1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Inverallan

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by edubs01, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Scots like cold palms?

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

what? it is exact people just don't know how to size actual sized garments and the 1A runs larger than others as it's intended to be a looser fit

3. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I assume there is some amount of buyer error. But if someone tells a handknit sweater company "I'm 5'11 with a 38" chest, 32" waist, and long arms, and I want it medium fit", the final product should be right on the money. I think most people in this round feel the sweaters they bought are a touch short in body and arms, and maybe a little tight.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

These aren't MTM knits. They're MTO.

5. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

I'm aware of this. Most just look small, is all. If I had exchanged emails with a company, I'd expect the final product to fit like I wanted. Certainly not a size too small. Then again, I like slouchier sweaters, so I'm probably biased.

The sweaters are fucking gorgeous. But anybody wondering if they should have sized up already knows the answer.

6. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

Actually the reason I posted was specifically to let people know that they seem to be TTS. Sizing up may have given me longer sleeves but would have been too big everywhere else. I also just got a Johnson's of Elgin in a 44 and it is way tighter than the inverallan.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

i sized up on my 6a. there's something about these when they're worn tts that looks... prim, stiff?

anyway, still wondering about the length tho. we'll see when i pick it up over the break.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  8. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

The material is thicker than any sweater I have personaly handled - maybe the sheer bulk gives it the stiffness you refer to. It definitely does not drape like my thinner V-necks.

9. Muey

Muey Well-Known Member

Yeah, these things weigh like 2-3 pounds and are way thicker than what you can expect of your usual cardigan. They are bulky and will by nature not drape/flow as smoothly as a lighter garment.

10. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

Wishing I'd thought of the possibility of asking for longer sleeves / body, but only because I'm 6ft 3in. If I were a regular height I think they would be fine, and even now it's not a big problem (unlike say Barbour where their jackets are always too short in the sleeves).

I'm on the slim side of a 38 suit, but sized up to a 40 because a 38 was skintight. Even if it gives a bit with wear it'll not be too big.

The sheer weight / bulk / structure is much of the appeal - I have a couple of (still chunky) looser-knit shawl collar cardigans and a cashmere one, and this is more like outwear than the rest of them. Nice to have options, and great for layering.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

A few things, I was asked which tag I wanted, original "Inverallan" or new "Strathtay". Opted for the former but got the latter

Laghey dongeal is excellent. Gray-brown hue with flecks of white and orange

I wish the shawl was longer/grander

Three button/belt is more novel than utility.

Sleeves fit ace, body length is good

Wish body was a 42 because the width will need to be stretched, BUT because there is only three buttons and the belt is very static right now, it will be hard

Most likely wear it open. When you receive your knit, it is very "dead" and not lively at all due to the thickness and coarseness of the wool. This knit is meant to be worn to death.. :foo:

Photos will be up later.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  12. gettoasty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think chunky knits are my friend and helps with the proportion with my shoulders to hips. the length doesn't hurt too, in this case though it can give me an hour glass figure. love your own curves :embar:

i would describe the main color as lead

6 people like this.
  13. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

the fit looks good, but the detailing looks a little wonky to me - pockets should either be lower or not there at all, and wish it had more buttons.

14. gettoasty

^HAHA yeah

I had no idea what I was doing when I gave the specs

it is warm so that is good, but i think this is just a novel item to keep

if i had a second chance at this, it would be perfect the 2nd time around. FWIW pockets are handy for my keys/wallet, and there is actually 3 buttons. it is like a 3-roll-2 jacket lulz.. there is an extra button that i can perhaps get knitted on for aesthetic purposes but for now i'll just wear as is. a 1-off piece!

15. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

That is really nice, GT.

You had to special order to get the robe length? A one-off?

Would like to get my hands on one in Muff or one of the charcoals, no buttons.

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

i would have changed a few things but the donegal is superb

17. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Well-Known Member

nice looking piece, toasty. is that single or double donegal?

18. gettoasty

19. Bingham

Bingham Well-Known Member

so i was ordered the 6a cardigan for Christmas from End Clothing and apparently the credit card did not process correctly and I was not notified of this for over a week and a half (at which point my size and color was sold out). Needless to say, I was pretty bummed.

how often do End Clothing and Mandon restock the sweaters? i really really want one for the winter months.

20. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

that sucks man. I couldn't say about mandon, but i'm sure if you shoot them an email they'll get back soon enough.

so I got bored of trying to picture exactly what this crolly blue actually looks like without light interference and I came across this dude in a vest.

[​IMG]