• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 2.0

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Interesting. What do you do with it in the classroom?

+1 I'm wondering the same. Are you a teacher or a student?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

accopy

Reaction score
In fact, Smart Covers have three weak points as for marketing: the prices of 69 and 39 are a little bit too high; they do not protect the back of iPad 2; and their strong points are not non-replicable. Im not supprised that some merchants are already aware of this.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Electronic text books.
Ah. But wouldn't all the kids need to have iPads then? I was under the assumption he was discussing some sort of gradebook or presentation software for his own personal use.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Ah. But wouldn't all the kids need to have iPads then? I was under the assumption he was discussing some sort of gradebook or presentation software for his own personal use.
Indeed all the students would have to have iPads. In my classes of 60+ students, that's a lot of iPads. Paper textbooks are much cheaper. I know a couple of teachers who use iPads to present ESL materials to small groups of 3 or 4 students. But in a large classroom, I think the iPad could possibly be used for administration, attendance and grading uses. I use a Linux netbook in my classrooms, plugged into a projector to show the students materials. I could not use an iPad for anything though, due to it been locked into iTunes.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
Indeed all the students would have to have iPads. In my classes of 60+ students, that's a lot of iPads. Paper textbooks are much cheaper.

I know a couple of teachers who use iPads to present ESL materials to small groups of 3 or 4 students. But in a large classroom, I think the iPad could possibly be used for administration, attendance and grading uses.

I use a Linux netbook in my classrooms, plugged into a projector to show the students materials. I could not use an iPad for anything though, due to it been locked into iTunes.

There is actually a power point type app for the Ipad. Theoretically 1 ipad would replace all the books the students carry. But, we are not there yet.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
There is actually a power point type app for the Ipad. Theoretically 1 ipad would replace all the books the students carry. But, we are not there yet.
I have heard that some US schools loan their students laptops or Macbooks, which remain school property. that they use for classes and homework. I'm sure iPads could be very effective in this scenario, and probably a good deal less burdensome for school IT than if they loaned the students Windows laptops. I teach English in a Mongolian middle school. In this school most of the textbooks the students use are in Mongolian. Unfortunately Apple's support for Mongolian is almost non-existant, it's somewhat better in Linux. Windows is the only OS which supports Mongolian completely. I only use Linux for my work, because I teach English. BTW there are two sorts of Mongolian: Mongolian Cyrillic which Apple does support, as used in the Republic of Mongolia(Outer Mongolia), and Mongolian script(which is written vertically), as used in Inner Mongolia, China, where I am. It's Mongolian script that Apple does not support.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
^ I guess i was basing my opinions on USA. I dont know how tech is in Mongolia, I imagine its not on the level of japan, china, usa, is that safe to assume? how is it tech wise? just curious...

The level of tech in Chinese and Mongolian schools can be very varied indeed. Some schools are extremely poor, they might be lucky just to have blackboards, chalk and electricity.

Fortunately my school has quite a high level of tech. Every classroom has a ceiling mounted DLP projector and screen, many teachers use their own school subsidised laptops in classes. The students use a huge amount of textbooks though. In fact it still disturbs me the amount of dead tree textbooks they carry here, compared when I went to school in the UK.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered one today on-line from Apple, they said 3 weeks. Will check at the local store but there is a line every ******* morning and they get irregular inventory. If I can get one sooner I will cancel the on-line order.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
The level of tech in Chinese and Mongolian schools can be very varied indeed. Some schools are extremely poor, they might be lucky just to have blackboards, chalk and electricity.

Fortunately my school has quite a high level of tech. Every classroom has a ceiling mounted DLP projector and screen, many teachers use their own school subsidised laptops in classes. The students use a huge amount of textbooks though. In fact it still disturbs me the amount of dead tree textbooks they carry here, compared when I went to school in the UK.

yea i see the world changing over to digital textbooks eventually, but staring at tablet or laptop screen all day is a bit hazardous for the eyes, maybe kindle with pics should come first

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Ordered one today on-line from Apple, they said 3 weeks. Will check at the local store but there is a line every ******* morning and they get irregular inventory. If I can get one sooner I will cancel the on-line order.

try radioshack and bestbuy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads