1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jtwilcox

jtwilcox Member

Hi everybody. Another new guy here. I'm a 28 year old freelance graphic designer and illustrator in the Detroit area. Since I work from home, I don't often need to worry about how I dress. But I am interested in classic menswear and slowly building a wardrobe of quality pieces, for when I do need/want to dress thoughtfully. I originally found Styleforum because of the thrift/discount bragging thread and have been keeping an eye on all of that stuff.

2. redstyle

redstyle Member

Hi all! New to the forum...

3. anyjay

anyjay New Member

No-One has introduced themselves since 2011? We'll I'm Anyjay and I'm new to style!

4. Dobwin

Dobwin Member

Hey SF. I've been lurking around here for a while now. I've really active over on Reddit's /r/malefashionadvice for a year or two now. As of late however, I've been feeling really bored with their style have come over here for some fresh perspective. I don't know if it's the summer look or what, but I will kill someone if I have to see 18 commenters talk about how great and creative a blue OCBD and chino shorts with boat shoes looks.

I've been at this fashion game for about 3 years now, and oh wow did I start out bad. I started with terrible button-ups over oversized graphic tees like most, then decided that SUITS ALL DAY EVERYDAY was how to dress better (I was a freshman in college -,- ). Also, no, they did not fit. I got seriously into fashion about a year ago when my girlfriend broke up with me and I decided to improve my appearance.

Nowadays, I don't really know what I would label my style as. It's kinda a prep/biz casual/slight streetwear... thing.

As for my work I run a web marketing company in northern VT, though I'm looking to move us to Boston within a year or two. Very limited market up here.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. elflord1973

elflord1973 Member

Hi. After lurking for a while, I decided to create an account here.

I recently turned 40 and decided that I want to dress like a grown up. No more suit jackets masquerading as blazers. No more ill fitting shirts or pants. So I'm reading and learning. My hobby in the immediate future will be in picking up some more shirts online. I've already bought several from cottonwork (was quite happy with the experience overall), am also looking to try something from mytailor.com.

6. BigBayesian

BigBayesian New Member

Hello, I'm new, though I've searched the forums for information from time to time. I'm a vision and computer scientist by training and trade. I also work from home, and live in the Hudson Valley, meaning that any sartorial limits I obey beyond obscenity laws are solely by choice. I noticed a few months ago that despite having graduated a few years ago, I was still dressing like a computer science graduate student who works from home. I decided to fix this problem, and as with many commonplace problems, I felt the best place to turn for advice was a network of obsessed amateurs (Pros tend to have agendas. Amateurs enjoy the study, and put low value on their time, so are more likely to want to be helpful, and as long as my questions are basic enough, likely to be able to meet my needs). I view shopping as a kind of optimization exercise, so I've spent a little time n Dappered Threads, a more thrifty fashion forum.

Anyhow, I'm most interested in classic style. I have good intuition about space, color and light, but an atrophied aesthetic sense I'm trying to rebuild / rescue.

7. surfempty

surfempty New Member

I'm Dan. Married psychotherapist, father of 3 cheeky monkeys. Joined to buy stuff.

8. Joker007

Joker007 Member

Hi!

I'm
    -Chris
    -39 years old
    -married without kids
    -wear Denims 24/7
    -and come from Germany.

Started my apprenticeship at a shirt company and since then been a little bit addicted to men's woven shirts in particular and cloths in general and love leather, so another passion besides shirts are shoes & leather jackets.

Hope to enjoy each visit here.

Regards,

Chris

9. joshbrodiee

joshbrodiee New Member

Hey, I'm josh, I'm 21 live in the UK and am a custom shirt hobbyist haha [​IMG]

I love this forum for inspiration and thought I'd finally join, all my customs are on my instagram - joshbrodiee
    I'd love to follow anyone who is into the same thing, share ideas etc.

Thanks​

10. joeadams sa

joeadams sa New Member

I'm Joe. I have been working in the clothing industry for over 20 years. I spent the beginning of my career working as buyer for a major department store in new England, and now own my own business. I have unique knowledge of mens fashion and where to find the best quality for the lowest prices.

11. dynamite9500

dynamite9500 New Member

Hey,

Name's Daniel, I'm 24. Just recently started paying attention to what I was wearing,

The marketplace brought me here, but I'm planning to stay and be a part of your vibrant community!

12. Mashfir

Mashfir Member

Hey,

I've been lurking the threads for quite some time now in order to study up before I actually start putting serious money into my wardrobe. I've read up a lot on Put This On, Squalor to Baller, The Silentist, Die, Workwear!, etc. I have recently found myself becoming quite interested in classic conservative style but with more contemporary (but not sausage casing) fits. Created an account to lurk the marketplace more for some deals as well as learn how to properly tailor clothes to my uncommon build.

13. GMTmaster

GMTmaster New Member

Hi! I'm Paul. I'm new to this site. I am still making my way through the different threads and posts. I love watches. i am a very busy man, but I do find a few minutes at night to lurk and learn from all of you here. I'm glad to be part of this forum.

14. JamesBracken

JamesBracken New Member

I've been lurking the forums for some time now, I'm happy I finally bit the bullet and joined up. Styleforum has been one of my go-to sites for looking up reviews and tips and I am ecstatic to be part of this great community.

15. EdwardMorich

EdwardMorich New Member

Hi Guys let me introduce my self. Name Edward Morich from London. I'm the owner of MORich Undies :) Nice to be here

16. Overloaded

Overloaded New Member

Hey everyone, I'm 21 from the UK and I'm here for the fresh white tees and raw denim

Oh and I like to lift heavy things up and put them back down

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  17. seventiessister

seventiessister Active Member

Hi, I'm SeventiesSister - I'm married with 3 sons (am I allowed to be on here, being a woman?) I started to look on Styleforum for one of my boys - a present for graduation and there's some great articles and items for sale. Are there any other females on here? I live in a totally male household - which is great so, being on a mostly male forum for fashion etc., doesn't bother me, hope you guys dont mind me being on here. Oh, yeah I love English Bullterriers (known as the gentlemans' breed - when Hinks 'created' his first true EBT in c.1840), we were really into breeding/showing a good few years ago but dont have any at the moment due to our work committments. Also, I do like to cook - love Greek food, Greece and New York are my top two favourite places. Surprisingly, yes, I like to do the laundry but hate ironing. I love looking after my family (actually its a bit like having 4 sons if I include my husband.) I also prefer American Football to English football - and get just as much sport as any woman can take, funny though when a girly film is on TV everyone drifts out the room!!! I do have the opportunity to go and meet up with one of my six sisters every now and again to get as much girly gossip as possible, then luckily I can go home and back to normality with my guys (so much easier). x

18. Rafael T

Rafael T New Member

I like style, but got none. I lurk sometimes. I like jeans.

Cheers,
    Rafael T

1 person likes this.
  19. ApplesauceNinja

ApplesauceNinja Member

Hello all My name is Chance, and I'm a 37 year old retail business manager from the great state of Arkansas. I have a love for classic men's fashion (vintage sport coats and blazers are my weakness) and I try to avoid fads and trends. When I'm not at work, my go to style is a decent sport coat over a solid colored button up paired with dark denim jeans, my favorite brown oxfords, AND my signature cologne. I believe your outfit isn't complete without a great scent, for the record. Sometimes I'll have fun with my look and rock either my electric blue or fire engine red blazers (which my fiance despises and I adore, lol) in place of my more usually subdued look. I don't make a ton of money, so about 95% of what I see in men's style publications is simply a nice dream for me, but I've found that there are ways to dress like a million bucks without spending the same amount. Right now about half of my wardrobe is unwearable because I allowed myself to get a little too comfortable with eating poorly, but rest assured I am working on it, and soon I'll be able to once again throw on my favorite Seersucker jacket. ;) That's right. Seersucker. Don't judge. I look forward to exploring this site and interacting with everyone. Take it easy!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  20. takeiyamasaki

takeiyamasaki New Member

hi, all, i'm takei. ill be posting some hours worn fryes in a few.