1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/28/2829143/apple-ipad-3-event-march-7th-official

So this is happening. :nodding:

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I hope this is the case, I've been holding off on buying one for the last 4 months amid speculation that the 3/HD/2S/CashCow was coming out.

If it isn't launched, I will seriously consider just buying an iPDa2 and having done with all teh speculation.

3. Jr Mouse

It is the case... That's an official invite from Apple. The iPad 3 will be announced next week.

If you look at the photo from the link you can tell it's a high res display too, which matches with the speculation for a while that it will have a "Retina Display."

I'm also siding with the rumors that Apple will continue to sell the iPad 2 at a reduced price. Unlike the majority of rumors, I don't think these will be sold at a starting price of $399. My gut tells me Apple will use this as an opportunity to go for the jugular and have the cheapest iPad 2 be sold at $299. Maybe a version with only 8gigs of storage to reduce cost. This would go a long way towards putting the breaks on discounted tablets like the Kindle Fire.

Time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. Imhoff

Imhoff Well-Known Member

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I suppose the alternative would be the launch of a touch-screen MB Air?

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I hope this is true because my current iPad is on it's last leg. I need another asap, but want the iPad 3 or whatever it'll be called.

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

+1

8. Jr Mouse

It's the iPad 3. Rumors have been pointing strongly to this for a while and it's the right time of year for a new tablet launch. Plus that picture, clearly and iPad.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Its the iPad 3 JayJay. I suspect there won't even be much of a wait between the press conference and when you can buy one.

10. Jr Mouse

A week to two weeks tops.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

are you guys going to buy the 4g versions?

i wish i could combine the 4g usage with my current unlimited plan with verizon.. fuck paying an extra $30-$50 a month on top of a phone bill.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

REALLY depends on how they're going to fuck us on the data prices. I suspect there will be a surcharge for 4G usage.

13. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Good news, I'd like to get an iPad 2 if they are cheap enough.

14. Jr Mouse

No one knows for sure if they will have LTE, but the majority of rumors seem to indicate yes. What we do know if that they will have a double resolution "Retina Display" which is what I have been holding out for. The current iPad's pixel density always bothered me. It's a little too low for my taste and I always noticed it when reading. Beyond the display, I'm happy with whatever they do.

I will say if they do LTE, I'll pay for it. If it's just 3G then I am getting the Wi-Fi only version and saving the $130.

15. Jr Mouse

Do the current crops of Android tablets with LTE charge extra for it over 3G access? My understanding is that the tablets dont, just the smartphones.

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

First, I didn't even know there was an Android tablet with 4G. Second, and this sort of gives credence to my first point, is that when the iP3 drops, it will smack the networks with a ton of new customers, so much so that I suspect will see new data charges. Similar to the shit they pulled with the dropping of unlimited data when the iP2 came out.

17. Jr Mouse

There are several Android tablets with LTE, I believe...

I'm thinking they will keep the prices the same since you typically buy these without a contract. Easier for a customer to cut and run if they are not happy with what they pay. We will know soon.

What I would like to see them move away from is charging a $130 upfront for the radio. That always struck me as a hefty premium and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual costs to Apple are far lower.

EDIT: A single iPad model with a chipset in it capable of Wi-Fi, 3G AND LTE across all networks would be killer. Similar to the chip they use in the iPhone 4S, but with 4G added. No longer make the customer choose at purchase.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  18. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Can you cancel 3g/4g anytime? I assume you can since there is no contract. So that makes getting a 3g/4g tempting in the event I go on a trip and do not want to deal with finding wi-fi access. I currently have the original iPad and my wife has the iPad 2 and both are wi-fi models.

iPad 2 is on sale now everywhere. Not sure what you think is cheap but I have seen them $50-$100 off at various places around town. You may get them cheaper off of ebay but still a good deal for a brand new iPad.

19. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Saw this last night. This would be awesome. Warning: watching this will almost assuredly ruin the actual release announcement and lead to total disappointment once you see the iPad's real features..

20. Jr Mouse

No contract so you can cancel at anytime.