• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SNL skit this weekend lampooning the tech blogs' reactions to the iPhone 5 was awesome, and awesomely un-PC, too.

Vid or it never happened...........

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SNL skit this weekend lampooning the tech blogs' reactions to the iPhone 5 was awesome, and awesomely un-PC, too.

THANK YOU for the heads up! That was perfect. :lol:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I seriously can't stop laughing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SCUFF-GATE 2012, it's real.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Battery life over the weekend was awesome. I don't use my phone nearly as much on the weekend but went two days and plugged it in with 26% still left.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Updates on all my various issues:

I went to the Apple Store to resolve a series of issues. Made a Genius Bar appointment, it was fantastic. Lol.

- Calendars were acting very wonky. Part of it was user error, for some reason I had too many calendars set up. I'm not sure where some of them came from, but it was annoying the hell out of me. And when I tried to change the color of the calendar in my settings, the iPhone would force change it back. Anyways, I got the most lol-worthy answer from my Genius, who tried to blame the color change on the iPhone on Yahoo. He said Yahoo might not support the color I'd chosen, which is classic "it's not our problem" bullshit I'm used to with these guys. Anyways, once we killed the extraneous calendar though, the colors did just fine... with that same Yahoo calendar. Anyways, bottom line, problem solved.

- Wifi was not working at home. Guy in-store was unable to help me out. Told me to try re-setting the home network, which I had already tried. I got home and tried again, to no avail. However, there is a happy ending to this one; see below.

- iCloud backup was not working, at least partically because I couldn't get on Wifi at home, but also because I was getting a capacity error, which I could not figure out. Dude helped me re-set settings to disable photo backup, which was blowing me over, and helped me understand iCloud a little bit better. Now I have iCloud backups.

- I wanted some clarification on sync between iPhone 4 and 5. (I'm keeping my 4 as an in-home media device and iPod, my wife may have it turned on also and use it as a phone.) My iMac seems to think they're the same device. He gave me some kind of an explanation; I'm not sure I understood it. I haven't tried syncing the phones since, so we'll see.

- 4 app updates on my phone were not recognizing my password and I was unable to reset it to get the apps to update. No matter what settings I had in my phone for the app store, it kept trying to make me download these app updates under a different Apple ID. It's an Apple ID that must be mine because it's so unique, but no password I could have used would be accepted, and when I tried to reset it using e-mail, I didn't get the e-mail, and when I tried to reset it using personal info, it wouldn't accept my birthday. I'm told I must have downloaded those apps under that Apple ID, hence the forced use of it, but why it wouldn't let me reset it was a mystery. So the Genius put me on the phone with someone in Apple ID customer care... and he stated that not only did that Apple ID not show up under my name (they had 2 or 3 under my name, not sure how), it didn't belong to anyone. That ID does not exist at all. So anyways, it was a puzzler to everyone, and they basically said there was no solution. I have to re-download those apps from new under a recognized Apple ID. Fortunately, most of them were free. It may cost me $2-3 to re-buy one or two of them. Really weird.

- I got home and tried re-setting the network, still the iPhone 5 could not get in. It just told me "Unable to connect to network XYZ," not letting me enter a password or take any further action. All other devices in the home (iPhone 4, iPad, 2 laptops, iMac) were all on the network just fine. So anyways, I tried going to a site that they'd shown me at the store (expresslane.apple.com) and asked for a call. What a great service. Just enter your phone # and your problem and request a phone call and within seconds, they call you back. And since it's a new phone, apparently I get 90 days of free support. I got right through to someone very helpful. First he had me run through one thing that did not work (Settings > Wifi > Off and then Settings > Airplane Mode > On, then turn phone off and on again, then Settings > Airplane Mode > Off and then Settings > Wifi > On; he said sometimes that helped things to reset themselves) but then he had me do Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. That did the trick, and I was on fine.

So anyways, most issues now resolved. Big takeaway is that expresslane is awesome and anyone who is having problems should try that before heading to the iStore.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Friend of mine just got his iPhone 5 for Sprint and was complaining about the battery life. It was his first weekend with the handset so I am curious what his opinion will be in the long term. Seems like people are all over the place. Official ratings put it on par with the iPhone 4S which was never as good as the iPhone 4 was even if it still was an industry leader.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Did you talk to any nice hipsters, Douglas?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Douglas, regarding your issues I know Yahoo has had some issues with the iPhone in regards to mail syncing. Apparently they want people to use the Yahoo Mail app instead. Not sure if that's at all related to your cal issues as I have not touched Yahoo in years. It's kind of a crappy service. ;)

Regarding your iPhone 4 & 5, iCloud will sync them both with the same data by default. You have to manually change settings on either handset if you want them to behave otherwise. It's usually not an issue as most people get rid of the old phone once the new one is up and running. Problems start happening with families who share one user master account. I have had to spend time changing the settings on my parent's iPhones and iPads for this exact reason.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friend of mine just got his iPhone 5 for Sprint and was complaining about the battery life. It was his first weekend with the handset so I am curious what his opinion will be in the long term. Seems like people are all over the place. Official ratings put it on par with the iPhone 4S which was never as good as the iPhone 4 was even if it still was an industry leader.

Also on Sprint, also don't love the battery life. I think I quoted an article saying the iPhone 5 tested out almost as well as the Motorola RAZR Maxx in real world battery life; in my experience, it's not even close (but I am comparing iPhone 5 on Sprint to RAZR on VZW).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads