1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Interior Design for Men

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by k23zzz, May 14, 2012.

1. k23zzz

k23zzz Member

http://ofironandoak.com
    Whats going on all, I recently launched a website called of Iron & Oak. We're a website focused on dissolving the polarizing groups of interior design. We are also involved in mens lifestyle discussion.

I'm looking for any feedback on the content/design/site or topics you'd like to see us talk about.
    Thanks!

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

that design is not suited to earthquake country.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

oh snap!

no wait, seriously, won't at least one of those bottles crack at some point?

1 person likes this.
  5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Code:

Pretty basic, how about devling a little deeper into good design and how to organize your space. I think it's less about having an eames lounge and more about how to coordinate a room or combine styles to make your own style.

Great to know that Edison bulbs are cool, better to know that they go well in a room with a brick interior wall and less so in a place with drywall.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

7. k23zzz

k23zzz Member

Would have had more effect had you said just, terrible. Or... one word, terrible.

But could you go into your opinion a little further. I'm looking for constructive criticism, not childish remarks.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. You're right. Most of our writers lack experience in interior design, so we're all working on becoming more knowledgeable. We recently had an unforseen traffic overload with over 15,000 views in one day so we're really just trying to churn out content at this point.

8. Find Finn

Gladly.

Why start a blog about a subject, you don't know alot about, besides interest, you aren't exactly the best source of knowledge.

Most good design blog's are run by people who work in interior design or furniture, so they have a good deal of experience (I'm talking about tumblr here).

The wine rack posted higher up, was cool 5< years ago, if not more, home depot'esque shops sells them for 20$.

The photography in show our own home post, isn't up to par of what it should be for a (semi)pro blog, it most of all reminds me of a mix between a tourist shot and a teenage girl taking photo class.

How to make it better, you ask:

Titles like "Your Walls Suck, Let’s Fix that" are a bit bro, to say the least and will put a lot of people of.
    You need to be more up on current and upcoming trends and products, instead of going back in time.
    last but not least SOURCE your pictures, sourcing a tumblr is not good enough, you need the original source or the source can sue you.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  9. k23zzz

k23zzz Member

^^^ all valid and fair, thank you very much.

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Also, you have shitty taste in everything.

11. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

You also use "shit" and "ass" too often.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Why are you writing about this if you know nothing about it?

lol

13. Find Finn

Yeah that caught my eye as well.

I lol'ed

It's sort of scary that it's supposed to be an advertising blog for a furniture firm, based on the blog alone, I wouldn't buy anything from them. I find it a little scary, that you work with branding and still make these mistakes, honestly you should know better.

14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

:lurk:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I suppose I get his idea, but I think rather than taking aim at the well established interior design sources, might be better off simply finding a worthwhile niche and becoming an expert at it. misadventures in interior design such as making proper accommodations for a wall hung TV, or a simple room layout, how to create and procure your own style and how to blend that with the home you live in, so on and so forth.

I'm sure a lot of 20 something do-it-yourselfers woud be interested in knowing a lot of these simple things that are tough to glean from Architectural digest which features homes many steps ahead of most.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

+this

its not that there isn't room for something like this...its just that this attempt is not working. If you don't have a good mind for how stuff goes together, it can be pretty hard to figure out how to DIY something you see in a magazine without it failing.

Personally I am good at that kind of thing but I don't seem to do well "bringing it all together" I know what elements I like, and I when I see an overall design concept that I like, I immediately recongize that fact...but something keeps me from doing well on my own. A little outside guidance or even just someone giving me a piece that I would never have thought of myself but that totally works--that's good.

Telling me I need an edison lamp is not good....either I already know that and want one, or I don't want one. What might be helpful is helping me out with that thing in the corner of the room that the edison lamp is hanging in (except not...because I don't have an edison lamp).