1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Ok. We were both wrong.

I did some Goggling and found this:

I guess I remembered what I paid incorrectly and the rep didn't explain to me that the price is higher on the newer phone (iPhone 4S was the latest model at the time and I was replacing the 4). For the more recent phone they charge you $199. That means without the insurance you would have to pay $199 for a replacement until the iPhone 5S is released, at that point it would drop down to $149 for your iPhone 5.

Going by these numbers Apple Care Plus is a better deal then I had thought. The thing you would need to keep in mind is that the limit for the $49 replacements is 2. They won't keep replacing your phone after that for the reduced cost. So don't go breaking it on purpose if you believe you are clumsy enough to drop it on occasion.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Dez Bryant bought the Apple Care for his new iPhone.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Seems to be coming from the + button.

Btw, the insurance makes perfect sense for me as my employment contract pays my entire monthly but I provide the handset. In my case I would be stupid not to get the insurance.

4. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Are you sure? My 4s is rattling and it is coming from the power button.

re: insurance

Well in that case get apple care and call it a day.

5. Piobaire

Yup, sure about which button I think it is.

Won't pay for Apple Care. That's not on my monthly Verizon bill. Insurance, however, is.

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Not sure if they offer it for the iphone, but I bought AC for my laptop from LA Computing for about $100 less that Apple offers it. I've used it a few times.

Apple service guys have a lot of leeway when it comes to free or discounted stuff. They gave me a battery for my old laptop that was way past its cycle number. Saved me $90 that I was prepared to spend.

lefty

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

you can save money buying them off ebay or amazon. sometimes though, apple will negate your warranty if you buy it through a non-authorized reseller.

8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I believe LAC guarantees it. I called them up and the guy opened the box and gave me the code. Plugged it in and "welcome to apple care." He then shipped me the box. Not a big extended warranty guy, but for a 2K machine with a lot of "moving" parts it seemed a no brainer.

lefty

9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

I go with no insurance. I have not broken a phone in years. At this point if I do break one I am still ahead of the game from not paying for insurance. I would be more interested in insurance if it covered lost or stolen but since it doesn't then I do not see the need. I could pay for insurance, lose the phone and I am still screwed. I know some people that favor square trade insurance vs. Apple-

http://www.squaretrade.com/iphone-landing24

10. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Are you paying extra for tethering? I have AT & T and I believe you have to pay extra to tether. I am not sure about Verizon.

11. Douglas

I've considered the Apple Care, as I've lost two iPhones.

One in a taxi in NYC, one in a taxi in HK.

The one in HK I got back. Some Irish banker chick took the cab after me, picked up the phone (I was dialing it frantically, repeatedly) and returned it to me the next day.

No such luck in, um, the Big Apple.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Doesn't cost extra with Verizon.

13. patrickBOOTH

Applecare doesn't cover a lost or stolen phone.

14. Douglas

i thought they had a more expensive program that did. anyways, i don't have it either way :)

maybe i'll put one of those fugly cases on. then nobody will want to steal it anyways.

;)

15. patrickBOOTH

Yeah I got the 4 and had to pay full price because I lost it in a limo one drunken night.

16. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    That's what Find My iPhone is for. ;)

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

iMessage:

So, I have unlimited texting on my plan and do not understand the advantages of iMessage (international texting is free)

My co-worker kind of gave me a lecture on why I am not using iMessage as everyone at the company has an iPhone now. I understand the principle behind it but if my contact information on your phone list or vise versa is incorrect, I cannot control the flow of texts that in my experience seem to bounce from iMessage to Text Message repeatedly.

How to fix the latter? Co-worker said it has something to do with my email registration. I think it has something to do with not having the correct phone number that I am using with my iPhone (has my Google Voice # it seems lol).

18. Douglas

My bad. I thought it was so Apple would always know exactly where the fuck I am.

19. Piobaire

I have that. Tested it out and it's pretty cool.

FWIW, Samsung DOES NOT have Find My iPhone. ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

When I got mine the Apple guy asked me if I wanted to activate find my iphone. I asked him why anybody wouldn't. He shrugged and said, some people think it means the man knows where you're going. I laughed. Then I stabbed him.