1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Introducing Sizeadvisor.com: Find shoes that fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Kazou

Kazou Well-Known Member

Great Idea Claus. Would help me from searching threads after threads about shoe sizes. :p
    Count me in to help!

2. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Thanks, to both of you! [​IMG]

Again, I still need a few more days before invitations are sent out but I'm already trying to clean things up a bit.

3. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Short info: I've sent out the invitations today.

If you didn't get an e-mail although you've registered, check your spam folder. If it's not there, sent me a PM here or use the contact form. The same holds if you have problems to register.

For posting problems, questions, or feature requests, I've set up a small feedback forum at Sizeadvisor. The first bug was already fixed. [​IMG]

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

If you're interested in the larger end of the scale UK 11 - 11.5 drop me a PM.

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

Also, people have different standards for what counts as a well-fitting shoe. Some people like roomy shoes, others like a tighter fit.

6. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

If you're interested in the larger end of the scale UK 11 - 11.5 drop me a PM.

Thanks, will do.

@radicaldog: I thought about this as well and I believe there's a way to take such preferences into account, one day.

7. Dexx

Dexx Well-Known Member

Super Idee! Viel Erfolg damit! Ich kann mir locker ein start up vorstellen, wenn die Hersteller Werbung bei dir schalten. Bin btw 41,5 EU, habe aber noch nicht so viel Erfahrung mit den verschiedenen Schuhen, leider!

8. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Short status update: Everything seems to run fine so far, apart from some smaller bugs. An annoying one was that frontpage showed the oldest ratings, instead of the latest. [​IMG] This is fixed now. As one can see, we're slowly building up speed. There're already ratings for (UK) 6.5 and (US) 9.5 sizes. I figure these guys probably would like others who wear similar sizes to join the site. So I post a public invitation code here as a test. If you consider yourself a (UK) 6.5 or a (US) 9.5, and you're willing to share your fitting experience with your fellows, please use megan as an invitation code. It works 25 times and expires Friday. Contact me if you run into problems.

9. Icehawk

Icehawk Well-Known Member

I added my measurements - had no idea just how differently size my two feet were!

Would really like to see more shoe brands listed, I don't own any in the list and have only tried a single shoe that is listed. How about adding the popular brands carried by NM, Saks, etc?

Here are brands I have good fitment notes on:

Gucci, Prada, Tod's, Ferragamo, DJ Pliner, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Too Boot and about a half dozen others (LV, Bally, etc).

10. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

How about adding the popular brands carried by NM, Saks, etc?

Hey, thanks for participating! [​IMG]

Concerning your suggestion: I have no information about the lasts these brands use. I guess, most buyers have no information either. (Well, except Ferragamo and Bally, maybe.)

If it turns out that people find all the stuff about lasts too complicated, I'll drop that. Then, I can support all of these. And also the more popular sneaker brands.

Right now, I'd like to try with last information. But if it turns out you are right, I'll add these brands and many more.

11. Icehawk

Icehawk Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for participating! [​IMG]

Concerning your suggestion: I have no information about the lasts these brands use. I guess, most buyers have no information either. (Well, except Ferragamo and Bally, maybe.)

Right now, I'd like to try with last information. But if it turns out you are right, I'll add these brands and many more.

Can you make it optional so we can use your system for all types? Even the one pair of AEs I tried I didn't think to check the last # - I could be wrong but I think it's only SFers that even know what a last is [​IMG]

12. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Can you make it optional so we can use your system for all types?

Yes, no problem. (Well, I'd need a week or two.)

That would, of course, mean that all shoes from a certain brand are treated the same, if there's no last information. Would you like to get a recommendation for, say, any Allen Edmonds in US9.5-D, last 'Unknown'?

I have problems to see that this would help you spend less time on finding a fitting shoe. Maybe I'm just being used to my kind of thinking. [​IMG] Sorry, I'm just trying to understand it.

Maybe, other members can comment on this, too?

13. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Opening it up without last info is a bad idea. People that come to your site and then own one of the brands listed should be expected to have a decent idea of lasts.

One workaround is to tie the model to the last...e.g. someone can pick either the C&J Hallam or a C&J 348. While this obviously won't work for the MTO shoes, it would make it easier... particularly for brands like AE.

Also if you can include a rudimentary price guide or recommendations based on fit and provide an affiliate link to certain stores, that could be a nice way to make ad revenue.

Great idea in general though.

14. ls1dreams

ls1dreams Well-Known Member

I considered making a site like this myself.

One thing that I think would actually be more useful would be matching up shoes that people already own.

For example, I'm a 9.5 in most Allen Edmonds and a 10 in most Rockports.
    You could set up a matching matrix with all shoes/models and run some kind of algorithm to find out which shoes usually fit people.

The measurements just aren't going to be precise enough IMO.

Also, while the site itself probably would not make much money, it could be monetized by:

1. selling some ad space (minimal money)
    2. later selling it to an online shoe retailer like zappos.com or anyone with free shipping. It could save a company like that hundreds of thousands in return shipping costs. If you build this site out you might want to think about associating serial numbers from a few of the big shops in case you want to do this later and therefore avoid a big project of matching up items later.

15. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Opening it up without last info is a bad idea. People that come to your site and then own one of the brands listed should be expected to have a decent idea of lasts.

Yeah, I think so, too. However, Icehawk has a point. I plan to rework the ratings form in the next week, so that last information is optional and will be added automatically. After all, the information is already in the database.

Also if you can include a rudimentary price guide or recommendations based on fit and provide an affiliate link to certain stores, that could be a nice way to make ad revenue.

That's a nice idea! I always wanted to provide images for the shoes, but I was worried about the traffic (and the copyright problems). But affiliates providing the images may solve that. [​IMG]

16. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

You could set up a matching matrix with all shoes/models and run some kind of algorithm to find out which shoes usually fit people.

The measurements just aren't going to be precise enough IMO.

I see want you mean... The matrix approach was also my first though.

But the measurement approach is also more precise in the long run: The basic idea is to imaging shoes looking for 'fitting' people, instead of people looking for fitting shoes. So, let's say a shoe "tests" one hundred feet: While there will be a large variation in the measurements, the average is a good estimate for the ideal foot for these shoes.

This way, the system can account for all kinds of systematic biases. For example, wrong measurements, fit preferences (looser vs. tighter fit), people wearing orthotics, shoe styles being different (Oxford vs. Derby vs. Chukka, etc.), leather being different (Shell vs. Calf), and lots of other things.

But you're right: I should add the matrix approach for non-members.

2. later selling it to an online shoe retailer like zappos.com or anyone with free shipping.

Yeah, that would be cool! [​IMG]

However, this is not rocket science. It's just a new approach to an old problem. As soon as one of the large online retailers gets the idea, it will take them one month to implement it themselves, I'd say. One already collects fit ratings (called "Fits true to size").

If that happens, I'll add an export function, so everybody can move his data.

17. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

This site is great! I just signed up. I'll be able to get my measurements as soon as I get home. (Nobody at the office has a cloth measuring tape. What's up with that???)

- Keith

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think you should have an option of sorting reccomendations by what type of shoe (i.e. Oxford, Derby, Loafer...) because the only shoe I got a reccomendation for was a loafer, which is not much help considering I wouldn't wear a loafer if you paid me. Also, some option of what part of the measaurement are you willing to give it more leeway with, such as willing to go narrower in the ball, or tighter instep and such.

19. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Cool idea.

Also, I can't believe Ed hasn't commented on the "Ball Girth" measurement yet.

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

^^ That might just be due to limited data at this point.