• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investing in my first dress shoes after my first charcoal suit..need help. thanks

maikal00112

Reaction score
Hello, First of all, thanks for taking some time to read this.
I just got my first charcoal suit, which i will be wearing to wedding, interviews, and to a new job (hopefully consulting). I'm thinking about investing in a good dress shoes. I like AE park Avenue cap toe, but I'm stuck on color.

Should I go with burnished Merlot, like here http://www.englinsfinefootwear.com/...m=5875-11.5D&gclid=CND49fvJpcgCFQ6CaQod-oQBPA

Or Stick with classic black? my next suit will be navy, if i need it (depending on the job and career I might take). Currently I have a bachelors in biology and working on some my own entrepreneurial projects.

On casual side, I have dockers open lacing derby in BLAck (mid condition), and the rest are athletic shoes.

can you wear burnished Merlot to interviews and work with a charcoal suit?

which shoe should I invest in first?

any other recommendations?

thanks

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been working in the past for one of the big three strategy consulting firms in the US and interviewed a few dozen people for them. Contrary to popular believe, your outfit will hardly been taken in consideration as long as you wear some kind of suit with some kind of dress shoes and a tie. It is purely based on the impression you make when answering the interview questions and in particular how well to solve the business cases. At least in the US, management consultants are usually not among the best dressed professionals ... things are a bit different in Europe, but I assume you are based in North America since you posted a link to Englin's Footwear, which appears to be a U.S. retailer.

This being said I still would go with a classic black oxford dress shoe for your charcoal suit - you might at some point discover your passion for a more conservative industry and it just happens to be the most formal choice. Allen Edmonds is probably the lowest price point for which you can get GY welted shoes in the U.S. and a decent choice. The Park Avenue would be the most conservative option, but a black Fifth Avenue or a black Strand would also be fine in most situations (exceptions being some law firms, but without a law degree I guess this would be a far shot in any case).

Good luck with your interviews and your other endeavors!

maikal00112

Reaction score
thank you both
I decided to get two pairs of Allen Edmonds, One black park avenue, and McAllister in Merlot.

billythekid

Reaction score
As nice, formal, and traditional as park aves are--have you looked at Leeds perhaps? Or a few others that perhaps you could wear very nicely with jeans? Allen Edmonds makes a few models that really are versatile enough wear with a suit, yet dress up slacks or jeans as well. Those park aves are going to sit in your closet, especially if they mainly pair with your first suit.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with having a very nice pair of formal black shoes that spend most of their time in the closet waiting for special occasions that demand clean, crisp, perfectly mamicured shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads