technology in the smaller ones. If you want a phone with the latest/greatest technology and best screens, you almost always have to go for the larger flagship models. Thus "bigger" is "better" for most phone platforms these days, while the smaller ones are marketed towards budget shoppers.

Apple's really the only one making high end "halo" phones that can easily be held with one hand and slip into all but the tightest pockets. Now that may be a factor of the simple fact they don't make a larger phone, but my gut tells me that if they ever do create a 5"+ phone there won't be much difference in the internals between it and the smaller one. Jobs really pushed for the iPhone to remain a device that can easily be held and used with a single hand while he was alive.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Apple needs to come up with some serious improvements on the iphone if i'm to buy a new one. I currently use the 4s, and see no need to go to the 5, or a 5s if it comes out. I'd rather let the guys at the streetcorner put it a new battery for a couple of bucks than shell out several hundred for an incremental upgrade..

I really cant see anything they can add to the iphone that would make me want a new one, I even like the design of the 4/4s better than the 5.

Is the innovation cycle coming to an end?

3. Jr Mouse

If you look at Apple's history it's always been one of innovation followed by continuous improvements over time. Look at the iPod, Macbook Air, iMac, etc. Each was innovative when released, but then fell into a constant tick-tock schedule of product improvements. A constant, but gradual, march. I'm not sure why people expect each new model of the iPhone to be drastically different and innovative over the old one. Apple has made a lot of money over the years doing what they do best.

That's not to say we won't see innovative software and hardware features hit the iPhone over time, but I think it's important to manage expectations. You likely won't ever feel that sense of wow you did when Jobs first unveiled the iPhone 1.

Also nootje, it strikes me that Apple's commitment to providing software updates to older handsets is what has diminished your luster to upgrade. Other then a perhaps couple software features and speed, the iPhone 4S runs the same iOS version that iPhone 5 does. It's a double edge sword for Apple as it can create this feeling that you are not getting much "new" in your upgrades, but one I feel well worth this trade off. It's nice that a handset bought today will get OS updates for years to come.

Keep in mind that iPhone 4S owners where never Apple's target market with the 5. It was iPhone 4 and earlier handset owners. They go off the two year upgrade cycle based off contracts. iPhone 5S will be the one the company will have pinned on you.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I don't know. As far as I can tell, very little is known about this new HTC M4 phone. There aren't any real public announcements from HTC saying what it is, and the estimates for components are pretty good. It loses out in a few spots vs the bigger phones (same for the S4 mini) due to the fact that you just can't fit as many things in a smaller case, but for the most part it sounds like a very solid phone. Much better built and more fully featured than any of the true budget phones. I'm not bothered by a small dip in performance because I don't really care--I don't play crazy 3d games or do things that are super intensive. My original S1 is just now starting to get annoying with slowdowns in features (the ICS update was a huge speed boost overall, but some of the new features that came with it are slow on the old hardware).
    It really seems like the fanbois are eager to paint anything that's not the current flagship model as budget junk...saying things like "its barely higher specs than a galaxy S3" as if that is an insult...The S3 is still a great phone and the S4 isn't even technically released yet and they are complaining that the mini version is budget crap.

All the rumors on the Iphone 6 vs iphone 5s split seem to point toward apple going in the phablet direction (that term is almost as stupid as the trend it represents)...Jobs wouldn't have done it, but his direct influence is long gone.

5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that in america, everything is contract based (Not sure how prevalent contract pricing vs flat out purchasing is in the netherlands).

The iphone 5 on contract was down to $150 all the way back in december at places like radioshack/target/best buy (and there may have been occasional deals that went lower). Still full price at Apple/AT&T, but you can get a better discount from somewhere like, target on most phones that have been out for a few months.

Once the price gets down to $100-$150...upgrading every 2 years is not a big deal...it ends up being a couple of bucks a month. Heck, my company reimburses up to $200 for handset purchases every 2 years...so I could update just because it is slightly faster and comes with a brand new battery.

6. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

It's all contract here. I just cannot imagine the 6 having features I would want. But perhaps I'm not imaginative enough.

7. Jr Mouse

The full size S4 has a faster processor and much higher pixel density screen. Why is it you don't feel these could have been fit into the S4 Mini's case? I assure you, they could have if Samsung had decided to make it so. Fact is it's a perfect example of smaller phones being gimped and sold cheaper to the public. No one here is saying that the average consumer would be bothered by the dip in performance, but it is an issue that you are forced to buy these larger phones if you want the best screens and latest technology.

It's not completely the manufacturer's fault as there has been plenty of talk that the carriers themselves are pushing for this. They want their brand's flagship phones to have the larger screens so they stand out in the store next to the smaller ones.

EDIT: OTC, let me frame it like this. You indicated that you prefer a smaller phone and not a "phablet." Wouldn't you prefer to be able to walk into a carrier store and be able to purchase a 4" to 4.7" Android phone with a manufacturer's latest screen and processor technology instead having to choose a phone of that size with lower "specs."? I suspect the answer is yes and if so, we should be in agreement here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Obviously, yes--I would love to be able to walk in and get the same phone and simply be choosing screen size.

I don't know enough about phone design to know for sure, but I imagine there's got to be an advantage to going bigger and being able to fit more parts. Yeah, you need a bigger battery to power a bigger screen, but things like cameras and memory chips are a fixed size and its easier to fit more stuff in the case if you have more space. Same reason the 11" macbook air is not quite as capable as the 13". Part of this is probably why samsung was able to put out higher specced hardware than apple at the same time...apple stuck to their guns (and is free to tell the carriers to eff off if they want a bigger phone) and kept the smaller form factor.

Your carrier explanation seems very plausible though. That's exactly the kind of crap that a carrier would do (and apple is the only company that can resist). I can also see a desire to not dilute single-model sales by having a model that is clearly the "best" phone in that it is both bigger and better specced.

Personally I am hoping apple continues to stick to their guns and doesn't expand...otherwise we are going to see a repeat of the macbook air reveal where some future Steve Jobs comes out on stage holding what looks like an empty a suit jacket, reaches into the breast pocket, and pulls out *gasp* a phone that fits in a pocket!

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Sums up my opinion right now regarding the iPhone. I have the 4s and am eligible for an upgrade, but don't see where upgrading will make much difference compared to what I currently have.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Apple needs to do a 5inch or 6inch iPhone, they're getting left behind. They could call it iPhone Maxi. which would fit in with their already existing iPad Mini.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Compared to the quality of audio on Android devices in general....uh....yeah, I do.

12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

People with 4s who don't see what the point is in upgrading have never experienced 50 mbps LTE. It's amazing.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Have you got unlimited data, or is just a quicker way to use up your 3GB or whatever fair usage allowance?

Or is it unlimited? - as long as you pay $10 for each 1GB that you use?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

So is anyone actually looking forward to a 5S?

15. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I do have unlimited data grandfathered in from when I first signed up with ATT.

1 person likes this.
  16. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Just make the iPad a phone already. Include a headset/visor for communicating recording and environment augmentation. Tortoiseshell acetate frame, bone conduction audio. Implants are a step up in price point, or for enterprise.

17. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

No proper coverage here for that..

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

They've changed the terms and will throttle your data if you go over 3 gigs/month

19. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Ah that's "Unlimited *" i.e. it's unlimited but there are limits and usage caps. Hard luck if you're streaming and store your music etc, in the clouds.

20. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

I thought about that a while ago. The ipad mini with phone functionality, and a short stylus/pen that would double as a bluetooth headset. I would probably consider that