1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

I can't listen to youtube if I minimize the app, that's bunk.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I think my android phone is the best. I've got it rooted and customized and flashed with a new rom. I've got replacement widgets and apps that work differently than the defaults (including replacements for the most basic apps like the dialer and the photo gallery). It absolutely works better for me than the alternatives I have looked into.

It was time for my mom to get a smartphone this past contract renewal...you know what I thought she should get (and ended up getting)? An iPhone.

3. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

But what does it say about me that I have an iPhone and my mom has a Galaxy S3? :lol:

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Here's a question for our resident Geniuses: sometimes Siri repeats back what I told her to text, make note of, etc., and sometimes she doesn't. What determines this and how do I make her always do it?

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

As someone who had an iPhone 4, then a Galaxy Nexus, and now an iPhone 5, I can safely say that the iPhone 5 is the superior phone (in terms of meeting my INDIVIDUAL needs).

I like how the Android UI is constantly revolving, for the better, I must say, and I hate how stale the iOS UI feels by now. I much prefer the browsing functions in my Nexus' browser over the iPhone's but other than that, the iPhone does everything better, faster, and smoother.

Battery life is the biggest differentiator in my case. I can use my iPhone the entire day and come back at 60% battery life. I'd be struggling with 60% battery life on my Nexus by noon and be experiencing battery anxiety by lunch time.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I can't use my iPhone 4GS more than about 5 hours unplugged before the batt gets perilously low. Is the 5 better in that regard?

7. Piobaire

I will say my battery life has been good.

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

getting my phone in a week, woop.

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Still don't have mine. At this point I'm going to go ahead and just order it online instead of waiting for stock to hit a local store.

10. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

From what I understand a lot of stores are getting new stock the first week of November. You can always order and continue calling local places and cancel the order if a store gets a shipment.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I haven't had an iPhone 4S but I've heard the battery life was shitty compared to the 4, which had AMAZING battery life. So that being said, the 5 definitely has slightly less battery life than the 4, but it's more than acceptable. Whereas I might end the day at 40-60% battery life on the 5, I would have ended with 60-70% on the 4 with similar usage. Thus, I'm deducing that the 5 has better battery life than the 4s, but worse than the 4.

Mind you, I don't stream videos or music or shit. I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but watching videos on a tiny smartphone screen in public is kinda lame. Nothing I want or have to watch is so urgent that I can't just wait to go home to watch it in comfort on a big screen. So that saves me a lot of battery life (and data). All my music is locally stored.

And all in all, my phone is mainly used for texting, browsing, phone calls, and email. I actually don't have any games on my phone either -- mobile games seem boring to me. I can't have fun in any type of game unless some sort of co-operation or competition is going on with another person(s). Single player games bore me to death. So that's that.

12. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

How much do you guys use your phone in a day that you run the battery down so much?

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  14. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Mine is active constantly- My email is sync'd with corporate, plus some other notification and chat tools, plus wi-fi etc... so it's humming quite a lot.
    If I unplug it but don't touch it all day, it will still be dead by evening.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I can usually go two full days no problem.

16. Jr Mouse

What's your brightness set at? Has it always been this way? Even early on when you first got the handset?

This sounds low to me. Much lower then the norm. Maybe your phone's battery is slightly defective or something. Considering the mass quantities of these phones that are cranked out, it's not unreasonable to believe some get bad parts. Maybe take it into the Apple store and explain your case. They can swap these batteries and might do it for free for you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine isn't that bad, but it still not as good as I expected. I just went in and removed a bunch of apps from my notification center, and turned off location services for a few. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

I still have push notifications turned on, and I have brightness set to auto.

18. Piobaire

My usual business day starts about 5:30am and ends about 6-7pm. I use it pretty heavily for emails, calendar, texting and phone. I think using the BT feature while driving burns it up even faster.

19. Jr Mouse

Even with brightness set to auto, you want to change that slider to something between 40 and 60%. I keep mine at 60/65% because I enjoy my screen on the brighter side. The software is designed to work with your manually set brightness levels even when on "auto." This could make a difference.

I believe you can also set how long the screen turns on when you get a notification, but I don't usually micromanage my settings to that point.

Notification center is a great thing, but the constant flashing on and off of the screen has had a negative effect on overall battery life. A lot of speculation centers around the fact that it was why the iPhone 4's battery life got slightly worse when iOS 5 hit last year.

20. Jr Mouse

Speaking of BT and driving, I am having all sorts of issues with Ford SYNC in my new car. It's just not working as advertised. I can stream music over BT alright, but things like loading album information and searching for songs is broken. The "answer" button for calls doesn't always work either and I am having to tap the phone to do it. Been driving me nuts. Need to make an appointment soon to get it looked at. Maybe there is a firmware update or something that I am lacking. It's all very strange as I had heard nothing but wonderful things about SYNC before I got the 'stang.