1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Why are >50% of the posts in here from people who still have one total post, even one year after submitting the post? Why even introduce yourself in the first place? Not to say that you shouldn't, but think about the necessity.

Anyway, some fun posts in the first couple pages.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. b-blanco

b-blanco New Member

What's going on new here just saying what's up.

3. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

4. komplex

komplex Member

5. AcademicDandy

AcademicDandy New Member

AcademicDandy here.

As the name implies, I am an academic, currently "professing" at a regional State University. Married to a beautiful and lovely woman, no kids (yet).

My typical weekly work attire includes a slim fit or tailored fit button-down non-iron plain shirt (white or light blue), and a deconstructed suit (sports coat + matched dress pants).

Weekends are for jeans, sports-shirts and V-neck sweaters / cardigans.

I'll admit that I am a big fan of JAB (big bargain hunter) for work clothes. BB and BR for casual attire. Shoes: A. Testoni and AE (dream of owning a pair of bespoke Berluti sometime).

I (almost) never buy retail.

6. kewah

kewah Member

Hi!
    Total newbie here, looking to update my wardrobe and actually dress like the 30 year old man that I am. I work in IT where the dress code is quite casual but I always feel like I'm underdressing so it's about time I do something about it. Looking forward to some inspirational posts and pointers!

7. drpablo

drpablo Member

HI my name is Pablo, im from Marbella, Spain, i arrived here from a Spanish style forum.
    Im here to learn and i hope to have good moments here.

8. AXEWOUNDFISTER1

AXEWOUNDFISTER1 New Member

im b, work in the ski snowboard industry. i have clothing and sneaker addiction. :p

9. TorontoJK

TorontoJK Member

Hi SF - I'm a 37 year old, working in the financial district here in Toronto. I run a private equity fund that focuses on SME businesses located in and around Toronto. I'm married with one kid (and another coming in December). I typically wear a suit 4 days a week, and on Fridays I usually wear a blazer with denim (black or grey) or in summer something lighter. I always thought of myself as better-dressed then most of my friends, but after only a couple of weeks on SF I am realizing that perhaps I've spent a lot of money on suits from brands like Hugo Boss that I could have earmarked for better-constructed, lower or similarly priced brands. Also, I never knew there were such rules for wearing a pocket-square!

I love feeling like I'm well put together, without looking overtly trendy or fashion-forward. To me, good style means looking current without departing too drastically from what classic men's fashion would dictate.

Unfortunately, I'm looking on SF and realizing that I have a lot of learning to do!

Looking forward to being educated - now, can anyone point me to a thread that gives me a Shoe 101? I'm in the market for a couple of pairs of lace-ups and don't want to waste money on a name brand when I could be spending the same dollars on a better-made shoe.

10. Desiredname

Desiredname New Member

Hi,

I'm a student from Texas and I've recently become interested in looking better and I'm pretty obsessed about having my clothes fit properly. For starters, I'm on a quest to find the best possible t-shirt for my frame, which seems to be shirts from Everlane (so far). Next I'm looking to find a great pair of raw/selvage denim jeans.

11. madeinman

madeinman Member

Good Morning all, from a Pacific Time Location. I joined the Styleforum Website just yesterday. I have known about style forum for over a year now, but never got around to join it. I have found great post here and members here truly are knowledgeable. I hope to learn more and post some interesting threads here. - Mario.

12. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

Hi I'm Itsuo,

I'm a young professional in DC but originally from Hawaii.

I'm pretty straight forward when it comes to dress. I've usually got on a pair of Alden's suede LSH or chukkas in the summer and short wings or indys in the fall and winter. Most of my shirts are from atailoredsuit.com and I've honestly had them for years and couldn't be more pleased. I'm also a fan of incotex trousers so I alternate between the very few I have of those. Finally I have family that works for a company in Japan called Sartoria Promessa, so I have a variety of jackets from them.

That's really the long and the short of it. I basically live by the principle of having few things so that you can afford higher quality longer lasting things.

Aloha

13. filmguy

filmguy New Member

Hey everybody,

I'm a recent college graduate looking to start a career in the entertainment industry. I recently found a passion for nice suits while searching for my first "real" suit (I'm still looking for it). This forum has been a great education so far, so I'm here to get involved and learn more.

14. Triangle Walks

Triangle Walks Member

Hello everybody.

I'm Triangle Walks, a swede who just graduated from university and started working, which means I'm finally able to afford buying the clothes I want to. Problem is, ideally I'd want to wear business suits but my line of work would make that very weird. So I'm coming here for some inspiration, and to learn, I basically don't know anything about how to dress and there are a lot of basics that I haven't got yet. I will try to learn as much as I can from the experienced and stylish members here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  15. CCEsq

CCEsq New Member

Hi everybody,
    My name is Chris and I'm an attorney. I stumbled on this site while looking to basically replace most of my wardrobe. My clothes are kind of pathetic when I'm not wearing a suit and was just looking for ideas in improving it.

16. 11B1P

11B1P New Member

Hello, just joined Style Forum after a long time of "guest browsing" the site. I enjoy jumping out of planes, vintage dive watches, and Aldens! What else do you wanna know?! [​IMG]

17. 11B1P

11B1P New Member

Hello, just joined Style Forum after a long time of "guest browsing" the site. I enjoy jumping out of perfectly good aircraft, vintage dive watches, and Aldens! What else do you wanna know?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  18. Cabana Boy

Cabana Boy Active Member

Hello everyone,

I am a 53 years old with 2 grown daughters, married 28 years. Always cared about my appearance but braces, tuition and weddings dug fairly deep into my pocketbook. I am interested in slowly replacing my entire wardrobe. I do not want inferior quality, ill fit clothes any longer. I want to restock with quality garments that fit me to perfection. At this stage, I want to replace my shoe wardrobe with some higher end classic shoes, purchase some quality made, well fit shirts and have a few suits custom made. I would like to do it in a logical, progressive manner so I can match things along the way. I am really not even sure where to start so any and all suggestions are welcomed.

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Hello,

I finally decided to join after almost a year of consistently browsing, searching, and studying all the information on the forum. About a year ago I realized I was tired of the clothing rut I have been stuck in for over a decade... Poorly fitting clothing like polos in the summer with khaki/navy shorts, plaid button-ups with chinos or jeans in the winter, $100.00 shoes to wear every day until they are trashed and thrown away after about a year. I work in an extremely laid back environment, so button-ups and chinos are still my go to, but I have enjoyed learning about how to improve their quality and fit as well as diversifying into many different colors outside of the typical department store average joe stuff. Shoes have become my obsession though. I have a serious practical bone given my early career/young family status, so the best quality:money ratio has been what I have been after. I love watching nice things age and can't wait to see how the stuff I am now building into my wardrobe will look a decade from now!

20. JeromeLove

JeromeLove New Member

Hello There,

I'm Jerome, I live in Oakland CA and am married to the girl of my dreams. I'm a photographer for the Brooklyn Circus SF and a sales rep for Stance socks.

I'm practically in jeans everyday, dark and raw. Huge fan of Raleigh, WWM, BKc, PF Flyers, Taylor Stitch and Band of Outsiders.

I've especially been on a pocket square kick lately.