1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Remember the leap in design improvement they made from the iphone 3g/3gs form factor to the 4/4s?

That + what you just mentioned = the apple innovation everyone's hoping for, and to a certain extent, expecting.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Keeping up with what your competitors have had since last year?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  3. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

And there's no reason to believe that once we see the final product this fall it will indeed be a leap in design.

4. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

What exactly are you referencing? LTE? That only started popping up in the end of last year on smartphones and really just now is becoming something I would call standard on all smartphones. We'll be getting an LTE iPhone this fall. Pretty silly to gripe something that is inevitable in a few months.

5. GreenFrog

Well, based on rumors and pics that have been circulating lately, the new iphone is the exact same design as the iPhone 4s, except taller. IF all they do is add 4g, a bigger screen, and better battery, I'll be sorely disappointed. It shouldn't have taken them that long to release something so boring.

6. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Boring? What are you looking for? A wider screen?

I think we disagree that the next iPhone will be boring based on what we are getting this fall. You forgot to mention that it will most likely be slimmer too. So we are looking at a larger screen, LTE, a faster processor, a superior camera, potentially a better battery (or at least on par with the 4S), and a thinner device. Not sure what more you could want other than a screen larger than 4" that is also wider.

If by 'same design' you mean a physical home button and nothing more on the front than yes, I don't think that is changing anytime soon and nor should it in my opinion.

7. GreenFrog

I just don't want it to look like the current iPhone 4/4S' with the glass body and whatnot. It's a beautiful design. But it's boring now.

8. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

If you believe the leaked parts are real, then the backing should indeed be different. But that remains to be seen. Every redesign to date has had a different backing.

The front however will most likely look identical to the current iPhone only slightly taller.

9. GreenFrog

Ah.. I've never seen those pics!

The black version looks kinda weird but the white one looks decent. I thought they were going to release the same exact form factor, except a bit taller.

10. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

If you want to be kept up to date on the rumors, just check out AppleInsider, MacRumors, and 9to5Mac.

This is the rumored back plate. Or at least close to what we are getting this fall. You'll see it's the same width as the current iPhone only taller.

11. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

If you believe these latest pics to be true (and I do) then it's pretty clear what is coming this fall.

I can tell now that the back of the next iPhone and its sides are completely flush. On the iPhone 4/4S there is a slight thickness in this region. No more. Said thickness however apparently remains between the sides and the front of the iPhone. (As it currently does now.) This will of course make the next iPhone thinner.

I know some SF members will gripe that this looks too much like the 4/4S but personally I'm very happy with this being the next iPhone. I simply wanted a larger screen, LTE, and a thinner device. Looks like we are getting all three.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  12. GreenFrog

I think it looks pretty good. It does look just like the iPhone 4, but you're right. All I want is a bigger screen and good battery life in conjunction with 4G. Couldn't care less about thinness, to be honest.

13. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Thinness is a big deal in the smartphone market. Companies love to brag about how thin their smartphones are.

I welcome the iPhone getting thinner. It most likely means a lighter device.

14. GreenFrog

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and it's quite thin.. a bit too thin, perhaps. I think after a certain point, too much thinness makes the phone feel cheap and flimsy.

15. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

The thinner the better IMO.

16. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    At a certain thinness devices like this become awkward to hold and usability suffers. Not that I think Apple is there yet based on these leaked prototype images, but I have to disagree that thinner is always better for phones.

17. GreenFrog

To each, his own.

18. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Personally I have never held or used any smartphone and felt it was too thin. When that day comes I'll say so. Until then I want the iPhone and its competition to get thinner and lighter.

19. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Right, that's what the IMO stands for mate.

20. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member