1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Communities and Isolated American groups

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jpeirpont, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

south Carolina seems ripe with tri racial isolates. "The Turks of South Carolina are a group of people related to the Free Moors of South Carolina and the Brass Ankles, who lived near Stateburg, South Carolina. It is believed these people come from a Middle Eastern background."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_of_South_Carolina

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I drove through Gullah country on the backroads this past weekend, from Savannah to Tallahassee. Kind of interesting, going through all those old rural settlements. Definitely got some stares :laugh: Anyway, passed through one little community where everyone looked mixed, was south of Riceboro, IIRC, but I can't even find it on google maps.

3. jpeirpont

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    The south has to be way more interesting in that respect. You drive through new England most interesting thing you might come across is a Swamp Yankee. You ever read Bill Bryson's book where he drove through small town America? He look for Melungeons while in Appalachia but couldn't find any. Also went to coastal SC but unfortunately didn't check out Gullah folk.

4. FLMountainMan

Yeah, it's a lot more diverse. It's one of the best things about the South.

5. burningbright

burningbright Well-Known Member

Great thread! I've always been more interested with the accents though more than anything.

Tangier Island Accent:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Outer Banks Brogue Vocabulary:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Appalachian English:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. millionaire75

millionaire75 Well-Known Member

Just watched that documentary on the Whites.....wow is all I can say....

7. FLMountainMan

Yes. That should be mandatory viewing for white supremacists. The saddest things were the grandma's birthday party and the kids. Funniest was the guy who shot his cousin in the face, then engaged in a two-day standoff with the police where he shot at them, and then thought the judge would let him off with probation.

8. jpeirpont

I have never heard of the Pondshiners until today. Seems the do not exist anymore.
    http://www.themorningnews.org/article/the-lost-pondshiners

9. FLMountainMan

Also, I miss Jpierpont

1 person likes this.
  10. jpeirpont

Thanks for the shout out FLMM! I am almost (Florence, SC) in your part of the nation but am still doing some moving around.

1 person likes this.
  11. jpeirpont

Gee's Bend blacks are a group of Blacks from Alabama that were cut off from other Blacks and white because their land could only be reached by ferry. They like Geechies retained more African cultural feature than most blacks are really famous for their quilts. I plan on buying one of their quilts soon enough.

[​IMG]